PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound in xine player/mediaplayer/kaffeine

vitu
August 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hello, this is my first post.I am a freshy to ubuntu and have no programming experience and need everything explained in the "for dummies" way. I run ubuntu on a IBM T 41/ 512Ram/ 40 GB. I have the xine, the caffeine, and the totem mediaplayer installed. But I can't play DVDs nor Audio CDs on any player. Error mesages: "The audio device is busy, is another application using it","Audio output unavailable, Device busy".
The problems started, when I installed new players and media libraries in order to watch commercial DVD's. I have ubuntu/ edubuntu installed on 28 other laptops, which are going to be sent to a school in Tansania/Africa. As the school is situated in a remote area and has no access to www, I would like to solve the problem at home. To watch (educational) movies or listen to different music styles will open the door to a whole new world for over 1300 schoolkids, who live mostly without electricity and running water. I really appreciate every help. thanks

t0p
August 17th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Have you tried using the players with no other apps open? I have found, since installing hardy, that my media players won't give me sound when my web browser is open. Or, to be precise, when my web browser is open on some sites in particular.

vitu
August 17th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Firefox closed - Laptop offline. Still no sound. Thank you very much for your help