PDA

View Full Version : Why Not To Use Linux

NoVista
August 17th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I had to contact my ISP via landline as I had a billing question.
Somewhere along the way, the conversation turned non-business, and I mentioned that I use Linux.
And the response I immediately got from tech support was:
"I don't know why anyone who doesn't understand Linux would use it."

Well for myself, I go back to about 1970 in puter land, when I had my first programming class in school, learning how to plug and unplug all those cables into the right sockets. So when I heard this tech's statement, all I could think to myself was how 10 to 13 years ago, everyone started using a Windows OS, and heh, hardly no one knew how to use it, and for a lot of people, still holds very true to this day.

This tech person really must really be a computer whiz. After all, he knew everything about a Windows OS before he even used it, lol.

Canis familiaris
August 17th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Wow! Windows is indeed a Godly Operating System! People know everthing about it before even really using it.

Macintosh Sauce
August 17th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I use Ubuntu and I am now trying out the new KDE 4.1 Kubuntu. It's called learning. If you don't know something you seek the answer. Simple.

I use Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard as well. Do I need to learn the underlying UNIX stuff. No.

Achetar
August 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM
*Stares a coming clouds of fire*

"Better take cover"

Daveski
August 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Conversely, anyone who understands Linux would never not use it...

Grez
August 17th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Conversely, anyone who understands Linux would never not use it...

Well, I surely don't understand it, as I only installed it this afternnon. I'm very impressed though and I really want to know more!

the yawner
August 18th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Somewhere along the way, the conversation turned non-business, and I mentioned that I use Linux.

Well for myself, I go back to about 1970 in puter land, when I had my first programming class in school, learning how to plug and unplug all those cables into the right sockets. So when I heard this tech's statement, all I could think to myself was how 10 to 13 years ago, everyone started using a Windows OS, and heh, hardly no one knew how to use it, and for a lot of people, still holds very true to this day.

This tech person really must really be a computer whiz. After all, he knew everything about a Windows OS before he even used it, lol.

Might I ask, how did you react to the statement? The tone of the statement sounded a bit degrading and well, presumptuous.

Spike-X
August 18th, 2008, 10:28 AM
So all those millions of Windows users actually understand how it works, do they?

sstusick
August 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Funny thread

:lolflag:

tarps87
August 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
So all those millions of Windows users actually understand how it works, do they?

I don't know how vista works, they moved every thing. I bet it takes everyone a while to find the save as button on office 07 (It works as a entertaining game)

RedPandaFox
August 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I find it kinda ironic thow, that the IT dude you were talking to said that, concidering Windows users ignorence, is his job security.

He is just obvously so closed minded that he fears what he does not know!

Daveski
August 18th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Well, I surely don't understand it, as I only installed it this afternnon. I'm very impressed though and I really want to know more!

Great, Grez, you have come to the right place. Welcome to Linux.

Grez
August 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Great, Grez, you have come to the right place. Welcome to Linux.

Thanks. I'll be tapping you lot for knowledge I'm sure!

Tristam Green
August 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Great thread, I love it when phone support people shove their foots in their mouths.

Grez - just beware those who might give you malicious information!

I don't understand the entirety of Linux, and I certainly don't understand the absolutes of Windows. Nor do I have to, in order to be able to use either OS.

drubin
August 18th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Some people are just not open to change!!

drubin
August 18th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Great thread, I love it when phone support people shove their foots in their mouths.

You might like this. :) (In a good way though)

