This may sound really silly, but which is the proper pronunciation of gnome:
nome or genome?

pparks1
August 17th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I say

guhhhh----nome

celery
August 17th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I believe the accepted pronunciation is "nome" with a silent g.

todak
August 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM
From Wikipedia: GNOME (pronounced /gəˈnoʊm/). That is for the desktop environment. For the little bugger that hides in the garden, it is pronounced 'nome". :)

carlolovearianne
August 18th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I seem to remember watching a Mark Shuttleworth video in YouTube, and he pronounces it as "Jee-nowm".

burbankmarc
August 18th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Think GNU, it's pronounced G'new. in that same vein Gnome is pronounced G'nome.

another one I always wondered is daemon. I say day-mon, but I think it's suppose to be Die-mon.

issueperson
August 18th, 2008, 05:16 AM
From Wikipedia: GNOME (pronounced /gəˈnoʊm/). That is for the desktop environment. For the little bugger that hides in the garden, it is pronounced 'nome". :)

Yeah, the "correct" way is "guh-nome" like "guh-new" for GNU.

But I hear "nome" used more often.

SeanBlader
August 18th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Typically for most *nix names, if you think you're saying it right because you know how stuff is supposed to work in the english language, then you're completely wrong.

Gnu = guhnew, Gnome - guhnome, etc = ettsee, Linux = Leenucks

If you don't speak english or maybe if you're like 4 years old, then you're probably saying stuff correctly. I get corrected and/or derisive looks because I say "et cetera", and "nome".

lisati
August 18th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I believe the accepted pronunciation is "nome" with a silent g.

+1: I always thought it was "nome", as in garden gonme. jee-nome is usually written "genome".

Loaded.len
August 18th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Stick to IRC and Forums and you never have to worry about it... provided you can spell. :)

p_quarles
August 18th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

Guh-nome for the Gnu Network Object Modeling Environment.

Nome for the undersized hominid.

schauerlich
August 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

Guh-nome for the Gnu Network Object Modeling Environment.

Nome for the undersized hominid.

Talking about yourself again there p_quarles?

Giant Speck
August 18th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Weird. I've always pronounced it like gnome (nome).

But then again, I pronounced Qt "que-tee" before I realized it was supposed to pronounced "cute."

p_quarles
August 18th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Talking about yourself again there p_quarles?
Isn't a little past your bedtime? ;)

schauerlich
August 18th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Isn't a little past your bedtime? ;)

My self imposed one. Shows how much self restraint I have.

The forums were calling me...

cpetercarter
August 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM
The hairy foot logo suggests it should be "nome" like the diminutive hominid.

sstusick
August 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I always have and always will pronounce gnome as g-nome and linux as lihnucks.

ubuntu27
August 18th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Weird. I've always pronounced it like gnome (nome).

But then again, I pronounced Qt "que-tee" before I realized it was supposed to pronounced "cute."

What!! This is news to me. Qt is pronounced "Cute" as in "Look! That tiny Bear hugging the cat is so cute!"?

As for Gnome I pronounced it Ga-nom or Guh-nome

EDIT:

RIGHT!! FROM WIKIBOOKS (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/X_Window_Programming/Qt):

It is produced by the Norwegian company Trolltech, formerly Quasar Technologies. Trolltech insiders pronounce Qt as "cute".

Giant Speck
August 18th, 2008, 07:39 AM
What!! This is news to me. Qt is pronounced "Cute" as in "Look! That tiny Bear hugging the cat is so cute!"?

As for Gnome I pronounced it Ga-nom or Guh-nome

Just promise me you won't start a thread entitled "Proper Pronunciation of Qt," okay? :)

ubuntu27
August 18th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Just promise me you won't start a thread entitled "Proper Pronunciation of Qt," okay? :)

Thank for the good idea! I shall start a new thread immediately.

vishzilla
August 18th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I pronounce it Gah-Nohm

red_Marvin
August 18th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I pronounce it as it is spelled, with a hard g.

rune0077
August 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM
See, this is what's illogical about the english language. If you want something to be pronounced nome, one should really just have spelled it like that. Who's great idea was it to put a G in front of it? "Oh yeah, let's put a G there, and then just not pronounce it". Wouldn't it have been easier to just leave it out?

Giant Speck
August 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM
See, this is what's illogical about the english language. If you want something to be pronounced nome, one should really just have spelled it like that. Who's great idea was it to put a G in front of it? "Oh yeah, let's put a G there, and then just not pronounce it". Wouldn't it have been easier to just leave it out?

The digraph "gn" derived from the Latin language, and has since mutated from it's original form to the English language.

In English, the digraph "gn" is simply pronounced as "n," But in French, Italian and Spanish, it is pronounced differently.

