PDA

View Full Version : Contribute to Recommended Hardware and get thanked here!

trash
August 17th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Well this may not be allowed but I am gonna try anyway.

Anybody who posts their experience with hardware that works OUT OF THE BOX to the Recommended hardware list which is found here..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecommendedHardware

will get 'thanks' here by many!:lolflag:

To collect your 'thanks' you MUST post a link to your contribution!

Guidelines for posting to the Recommended Hardware list...

The only rule for posting here is that you must list only hardware that will work immediately with Ubuntu. The hardware cannot require the user to compile anything, install extra software, edit files, or do any further tweaking. It must work without any extra effort.

Please keep everything on this one page. The idea is that it is supposed to be a small, digestible list of recommended hardware instead of a large, comprehensive list of all hardware.

FJGamer
August 17th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Someone else can add my hardware for me. (I don't want to participate in any wiki.)

My onboard Intel video chip on my Dell Optiplex GX270 worked through the Ubuntu Hardy live CD, no installation required. Also, my added ATI Radeon X1300 (AGP) graphics card was working after installing the Catalyst driver, which was available on the live CD after I installed the OS. I was not able to use the card until I fully installed the OS and the Catalyst junk, but it did not give me any trouble afterwards, and the only negative effect of the AGP card is a very short delay during startup, which shows a completely red (background color) screen. After two seconds, it continues to load and everything looks awesome.

Hope that helps. Ubuntu rules.

trash
August 18th, 2008, 12:38 AM
hehe, i'm not crazy about wiki's either. I'd give you a 'thanks' but if I start that people will just post here and it would defeat the purpose, hope you understand. Hope a verbal thanks is ok!:lolflag:

I do hope who ever posts on your behalf will give you 'thanks' though hehe.

Swarms
August 18th, 2008, 12:41 AM
This is the wrong way to do it, the proper way would be a friendly Web UI that compare the individual parts with a large database containing information on it.
I could imagine a big button at Ubuntu.com saying "See if your computer is Ubuntu ready".

Usercase;
Little Nero wants to see if the listed computer is compatible with Ubuntu, so he types in his specs and press enter. It will now search the database saying what should work out of the box. And if something doesn't, it might post links for easy workarounds (this should be a temporary solution until the hardware gets supported.)

The information should be gathered (by the users will) that it collect the info from his/hers computer and submit it to the net.

This is a lot easier than downloading and burning an .iso to try the livecd out and could help a lot more deciding to try Ubuntu if they knew there computer would work.

trash
August 18th, 2008, 01:05 AM
An easier way would be nice for sure.
In the first few releases of Ubuntu there was a 'Submit your hardware' type thing and I always did it on every machine i installed ubuntu on. Don't know how all that info was used or why it's no longer used but it seems it could have done the job collecting data by running immediately after an install before any files could be tweaked and asking the user what works and what doesn't.

geekygirl
August 18th, 2008, 01:51 AM
As an addition to this if people are interested in submitting working hardware to the Ubuntu Gaming PC Hardware site please send me a message :)

I am after gaming PC hardware only - but this should be great addition to the already existant wiki.

The more the merrier :D

(Please note the site is still being developed and having information written in a standardised format - so don't be too harsh!)

jualin
August 18th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Sounds like a good plan. I only have one question though. If everything on my computer (webcam, compiz, hot keys) worked except the wireless but it was fixed using Ndiswrapper can I post my laptop as 99% Ubuntu ready? :)

trash
August 18th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Sounds like a good plan. I only have one question though. If everything on my computer (webcam, compiz, hot keys) worked except the wireless but it was fixed using Ndiswrapper can I post my laptop as 99% Ubuntu ready? :)

99% doesn't cut it on the Recommended hardware list:lolflag:

trash
August 18th, 2008, 04:14 AM
K well I just tried to get over my own dislike for Wiki's by trying to post about an SMC USB wireless adapter... guess what, I now hate Wiki's even more than before. No wonder people avoid it!

I was able to login but thats it, everytime i clicked a link i'd be signed out again....:confused:

jualin
August 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM
99% doesn't cut it on the Recommended hardware list:lolflag:

So I guess that's a no?:(

kernelhaxor
August 18th, 2008, 08:37 AM
This is the wrong way to do it, the proper way would be a friendly Web UI that compare the individual parts with a large database containing information on it.
I could imagine a big button at Ubuntu.com saying "See if your computer is Ubuntu ready".

Usercase;
Little Nero wants to see if the listed computer is compatible with Ubuntu, so he types in his specs and press enter. It will now search the database saying what should work out of the box. And if something doesn't, it might post links for easy workarounds (this should be a temporary solution until the hardware gets supported.)

The information should be gathered (by the users will) that it collect the info from his/hers computer and submit it to the net.

This is a lot easier than downloading and burning an .iso to try the livecd out and could help a lot more deciding to try Ubuntu if they knew there computer would work.

