PDA

View Full Version : the open source ideals

Cap'n Skyler
August 17th, 2008, 06:21 AM
what are you thoughts of drivers being fully open,and closed but with linux support?

i think the open source drivers is a great idea.i also think linux should embrace the non free and linux supported drivers as well. i also think Debian has missed the boat on this,and should work with both --easier.

i do like how Ubuntu deals with the driver issue.

scott

wilbbe01
August 17th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I think if a proprietery driver does what everyone desires it to do then I don't care if I can see the code or not. If there are problems the developers refuse to fix in a timely manner then I guess I do want open source.

Rainstride
August 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM
the best thing is when you have both. makes the company work faster and better.... if there smart. and the community has options.

starcannon
August 17th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I am all for open source drivers from my hardware vendors so long as they do not use that for an excuse not to put commercial support into the drivers.

If I buy a VIA video card or device with VIA onboard graphics, I'm fine if VIA wants to open the source to the driver. I am not fine however with them just throwing the source to the community and saying "you fix it we don't want to". I would rather have a closed source driver that works, like my Nvidia drivers do, than an open source driver thats almost functional, and a complete nightmare to even get to the almost functional stage on a system install.

So, open with full commercial support and development continuing, else closed if its the only way I can get a good working driver. All I really want to do is use my hardware, I don't really care if that means the driver is closed or not.

angryfirelord
August 17th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I think if a proprietery driver does what everyone desires it to do then I don't care if I can see the code or not. If there are problems the developers refuse to fix in a timely manner then I guess I do want open source.
I agree. Nvidia has proprietary drivers, but they are constantly working on improving it and so far, there doesn't seem to be any major problems. They run at least or even exceed their Windows driver counterpart.

ATI is another story... :)