In Spanish, particularly, the "gn" digraph is replaced by the letter ņ, as in baņo, or niņo.

Despite the fact that is now pronounced differently in modern English, it has been spelled that way long enough for it to have stuck in English vocabulary.

FuturePilot
August 18th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I always say "nome" with a silent "G"

CJ56
August 18th, 2008, 10:11 AM
One of the best things about the English language is its tendency to provide booby-traps of this sort, so

gnome = g is silent
gnostic = g is silent
agnostic = g is voiced

see also

knight

and

pneumonia

and incidientally, consider identical spellings but variant pronunciations in

though
through
thorough
rough

or the variant spellings but identical pronunciations of

eight
date
bait

or

night
trite
sleight (of hand)

or the non-intutitive pronunciations of

Leicester
Holborn
Leominster

In other words, what we really need is a desktop called 'Knightsbridge' or 'Loughborough'... over to you, developers...

sstusick
August 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM
See, this is what's illogical about the english language. If you want something to be pronounced nome, one should really just have spelled it like that. Who's great idea was it to put a G in front of it? "Oh yeah, let's put a G there, and then just not pronounce it". Wouldn't it have been easier to just leave it out?I agree :lolflag:

NosLycn
July 23rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
Think GNU, it's pronounced G'new. in that same vein Gnome is pronounced G'nome.

another one I always wondered is daemon. I say day-mon, but I think it's suppose to be Die-mon.

GNOME is "guh-nome".
Daemon is "demon".

Tipped OuT
July 23rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
The proper pronunciation is "nome", silent 'G'

swoll1980
July 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
The proper pronunciation is "nome", silent 'G'

When were talking out the guy that sits in your garden then it's correct, but the Gnome project pronounces it Gah-nome which stands for GNU network object modeled environment. The Guh sound in GNU is where it gets it's Guh sound from.

RealG187
September 16th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I believe the accepted pronunciation is "nome" with a silent g.I think that's for the Garden Gnome.

I pronounce it Gee-Nome, I think there is a work Genome that has something to do with DNA or something like that...

Redundant Username
September 16th, 2009, 03:23 AM
I pronounce it as G-nome so I differentiate between garden gnomes and the DE.

Jesus_Valdez
September 16th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I pronounce "nome", but the spanish way: "noo-meh" because sounds funny and never really talk to anyone about software.

Tipped OuT
September 16th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I think that's for the Garden Gnome.

I pronounce it Gee-Nome, I think there is a work Genome that has something to do with DNA or something like that...

The 'G' is silent in English.

Hyporeal
September 16th, 2009, 04:13 AM
When were talking out the guy that sits in your garden then it's correct, but the Gnome project pronounces it Gah-nome which stands for GNU network object modeled environment. The Guh sound in GNU is where it gets it's Guh sound from.

The word "gnu" (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gnu) also has a silent G, so the problem remains. (You can't say that GNU has nothing to do with gnus, since GNU uses a drawing of a gnu as its icon!) So the proper ways to pronounce both GNU and Gnome ought to be with a silent G. Alas, the GNU and Gnome people choose to pronounce their project names unlike their English word equivalents.

wojox
September 16th, 2009, 04:13 AM
It's ɡəˈnoʊm GNU Network Object Model Environment.

Rainstride
September 16th, 2009, 04:16 AM
The 'G' is silent in English.

says you:). I say it ge-nome.

JillSwift
September 16th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I think that, given the GNOME project's idea that users need to be saved from themselves, that "GNOME" is pronounced "Duh".

juancarlospaco
September 16th, 2009, 04:23 AM
g-now-me
the GNU desktop
:)

RealG187
September 16th, 2009, 04:30 AM
The 'G' is silent in English.Are you referring to just Garden Gnomes, the GNU Network Object Model Environment, or the DNA term Genome?

Tipped OuT
September 16th, 2009, 04:30 AM
says you:). I say it ge-nome.

No, says the inventors of English :P. GNOME is an international project so many people have different ways of pronouncing it based on their own language.

Rainstride
September 16th, 2009, 04:50 AM
No, says the inventors of English :P. GNOME is an international project so many people have different ways of pronouncing it based on their own language.

English comes in a lot of different flavours:), depending on what on you pick it might be said different. the guys who make the project pronounce it guh-nome, if i remember right, but that just sounds strange to me. so i say it ge-nome, like the human genome project.

pwnst*r
September 16th, 2009, 04:52 AM
gee nome just sounds best. nome sounds retarded. GUH-nome sounds even more retarded.

Rainstride
September 16th, 2009, 04:54 AM
gee nome just sounds best. Nome sounds retarded. Guh-nome sounds even more retarded.

+1:)

juancarlospaco
September 16th, 2009, 05:01 AM
G isnot me