I think this guy should have been promoted, not fired. This is a true story from the *** Helpline
Operator: 'Ridge Hall, computer assistance; may I help you?'
Caller: 'Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect.'
Operator: 'What sort of trouble??'
Caller: 'Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away.'
Operator: 'Went away?'
Caller: 'They disappeared.'
Operator: 'Hmm So what does your screen look like now?'
Caller: 'Nothing.'
Operator: 'Nothing??'
Caller: 'It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type.'
Operator: 'Are you still in ***, or did you get out??'
Caller: 'How do I tell?'
Operator: 'Can you see the C: prompt on the screen??'
Caller: 'What's a sea-prompt?'
Operator: 'Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?'
Caller: 'There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type.'
Operator: 'Does your monitor have a power indicator??'
Caller: 'What's a monitor?'
Operator: 'It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on??'
Caller: 'I don't know.'
Operator: 'Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that??'
Caller: 'Yes, I think so.'
Operator: 'Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall.
Caller: 'Yes, it is.'
Operator: 'When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one??'
Caller: 'No.'
Operator: 'Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable.'
Caller: 'Okay, here it is.'
Operator: 'Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer.'
Caller: 'I can't reach.'
Operator: 'Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is??'
Caller: 'No.'
Operator: 'Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over??'
Caller: 'Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle - it's because it's dark.'
Operator: 'Dark??'
Caller: 'Yes - the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window.
' Operator: 'Well, turn on the office light then.'
Caller: 'I can't.'
Operator: 'No? Why not??'
Caller: 'Because there's a power failure.'
Operator: 'A power......... A power failure? Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now.
Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in??'
Caller: 'Well, yes, I keep them in the closet.'
Operator: 'Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from.'
Caller: 'Really? Is it that bad?'
Operator: 'Yes, I'm afraid it is.'
Caller: 'Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them??'
Operator: 'Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer!!!!!'

NoVista
August 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Might I ask, how did you react to the statement? The tone of the statement sounded a bit degrading and well, presumptuous.

After my mind raced very quickly for about 2 seconds thinking of what I wanted to say, I quicly settled myself down and said nothing, as I realized he wasn't worth the time :)

host07
August 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Theres not a lot to say to something like that :) as he seems to know his job:rolleyes: but don't isp tech support read a list to diagnose problems with windows?

aaaantoine
August 18th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Ah, the early days of Personal Computers. These days, just about everyone who uses a computer knows what a monitor is.

The computer user in question apparently came back in time from the present, where he observed as a laptop stayed lit despite a power outage.

Chame_Wizard
August 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
M$ people are ......:lolflag:

tubezninja
August 18th, 2008, 09:45 PM

It could have been worse. The response could have been "oh, we don't support linux." *CLICK!*

Trust me, it's happened many times, even regarding problems that very clearly would have nothing to do with the OS a person is using. For some ISPs, Linux is a convenient scapegoat to provide you no service. It's probably the only remaining reason I still have a Windows box lying around (so if need be I can follow along and give the right responses to their inane support scripts).

drubin
August 18th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Ah, the early days of Personal Computers. These days, just about everyone who uses a computer knows what a monitor is.

The computer user in question apparently came back in time from the present, where he observed as a laptop stayed lit despite a power outage.

Sure it was more a joke then any thing else, either way was supposed to make people laugh not taken seriously.

drubin
August 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM
It could have been worse. The response could have been "oh, we don't support linux." *CLICK!*

.... It's probably the only remaining reason I still have a Windows box lying around (so if need be I can follow along and give the right responses to their inane support scripts).

Good old support scripts that are more useless and annoying then helpful! Personally when I phone a little bit of me dies in side...

sydbat
August 18th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I had to phone for support...for my sister. Couldn't get the new wireless router working, so I called Telus and went through the "Windows list" (yes, she has an XP laptop). During one of the many reboots (about 4), we started talking about other things...turns out the support guy is in the Philippines and uses Ubuntu at home! He told me what his user name is on this forum, but I cannot remember it. Maybe he'll read this and get a chuckle.

Back on topic...What was the topic again??

drubin
August 18th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Back on topic...What was the topic again??
Why Not To Use Linux. I suppose

Sealbhach
August 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM

I think this might have something to do with the elitist attitudes of some Linux users, when people went on forums and were told "RTFM" and got no help at all.

Linux quickly got a fearsome reputation as requiring a PhD to use it.

What goes around comes around.

drubin
August 18th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I think this might have something to do with the elitist attitudes of some Linux users, when people went on forums and were told "RTFM" and got no help at all.

Linux quickly got a fearsome reputation as requiring a PhD to use it.

What goes around comes around..

Main reason I have stuck with ubuntu, the forums/community is great! even for simple questions that most of the linux average users would be able to solve blind folded. Most people are willing to help out and explain things step by step

sstusick
August 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I don't know how vista works, they moved every thing. I bet it takes everyone a while to find the save as button on office 07 (I works as a entertaining game)Isn't that aggravating? That's the Microsoft idea of "new" and "improved."

"Just move things around, it'll seem like we actually made them better."

