PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation of Fastrack Wavecom Supreme GSM Modem

hmoorjani
August 17th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Dear Ubuntu Pros, I have a Fastrack Wavecom Supreme Modem to which I would like to use Kennal Software to send and receive SMS's through my laptop. Here's the tricky part, the modem originally comes in with a serial port and my laptop is a Hewlette-Packard dv9000 series which doesn't have any serial port and would not be surprise that all serial ports will be obsolete in coming months or a year. I recently bought a serial to USB cable and now i am not able to neither detect nor connect to the modem. Not that it connected before. It has never connected to neither windows vista although it configured itself to COM5 automatically, I manually checked to see if COM1 or COM2 was occupied and it wasn't, hence I changed to COM1 but Vista requires me to install the driver but wavecom doesn't come with any drivers and the only way i can install it is through linux. It's been a very very long time since I worked on linux based and I am completely new to Ubuntu, so I would really really really appreciate if anyone can help me out here, step by step, i mean baby steps by baby steps... please.

Thanks again for your patience. I guess that's what everyone needs when we deal with Linux or Unix based OS.

Sincerely,

MOORJANI

alainbastien
August 26th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Hello,

Try minicom

or cutecom (with GUI)

rgds

alain