PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I post to older threads which haven't been solved?

yojimba
August 17th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Hi -

Curious as to why I can't post on some threads which have still not be marked as "solved".

I'm finding a number of threads that have been unsloved which address the some of the same unresolved issues I am having . . . however I can't and new posts to the thread (see posting rules) and instead have to start a new one . . .

Can someone explain this? Is there some setting I'm missing?

Thanks.

dje
August 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM
the forum archives are read only, only staff can post in them. post a new thread in an active forum to get your problems solved ;)

dje

yojimba
August 17th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Good enough! Just seems strange from a documentation and search stand-point to need to start a thread from scratch when it seems others are having (had) the same issue(s).

tgyorgyi
August 18th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Less practical, but since this thread has been started: sometimes I find useful solutions that only occur in archived threads, and then it would be so nice to be able to thank the person who posted... granted, some of them might not be registered with Ubuntu Forums anymore, but the ones who are, I find it unfair that I cannot thank them if the thread is archived. Is there any other way than a PM to thank for archived posts?

Oldsoldier2003
August 18th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Moved to FF & H from ABT

Oldsoldier2003
August 18th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Is there any other way than a PM to thank for archived posts?

Sadly, no there isn't.

cyberdork33
August 18th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I find it unfair that I cannot thank them if the thread is archived. Is there any other way than a PM to thank for archived posts?
I think that any thread in the archives is too old to be "thanked" anymore anyway. (The ability to thank posts expires).

Oldsoldier2003
August 18th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I think that any thread in the archives is too old to be "thanked" anymore anyway. (The ability to thank posts expires).

IIRC after 60 days you can no longer thank a post. Why? Thats just the way the plugin is written.

LaRoza
August 18th, 2008, 11:54 AM
IIRC after 60 days you can no longer thank a post. Why? Thats just the way the plugin is written.

And to add, we didn't write it, so don't expect any changes!