PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] dpkg was interrupted sticky request

dje
August 17th, 2008, 03:53 PM
i have noticed that there are a lot of threads asking for help with the following error:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
perhaps it would be useful to have a sticky in an appropriate place with how to resolve the problem?

dje

LaRoza
August 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM
i have noticed that there are a lot of threads asking for help with the following error:

perhaps it would be useful to have a sticky in an appropriate place with how to resolve the problem?

dje

Well, the error says how to do it. I doubt writing it again will help.

SuperSonic4
August 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Don't you just type
sudo dpkg --configure -a into terminal?

dje
August 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Well, the error says how to do it. I doubt writing it again will help.

Don't you just type
sudo dpkg --configure -a into terminal?

yes it does, but the fact still remains that there are a lot of threads on the topic and it does slightly confuse some new users as it doesn't ask to be run with root privilidges. it was only a suggestion :D

dje

LaRoza
August 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
yes it does, but the fact still remains that there are a lot of threads on the topic and it does slightly confuse some new users as it doesn't ask to be run with root privilidges. it was only a suggestion :D

dje

Those people won't be reading stickies anyway, and it will take less effort to give the instructions manually, rather than either linking to a sticky or telling to look at the sticky (as the sticky could be in another forum, depending on where the question is asked)

overdrank
August 17th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Those people won't be reading stickies anyway, and it will take less effort to give the instructions manually, rather than either linking to a sticky or telling to look at the sticky (as the sticky could be in another forum, depending on where the question is asked)

+1

There is no telling how many times I have copied and pasted that command here in the forums. :)

dje
August 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM

ah yes i didn't think of it like that, fair enough :D

thanks
dje

LaRoza
August 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM
ah yes i didn't think of it like that, fair enough :D

thanks
dje

That is something we all have to remember. The better it is documented, the more people who need to know won't find it.

hyper_ch
August 18th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I stopped giving that command out but asking whether they actually read the error message.