PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been to an online virtual world?

VitaLiNux
August 17th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I've just read this (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/09/lively-google-googles-ven_n_111609.html) and it made me remember that 3 years ago I susbcribed with one of the most popular virtual worlds out there and it was a wonderful experience! After reading the news at the link
SAN FRANCISCO — In the latest expansion beyond its main mission of organizing the world's information, Internet search leader Google Inc. hopes to orchestrate more fantasizing on the Web. The Mountain View-based company unveiled a free service Tuesday in which three-dimensional software enables people to congregate in electronic rooms and other computer-manufactured versions of real life. The service, called "Lively," represents Google's answer to a 5-year-old site, Second Life, where people deploy animated alter egos known as avatars to navigate through virtual reality.
I thought it'd be wonderful to hang out again in virtual worlds like I used to do:). My subscription in There is still valid, but I don't think they have support for Linux. I'd like to know how many of you have spent some time at virtual worlds. And if you don't, you're missing one of the best online experiences you've ever had!

Edit: Have you ever heard of this Google proyect called "Lively"?

Naiki Muliaina
August 17th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I play secound life. I enjoy making things there. They have a beta linux client, in the last 6 months ive not had one bug/issue/problem to report. May be beta, but its very stable, and you can interact with an already big community.

Second Life website: http://secondlife.com/

Livelys website: http://www.lively.com/html/landing.html

No linux client for lively, so not intrested untill they make one :)

Browser_ice
September 3rd, 2008, 01:20 AM
I have been to about 5-6 virtual worlds.

I am aware of what is going on in Virtual Worlds design and receive day to day news about them.

I am aware of how to create your own SecondLife server so you can create your own world free and connect to it with SecondLife with your friends.

I am aware of a few Virtual Worlds projects at IBM.

I am registered on a dozen of Virtual Worlds sites.

Some statistics say that by the year 2010, 25% of the Earth's population will be frequently using Virtual Worlds.

Alot of companies are investing in Virtual Worlds to create theire own. Why ? Because for the past few years (about 5 years), people are buying more through internet then simply going out to the stores and companies want to take this oportunity.

There is even a company (think its in California, can't remember) that is working on an interface to transform brain waves into commands to move around in a virtual world.

DoktorSeven
September 3rd, 2008, 01:25 AM
I tried Second Life once. It was dull, ugly, full of people who ignored me, and tons of people who wanted me to give them money.

I get enough of that in reality... ;)

jimi_hendrix
September 3rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
Some statistics say that by the year 2010, 25% of the Earth's population will be frequently using Virtual Worlds.

Alot of companies are investing in Virtual Worlds to create their own. Why ? Because for the past few years (about 5 years), people are buying more through internet then simply going out to the stores and companies want to take this oportunity.

ive heard of nike stores in second life that will sell you in game products that you can wear and then buy in real life

Duncan Williams
March 21st, 2011, 02:06 PM
I searched a bit for virtual worlds with ubuntu support.
I like Kaneva which is setup in my windows partition.
I find that when in Kaneva you are to busy to do much else (and it is bandwidth intensive)'
So I just reboot into windows and go into Kaneva.
This is one of the few times that I actually use windows now.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
March 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM
September 2nd, 2008

22 minutes ago

derp

uRock
March 21st, 2011, 03:19 PM
Necromancy = Thread Closed.