PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot question

georgeadey1
August 17th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Ok at the moment I have the latest version of Ubuntu installed, but i want to be able to dual boot with xp sp2. I have the xp boot cd, so do i just create another partition and install xp onto that?

Diabolis
August 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Yes, it won't do any changes in your Ubuntu partition.

SuperSonic4
August 17th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Yep and then reinstall grub

georgeadey1
August 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM
and grub is?

Diabolis
August 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Grub is the boot loader, the software that will allow you to choose the operating system that you want to use each time you turn on your pc. You can also set a default OS.

You'll find plenty information about grub and how to install it here in the forums.

There are also complete guides about dual booting if you need step by step instructions.

georgeadey1
August 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM
can anyone point me in the direction of the dual booting guides?

Diabolis
August 17th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Ubuntu documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switching/dualboot.html

georgeadey1
August 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I am using ubuntu at the moment and want to install xp on the seperate partition does this change anything? Im still unsure about grub when, where and how do i install it

georgeadey1
August 17th, 2008, 09:02 PM
actually no i have changed my mind, i am now going to install xp over the partition that contains ubuntu. I shall pursue linux at some other time, is there anything i should watch out for?

Diabolis
August 17th, 2008, 09:04 PM
You said that you already have a spare partition for windows xp, so:

1.- install xp as usual.

2.- boot ubuntu from a live-cd and open a terminal

3.- reinstall grub.

Thats all.

If you install Ubuntu after windows has been installed, grub will be installed automatically.

ajgreeny
August 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
If you have really decided to overwrite Ubuntu with windows, then it should all go without problem and any sign of Ubuntu will be erased for ever, or at least until you decide that you can't stand the problems of windows any more and try Ubuntu or another linux again.

I thought rather like you when I first started with linux, but for about 3 years now I have hardly ever booted into windows, and each time I move to the new version of Ubuntu, my windows partition gets smaller and smaller as I reduce its size. There will come a time when I just get rid of it, but I need a new scanner first and until that breaks, it's cheaper to just keep a small windows partition to run that alone. Soon however ---.

georgeadey1
August 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
No but now I dont want ubuntu at all, i just want to have xp as the sole operating system, im saying there shouldnt be any problems installing xp over the partition that contains ubuntu is there?

georgeadey1
August 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
kk just got it cheers

Slug71
August 17th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Dude how big is your Harddrive? I really recommend giving Ubuntu a chance.
Just think no Viruses or BS!