PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Driver HELP

tkdman09
August 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Hi guys. I'm really excited to use ubuntu. I installed it after Windows XP Pro and the GRUB loaded after the entire ubuntu installation and i chose to boot ubuntu rather than XP. All goes fine. I have to load into failsafe Gnome to install my ATI Radeon Xpress 200 video card driver. So I go to System>>Administration>>Hardware Drivers and install it. I restart my computer. I boot up and log in. All is well. I change my screen resolution to the 1040x760 or whatever it is (I can't remember). All is well. I download and install Compiz-Fusion from http://www.polishubuntu.co.nr/ . It's supposed to download and install itself. It seems to work. I later change some Advanced Desktop Effects Settings and restart my computer. When I restart, I get an error that says something along the lines of me using low-graphics settings. I have to choose my monitor, resolution, and which graphics driver to choose from. I'm not even sure if I chose the right driver. I boot up, and I cant change my screen resolution to anything higher than 800x600. I have no idea how to fix this issue. By the way...I'm a complete linux n00b.

Some more notes....

Device Driver in "Hardware Drivers" says = ATI graphics driver

In its current state, the green light says its in use, but there is no check in the enabled box. When I check it, I have to restart. When i restart i get the low graphics error.

I've tried some community help, where i download some open source drivers and then install them all through the terminal? I get so confused and some things just dont work.

I've had this problem before, and just chose to delete the partitions in XP and reinstall ubuntu to try and fix the problem. Just my luck, it happens again. It must be something im doing wrong.

This might require someone with some patience. I'm a complete linux n00b and im VERY eager to learn the way it works. :)

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

UPDATE

I restart my computer, and my computer booted into 1024x786 on its own. i looked at the Device Hardware drives and my ATI driver has a red light and says NOT IN USE and its not enabled. Now i dont know if i install it that way again, or do some unknown terminal commands to get the open source version because im still confused.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

UPDATE

I disabled the driver in Hardware Drivers and then re booted into Gnome session and its all good except for the fact that i cant enable the driver and restart without my graphics going screwy.

Partyboi2
August 18th, 2008, 10:38 AM
You could try envy (http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html) to install the driver. if you are using hardy you already have compiz -fusion installed by default.