:lolflag:

thumper13
August 19th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Was it comcast? I lost my job with Comcast because I taught a Linux-user how to set up Thunderbird with his email account. True story. The best part is that THUNDERBIRD IS A PRODUCT WE SUPPORT. Comcast just hates Linux users I guess.

3rdalbum
August 19th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Urban myth, apparantly. The tech support guy wasn't fired, nor did he tell the customer to pack up the machine and "tell them you're too dumb to own a computer". He didn't lose his professionalism at any point.

The myth arises because he related the story on Usenet, and added the comment that "I should've told the guy to take the computer back to where he bought it and have him tell them he was too dumb to own a comuter".

Dale61
August 19th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Trust me, it's happened many times, even regarding problems that very clearly would have nothing to do with the OS a person is using. For some ISPs, Linux is a convenient scapegoat to provide you no service. It's probably the only remaining reason I still have a Windows box lying around (so if need be I can follow along and give the right responses to their inane support scripts).

That has happened to me quite a few times. I'm also hung up on when I mention Firefox and Thunderbird.

I suppose with my Australian ISP call centre moving to India, what more would I expect? They weren't even aware of a recent line upgrade that, in the end, was the cause of the fault I was having.

Left hand, meet right hand!

Spike-X
August 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Good old support scripts that are more useless and annoying then helpful!

Tell me about it. I had an issue with my ISP recently, and even after I told the young lady on the other end that I use a Linux-based system, she persisted in telling me that the problem was with ZoneAlarm.

Spike-X
August 19th, 2008, 10:35 AM
That has happened to me quite a few times. I'm also hung up on when I mention Firefox and Thunderbird.

I suppose with my Australian ISP call centre moving to India, what more would I expect? They weren't even aware of a recent line upgrade that, in the end, was the cause of the fault I was having.

Left hand, meet right hand!
Just out of curiosity, who are you with, Dale?

NoVista
August 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Was it comcast?

No, I am on Suddenlink, who took this area over from Cox Comm a few years ago. I will say the local support here is and has always been excellent, either company. But when Suddenlink took it over, All phone calls go to Texas. You cannot even reach the local office in town by phone anymore.

drubin
August 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Urban myth, apparantly.

Yet again, was supposed to put a smile on peoples faces... That is all.

aaaantoine
August 19th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Sure it was more a joke then any thing else, either way was supposed to make people laugh not taken seriously.

I only gave a serious response because the quote indicated that it was a true story. So, I looked at it from an objective standpoint.

When this happened or was written, MS-DOS was still the dominant operating system. Back before the GUI made the personal computer more accessible, it was still a device of wonder to many. For that reason, I could understand someone not knowing what a monitor was. What's really absurd (and hence the punchline) is the idea that a computer is a magical device that transcends the electrical grid. Granted, if it were a laptop, the computer would still be on, but at the time, laptops were still prohibitively expensive.

That said, it is funny. I just kicked full-throttle into analytical mode and ruined it... :oops:

JawsThemeSwimming428
August 19th, 2008, 05:26 PM
The only reason this happens is because the person on the other end doesn't know what to do. They have probably never encountered Linux and are "frightened" by it.

drubin
August 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
That said, it is funny. I just kicked full-throttle into analytical mode and ruined it... :oops:

If it wasn't you it would have been some one else.

gothika-angel
August 19th, 2008, 07:22 PM
This reminds me of the first time I ever played with a computer. I was about 5, and we were still running MS-DOS. I fried the entire system, somehow. I don't quite remember how. Since then, I've become a computer addict and just switched to a Ubuntu full install a few days ago after running the live cd for about a week. I'm currently trying to convert my roommates to Linx...It's going well actually. They're both running live cd's. One's using Slax, the other Ubuntu.

Achetar
September 9th, 2008, 03:03 AM
[off topic]
The Arch and Gentoo forums have improved significantly recently. Maybe it's because people learned proper forum etique here and moved on to more advanced (and in some cases faster) systems. I mean advanced as in you need to know more to use them, not advanced as in higher tech.
[/off topic]

I am surprised! No peoples flaming the company! I am actually quite pleased that people (or at least some people) are cooling down to the Win/Lin thing. Very nice. Soon we will be able to say that Microsoft users are the most idiotic because of their half-baked (or less) Why Not To Use Linux flames.
This forum is awesome! So are bbs.archlinux.org and forums.gentoo.com (http://forums.gentoo.com).