PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Imagemagick convert command works no more in Hardy 8.04

ozanmert
August 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Hi All,

I had been using the convert command of Imagemagick for years without a problem, to convert postscript files to jpg, png etc. on various Debian and Ubuntu distributions.... until yesterday, when I did an upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy.

"convert" command now fails with the following error messages. "humid.ps" exists.

$convert -density 100x100 humid.ps humid.png

convert: Postscript delegate failed `humid.ps': No such file or directory.
convert: missing an image filename `humid.png'

or with the following, depending on the specific postscript file:

$convert -density 100x100 cells.ps cells.png

Error: /dictstackunderflow in --end--
Operand stack:

Execution stack:
%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1905 1 3 %oparray_pop 1904 1 3 %oparray_pop 1888 1 3 %oparray_pop 1771 1 3 %oparray_pop --nostringval-- %errorexec_pop .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
--dict:1156/1684(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict:94/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Current file position is 8629
GPL Ghostscript 8.61: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
Error: /dictstackunderflow in --end--
Operand stack:

Execution stack:
%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1905 1 3 %oparray_pop 1904 1 3 %oparray_pop 1888 1 3 %oparray_pop 1771 1 3 %oparray_pop --nostringval-- %errorexec_pop .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
--dict:1156/1684(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict:94/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Current file position is 8629
GPL Ghostscript 8.61: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
convert: Postscript delegate failed `cells.ps': No such file or directory.
convert: missing an image filename `cells.png'.

I digged Google to no luck. Some say this is a Ghostscript problem. I have the Ghostscript version 8.61, Imagemagick 6.4.2.

Please help me solve this very annoying problem. I don't understand why the developers ruin this kind of very fundamental thing.

Thanks in advance

cariboo
August 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM
The message you are getting is stating that it can't find the .ps files. Have you tried using the path to the file eg:

/home/usr/filename.ps

Jim

ozanmert
August 17th, 2008, 10:42 PM
The message you are getting is stating that it can't find the .ps files. Have you tried using the path to the file eg:

/home/usr/filename.ps

Jim

Thanks Jim, but as I wrote:

"humid.ps" exists

ozanmert
August 17th, 2008, 11:51 PM
FOR EVERYONE'S INFORMATION

After searching hours and hours for a solution, I solved my own problem by removing the apt version of Imagemagick and manually installing an older version. It is the version 6.2.8. As I read in another forum, versions starting from 6.3 have the potential of not being able to work with Ghostscript properly. The reason is unknown.

It is hard to conceive how the developers manage to ruin the stability of a software of this importance. I want to remind them here, on behalf of everyone that the primary philosophy of GNU is to provide free and useful software to the public, and NOT to create new versions every other day and advertise them at the expense of hard-earned stability.

daltonh
December 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I was getting an error (convert: Postscript delegate failed) trying to convert an eps file to a jpg using convert (imagemagick) in hardy. Following this thread I tried a few things, including installing GPL gs from source (8.63) but the error remained.

Then noticed an ubuntu package graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat which replaces imagemagick with apparently similar functionality. Installed that and the problem was solved.

Hope this helps someone.

Luffield
March 4th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Then noticed an ubuntu package graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat which replaces imagemagick with apparently similar functionality. Installed that and the problem was solved.

Hope this helps someone.

It did - thanks!