I think they are in the process of doing that already. Under System Tools, there is a tool called Ubuntu Device Database. I ran that a few days ago, and it collected all the information about my computer hardware, it asked which things worked and which didnt and it then submitted the info to http://hwdb.ubuntu.com/ ..

kernelhaxor
August 18th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I think its a relatively unknown feature. We should encourage people to run that tool and make their submission so that Ubuntu can build a strong hardware database (which things work and which dont)

Applications -> System Tools -> Ubuntu Device Database (If you can't find it, you should go to System->Preferences->Main Menu and add it to the menu)

I dont know how to start it from the terminal.

stinger30au
August 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM
i had a read thru the page and it does not even tell you had to add stuff to it...

what a silly idea that is.

so here is an item i have that works out of the box with sane image scanner and that is a Canon LIDE 20 USB scanner

trash
August 18th, 2008, 12:59 PM
So I guess that's a no?:(

Well I did just notice a few other posts there with the same situation so I guess it is ok with the list creator... go for it:)

trash
August 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I think they are in the process of doing that already. Under System Tools, there is a tool called Ubuntu Device Database. I ran that a few days ago, and it collected all the information about my computer hardware, it asked which things worked and which didnt and it then submitted the info to http://hwdb.ubuntu.com/ ..

Ah I guess it's only available with Gnome install, I'm only using Xubuntu now.

Well it's nice to know the tool is still being used but obviously it is not being used to it's FULL potential.

How would we go about changing how it's used?

EDIT: I really don't think it is even being used anymore by Dev's... this is what i get when i click on an entry... ZERO data.

This is an interim page, that does not show more then some basic data from the dataset.
If you dont see any cpu or memory data below, you might have sent a broken file,
this is most likely the case if hal is not running or has the wrong (non ubuntu hoary or breezy) version.

trash
August 18th, 2008, 01:20 PM
i had a read thru the page and it does not even tell you had to add stuff to it...

what a silly idea that is.

so here is an item i have that works out of the box with sane image scanner and that is a Canon LIDE 20 USB scanner

It should be as simple as registering/logging in and then clicking edit but this doesn't work for me either.

graabein
August 18th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Have you seen DoctorMo's Dohickey Project (http://dohickey-project.com/about.shtml)?

trash
August 18th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Have you seen DoctorMo's Dohickey Project (http://dohickey-project.com/about.shtml)?

Looks great, I hope they are going to develope a web interface so people don't have to download.

DoctorMO
August 30th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Looks great, I hope they are going to develope a web interface so people don't have to download.

By 'they' you mean me, muggins here. then yes the plan is to develop a django based website and scrap the current perl based one. Then do more work on it from a structural standpoint and maybe get other developers involved. One of the major problems is getting at least one other developer who you can bounce off of to motivate you to continue development.

the wiki page... it's ok I guess for general info, but it's not clever and you can't do interesting things with it.

trash
August 30th, 2008, 02:56 PM
By 'they' you mean me, muggins here. then yes the plan is to develop a django based website and scrap the current perl based one. Then do more work on it from a structural standpoint and maybe get other developers involved. One of the major problems is getting at least one other developer who you can bounce off of to motivate you to continue development.

the wiki page... it's ok I guess for general info, but it's not clever and you can't do interesting things with it.

Sorry I did't realize it was your baby! So maybe you can tell us why the Ubuntu hardware tool seems to have been forgotten?
Maybe you need to get a thread going to stir up some more interest in your project. Concidering how useful a tool it could be to new linux users, there should be plenty of people willing to jump on board.

DoctorMO
August 31st, 2008, 11:05 PM
People yes, programmers and people who can help, no. There are plenty of people who want to use the tool, only a handful that want to help and of those who have things that could be employed well... lets just say that the forums are not a good place to get developers on board.

What it needs, is to be finished. Otherwise programmers will never grasp the utility and not see the point in helping me rather than other hardware databases.

It's always the problem with being innovative, if you can't show it in a real done thing, people don't want to know. that's why there are so many crap copies of windows tools (bad idea) instead of thinking about the problem with fresh eyes.

Lord Xeb
August 31st, 2008, 11:27 PM
My ATI X300 works fine with Ubuntu. Also, an IBM T43 works great with Ubuntu in general. It is faster than windows ever could have been.

trash
September 1st, 2008, 12:35 AM
People yes, programmers and people who can help, no. There are plenty of people who want to use the tool, only a handful that want to help and of those who have things that could be employed well... lets just say that the forums are not a good place to get developers on board.

What it needs, is to be finished. Otherwise programmers will never grasp the utility and not see the point in helping me rather than other hardware databases.

It's always the problem with being innovative, if you can't show it in a real done thing, people don't want to know. that's why there are so many crap copies of windows tools (bad idea) instead of thinking about the problem with fresh eyes.

a drag indeed, well we'll do what we can...... :crackscommunitywhip::lolflag:

FJGamer
September 15th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I upgraded to Intrepid today, and my wireless card (Xtreasys XN2628) works (without NDIS, unless Intrepid automatically installed it again... I don't think it did, because I'm using the default Ubuntu app to control the card now). The ATI card stopped working after the upgrade, but I reinstalled (uninstall and install) and everything was working again. Also, Intrepid fixed PCSX, so I'm playing Brave Fencer Musashi at a high resolution.

:popcorn: All in all, the upgrade was a success. Very few fixes needed.

fatality_uk
September 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Just added my Dell 530 and nVidia 8800gt plus my Belkin wireless G USB dongle.