PDA

View Full Version : Now is the time for all good computer people to come to the aide of their fellow man.

Neobuntu
August 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM
The following quoted post was in reference to a discussion found, about the "need" to run propitiatory components such as Microsoft Office and other non-free items on top of your open software, in the SO CALLED "Windows world". I thought it may benefit the Ubuntu forum.:KS

LOL, That last post was amusing true, if not a bit angry. Hey, anger has is appropriate purposes. It’s what you do about is that matters; faithful vs. fearful.

Let us not forget that theses issues are indeed disappearing (literally ever day) as more people discover freedom, security, flexibility and yes, now better user ease, for the newbie and guru alike. Who doesn’t benefit from time saved?

Just please remember, MOST folks have trouble using a MOUSE. This all about a point of view. The developers know that a bundle built on a shaky foundation will fall. We have an excellent and ever improving foundation folks! This is what the OLD “Linux is hard” stuff was all about. Now, overall (still faster improving than any close software could) we actually have an OVERALL better total bundle/distribution of software packages (See Kubuntu current for example) than Windows or OS-X.

The problem is perspective. It’s a point of view. MOST peoples perspective is based on TV commercials and differs hugely from the technically well experienced. We can see the dirty tricks that are actually and in fact, going on in the technical minutia. MOST people, the average person, can not.

People do NOT like change. We have (us) a real battle going on and it’s in the mind of the general and NONTECHNICAL populace. It’s not religion. It’s current reality. The real world propaganda war is a fact. Here and in the minds of MOST people. People who are (again) mostly (approximately 75%) nontechnical and nor are they supposed to be. The thing is, once one gets into actually living with open software for a while, one tends to lose the gravity of most peoples, complete computer illiteracy. This is why I am over emphasizing it.

If you for get anything I’m writing here, please remember this. People expect absolute perfection from open software, as it challenges the status quo. Mainly, people (in general) want absolute zero effort or risk. While that perfection may not be possible. Nothing less is our goal. That is the deal folks. Take it or leave it. Nothing but excellence will do. Education is what’s needed and nothing will educate people better than actually using (for months) something easier, like Kubuntu (or the latest best bundle for a given hardware set.) I name Kubuntu, solely for simplification purposes.

Now is the time for all good computer people to come to the aide of their fellow man. What’s at stake is our (everyone’s) information freedom, unfettered free market competition, our savings from hardware “economies of scale”; that keep hardware prices low, zero software cost and real information standards, unlike we have never enjoyed before.

Ironically, the general population (most; please notice) is under the current reality distortion marketing push, which infers Windows is the standard; because of it’s past install base. What we have here, is the tired old idea that is inferring things will not change, because things haven’t changed. That’s not even logical. At one point is history Windows was new and not dominate. Windows today (and OS-X) is diminishing at an astounding rate. Today, open software installs, many that are not even counted (it’s free to try) are multiplying at an astounding rate. Windows has (ironically) become the anti-standard, in their sad bid to control the “market” and lock you in. Whole nations have taken to the tax saving and better experience that only comes from open software. It should make you wonder how much of YOUR tax money is WASTED on Windows “license fees”! I hope you fully realize that ALL of that tax money (100%) goes to zero, when governments, schools and such simply utilize BETTER open software solutions. What are we thinking?

The things is, people have to use open software a while before they will see. This is the current problem. The live CD was a great leap but we need more. To back this up we (of course) need to leave NO Win or OS-X benefit behind and then provide even more and greater benefits that are exclusive to open software. In effect, we have to shock people. We have to “market” this free gift (paid for by the hard work of developers) in a manner that spreads quickly to the nontechnical populace and then, we will see people stating they don’t want Windows because is can’t do what they need. We will see hardware developers not even bothering to make their product “Windows compatible” and this will even lower costs (to you) and increase OEM profits because the driver work will be largely done for them! All this is already started, well on it’s way today and inevitable, if you take part.

The only question now, is how fast will this happen? Well, that is solely up to you. What I do is present open software as the (far) “lesser of evils”. I explain, people want many, MANY things (in reality) from a desktop and that level of complexity is high and getting higher. What we need is a better way to manage this dynamic change. Clearly, open software (namely Kubuntu to simply for most boxes) manages all this absolutely better. While we may know a single OS system is easier to deal with, for newbies I wholly recommend a “dual boot” system. In this way a newbie has zero risk; in that they do not erase their Windows. What actually happens is both systems annoy users and they bounce back and forth over time. In the end, they realize that Kubuntu is better, IF they continue to give it a chance. They see this on their, same set of hardware devices(some poorly supported devices may need to be SIMPLY replaced for maximum time and money savings). Therefore, one can see for themselves and stop letting other people make their decisions for them. I’m will to let open software sink or swim on it’s own merit. Are you?

Don’t overwhelm people with all this. Just take it one step at a time. Be patient (and concise) when the many myths and misdirections (FUD) raise their ugly head (personally I abhor misinformation). The better job you do, the faster we will all get the benefits. Run the race to win!

Neobuntu
August 18th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Did you notice how Kubuntu was mentioned? Not as the only choice, but as a way to cut through the complexities.

Yuki_Nagato
August 18th, 2008, 04:51 AM
The author played that well.

Of anything else, Kubuntu was the distribution to plant there with its Windows-friendly GUI.

Neobuntu
August 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I don't know. I guess the the lesson there is unity. When together, we can do anything(good.) Funny thing is, unity starts with you and your individual choice. The choice to make a different. The choice to work with others and to do it selflesly. Ironically too, your best interest comes only from a focus on other peoples needs; over your own. I guess the question is, do you believe one person can make a difference? What group doesn't include individuals? What part will you play?

Do you believe information freedom is that important? How would lack of information freedom, really be? Do you think most people will not react until it's all gone? Do you think it will be too late?

Why does it matter?

Neobuntu
August 20th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Do you believe the average person or most people, will not give open software a fair try?

Do you think making the effort and risk near zero, will make a difference?

rzrgenesys187
August 20th, 2008, 08:21 AM
One thing that he mentions is the licensing fees going to zero with the use of open source software. Imagine if that money was instead used as donations to the open source products used by the school, I would like to see the speed that the projects would innovate with the large amount of money this would afford.

Neobuntu
August 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Yes, that's is a good point. Not that we fight for the money. Schools would not have to support open software at all. Yet, Helping good causes is what many people say they believe. I guess the point is, it's not FORCED! That's the point. Nor will open software fail due to lack of funds. Conversely Microsoft will(is; with software).

Heck, if "schools" gave just (an OPTIONAL) 10% of the saved Microsoft license fee's alone to support open software (like PROMOTION) then that would be a win win; for everyone.

bryncoles
August 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
schools with computing courses could do better than give money to open source projects - they could give/refine code...

*edit*

or code AND some money... wouldnt that be something?

Lostincyberspace
August 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Yes, that's is a good point. Not that we fight for the money. Schools would not have to support open software at all. Yet, Helping good causes is what many people say they believe. I guess the point is, it's not FORCED! That's the point. Nor will open software fail due to lack of funds. Conversely Microsoft will(is; with software).

Heck, if "schools" gave just (an OPTIONAL) 10% of the saved Microsoft license fee's alone to support open software (like PROMOTION) then that would be a win win; for everyone.
It would not be a win win situation for every one Microsoft would be in a win(dows) lose situation.