PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep up with forums as huge as ubuntuforums.org?

urko99
August 17th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Keeping up with forums of this size can be very time consuming. So how do you keep up with the latest posts and still spare yourself some free time?
Since there are 300+ new posts within an hour, why there's no option for choosing new threads only?

schauerlich
August 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Keeping up with forums of this size can be very time consuming. So how do you keep up with the latest posts and still spare yourself some free time?

I have no life.

Since there are 300+ new posts within an hour, why there's no option for choosing new threads only?

There's a New Posts button at the top in the same bar as the User CP button. Is that what you mean?

FuturePilot
August 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Under "Search" dropdown menu at the top you can "Get all new posts" or get new posts within a specified time period.

I don't know everything about Ubuntu, but I do have a lot of knowledge in a few areas, so I only really read through a small handful of the subforums that deal with the areas that I am knowledgeable in.

Canis familiaris
August 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Also Just Visit few of your favourite Subforums i.e. which you are comfortable to keep up with.
You really dont need to visit all Subforums or read all new threads. ;)

schauerlich
August 17th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Also Just Visit few of your favourite Subforums i.e. which you are comfortable to keep up with.
You really dont need to visit all Subforums or read all new threads. ;)

OMGPP and FF&H are the two I keep read constantly.

emshains
August 17th, 2008, 09:04 PM
If I want to post or help, It only takes me 3-7 visits at the forum tab, then I choose the most recent topics by their name or by default and then I reply. After that I've earned my self-establishment back, so I can go play games where I loose again! :P

urko99
August 17th, 2008, 09:07 PM
There are roughly 300 new posts per hour. That's 7200 per day. Way too much time spent to find two or three I could help on solving. So I need some tool to discover new threads and subscribe to then.

schauerlich
August 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
There are roughly 300 new posts per hour. That's 7200 per day. Way too much time spent to find two or three I could help on solving. So I need some tool to discover new threads and subscribe to then.

Basically, just sit in Absolute Beginner Talk and refresh every once in a while until you see a thread you can help with. If you can't help with any, then don't.

nick09
August 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Does this forum support a rss feed?

Nepherte
August 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I just focus on the first pages of 'Absolutely Beginners', 'General Questions', '64 bit', 'Hardware' and 'Security. I always check the topics I've posted in as well. The Community café is for when I'm bored...now, that is.

Technoviking
August 17th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Does this forum support a rss feed?

Yes it does.
http://ubuntuforums.org/external.php?type=RSS2

RATM_Owns
August 17th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I look at page 1 of General Help, Absolute Beginner Talk, Tutorials and Community Cafe.

And I only look at topics that interest me.

That makes maybe 3 topics every 10 minutes, at the most.

billgoldberg
August 17th, 2008, 09:42 PM

Skimming the titles.

Spike-X
August 17th, 2008, 09:43 PM
You know you don't have to read every post/thread, right?

urko99
August 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I look at page 1 of General Help, Absolute Beginner Talk, Tutorials and Community Cafe.

And I only look at topics that interest me.

That makes maybe 3 topics every 10 minutes, at the most.

I think I'll stick to this advice. I'm still a beginner so there won't be any damage :D Thanks for all the posts!