PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone :)

Vampyer
August 17th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Hello all,

It's my first time using a Linux based OS and as a result you'll probably see many a "noob" post by me in an attempt to gain some knowledge.

I fancied a change from the standard Windows memory hogging crap to an OS that encourages me to be unique and think instead of just clicking "next"

Anyway, I just thought I would introduce myself :)

Night

jpeddicord
August 17th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Welcome. :)

lisati
August 17th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu.
Feel free to ask questions and toss ideas around - we might not be able to answer every question right away, but there's usually someone round who can offer some thoughts.

pparks1
August 17th, 2008, 02:56 AM
It's great to have you onboard. All of us were noob's at one point. Plus, with Linux things change quite a bit from release to release...so we all still have our noob moments. I've been using it now for about 8 years and it still throws me for a loop from time to time...but I love the challenge and the opportunity to utilize something that can be customized to my liking, free of charge, which is so stable and secure. Good stuff.

kool_kat_os
August 17th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Welcome! (well, even tho i use leopard...but i guess since it has unix...its close enough :-))

Sinkingships7
August 17th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Hello all,

It's my first time using a Linux based OS and as a result you'll probably see many a "noob" post by me in an attempt to gain some knowledge.

I fancied a change from the standard Windows memory hogging crap to an OS that encourages me to be unique and think instead of just clicking "next"

Anyway, I just thought I would introduce myself :)

Night

:o

No way. A newcomer from Windows who actually says "Windows"?!?!

You, my good friend, are quite welcome here. Your room is down the hall to your left. Let me know if you need anything!

kool_kat_os
August 17th, 2008, 03:15 AM

You, my good friend, are quite welcome here. Your room is down the hall to your left. Let me know if you need anything!

he's been with window's for too long...it has rot his brain :-)

Twitch6000
August 17th, 2008, 03:19 AM

Yeah about that,I have been wondering the halls for months...
I ran into the PClinuxOS hall,DSL Hall,and many others just to find my damn room.Now where is it :(?

Anyways welcome and enjoy your stay Vampyer

DougieFresh4U
August 17th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Hello and welcome to the community :)
Yes you will most likely have a lot of questions which have most likely been asked over and over. so my suggestion is that you have a good read through the forum and utilize the search in the forum as you will find answers to most of your questions.
The members here are a great group of individuals and most are more than willing to assist if you can't find your solutions some where in the forum
Good luck and thanks for joining.

Redache
August 17th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Welcome to a world that is built on freedom!.

If you feel overwhelmed at times, don't worry, there's typically an answer on hand for you or someone willing to spend time walking you through it.

Good luck with your first foray into the world of Linux (Hopefully you'll love it so much you'll stay!).:)

Northsider
August 17th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Welcome, hope you enjoy your linux experience.

Your room is down the hall to your left. Let me know if you need anything!
I stopped getting mints on my pillow at night, whats the deal?

Sinkingships7
August 17th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I stopped getting mints on my pillow at night, whats the deal?

We decided that your breath simply smells too good. It becomes a bit difficult to enjoy one's fresh breath if it also happens to be the culprit behind so many burning/watery eyes.

Twitch6000
August 17th, 2008, 05:35 AM
We decided that your breath simply smells too good. It becomes a bit difficult to enjoy one's fresh breath if it also happens to be the culprit behind so many burning/watery eyes.

That still doesn't answer my question as to where the hell my room is LOL.

Sinkingships7
August 17th, 2008, 06:57 AM
That still doesn't answer my question as to where the hell my room is LOL.

I can't help the fact that you keep 'misplacing' your room. This is what, the sixth time? It's getting a bit ridiculous. How does one lose her room?

ryantriplett
August 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Has anyone else noticed the sudden jump in the amount of newcomers to *nix or is it just me? I just seems like I've seen more "I'm new to Linux/Ubuntu" posts lately. This is a very good thing! :)

at2smithjason
August 17th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux. Like your self I changed over from Windows (yes I still still call it Windows) and was fed up with the slow process of vista, and the large updates. I jave been using Ubuntu for a couple of weeks now and I have totally moved over. I am glad that I finally did.

NoVista
August 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM
And a big hello right back at you.

Welcome to Linux my friend, you will not be disappointed :)

Daveski
August 17th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Has anyone else noticed the sudden jump in the amount of newcomers to *nix or is it just me? I just seems like I've seen more "I'm new to Linux/Ubuntu" posts lately. This is a very good thing! :)

The consistent rise in quality of the main distros (such as our beloved Ubuntu) mixed with the strikingly underwhelming Vista is definitely attracting more Linux noobs.

Seeing as long-time Windows users are being forced into using the new versions of Windows and Office apps, their current skills are becoming redundant. If you are going to have to learn a new OS or interface, why not try the alternatives?

Anyway, Vampyer, how are you getting on with Ubuntu?