PDA

View Full Version : Baby Boomers Using Linux?

dhughes
August 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I'm curious if there are many Baby Boomers (approx. age range of 62 to 50) who use Linux, since I'm sure they are pretty comfortable using computers being introduced to them in the early 1980's.

It's a huge group of people, now at or beginning to retire and looking for hobbies or something to do.

My theory is since the Boomers are comfortable with computers and probably use the web and e-mail they may start to gravitate towards Linux and Ubuntu being a friendly looking distribution and with a great community they may adopt Ubuntu.

I've read that in the USA alone there are 1000 Boomers retiring every day! Maybe there should be a Boombuntu for retired Boombers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomer

cpetercarter
August 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
This baby boomer is a keen Ubuntu enthusiast. A special forum section for Ubuntu for Crumblies, perhaps?

bmac
August 17th, 2008, 10:31 PM
As a baby boomer (BB) I migrated to Ubuntu with FF from Vista and haven't looked back. I've assisted many other BBs in installing Ubuntu and believe they represent a large group that if informed would be interested in taking the tux ride. Most BB(s) I know weren't aware that Ubuntu was available - much less free. Once informed they seem to be extremely receptive. A small advertisement in our local newspaper resulted in a large number of responses (most of which were BBs. I can't count how many Ubuntu disks I've burned and given away to them and of course assisted in installation / basic functionality.

Most BBs have used MS for many years (work) and similar to many forum users are excited when informed of a stable, non-threatening alternative. Especially, when informed that this OS has minimal to no problems with virsus, spyware, adware, etc. This alone has intrigued many a BB I've know or have met....

dhughes
August 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM
If the Boomers picked up Ubuntu (or any Linux distro) it would be huge! I don't think people, say under the age of 30, realize how big that would be.

Consider what happened as the Boomers were growing up and how they influenced the economy and culture with such things as the minivan, Boomers buying homes in the early 1980's caused a huge rush on real estate (which will reverse soon...if not now), oldies rock stations.

People often say sarcastically "it's the year of Linux" but knowing the 1% share is pretty dismal compared to Windows 95, Apple's 4% (?).

I think if the word got out about Linux and especially Ubuntu the Boomers could make it the year of Linux.

FJGamer
August 17th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I was born in 1985, and I grew up with DOS and Battle Chess. I don't think I'm a baby boomer, but my Dad is like 40 or so these days and is probably the biggest Linux guru I know. He's a software engineer and works with loads of servers and is basically the only computer expert where he works. They rely on him for everything... even what OS they use.

I only moved to Ubuntu a couple weeks ago, but I only have a few things I need Windows for, DirectX games and Adobe products. Well, I've pretty much given up Photoshop for GIMP, but I need a replacement for Flash. I can't get Synfig or KToon to work.

So yeah, I go into Windows to play GTA San Andreas and a few "Steam-powered" games. Other than that, Ubuntu wins.

Lazarus500
August 18th, 2008, 05:17 AM
The BBs most comfortable with GNU/Linux are those who starting using a computer before Windows was on he scene. They had to use CPM or DOS, and everything was done through the CLI.

john6k
August 18th, 2008, 05:30 AM
My dad is a BB and just built his own desktop pc after ordering all the partse online. I was impressed when I saw the completed machine. He installed Ubuntu on it after hearing me talk it up.
He had problems playing audio/video files but apart from that he didn't seem to have any issues at all. He has a VISTA PC that crawls, the speed of the Ubuntu box really impressed him. I think it'll become his primary machine within time.