PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] No "instal widget" option in Plasma widget manager

zachthejones
August 17th, 2008, 02:12 AM
when I right-click on the desktop and click on "Add widgets" get the little screen which manages your widgets (lets you add and remove them). BUT I don't have an "install widget" button, which I only recently learned I should have.

Any Idea what I should do/install to get this?

Note: I started with a clean Ubuntu Gutsy install, then installed kubunt-desktop, and finally installed kde4-core from this repo:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu hardy main

txcrackers
August 17th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Check and make sure you have all of the "plasma"-related modules installed - and that they're version 4.1. If you have the old 4.0 versions installed, remove them.

zachthejones
August 17th, 2008, 04:03 PM
okay, quick question along that line...will I need to have KDE 4.1, or is 4.0 okay? I installed 4.0, but it never automatically upgraded to 4.1, so I'm assuming that's something I have to do manually.

txcrackers
August 17th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Correct - you will need 4.1, and yes you will need to probably handle it manually. Some of the packages were renamed, thereby "breaking" the update path. The basic rule of thumb is if there's a package with version 3.8x, 3.9x, or 4.0, delete it or update to version 4.1

zachthejones
August 19th, 2008, 01:07 AM
thanks! I actually found the problem in my repo - I had the address wrong and therefore the updates never came through. I got that fixed and think I've gotten everything ironed out. I now have access to the "install widgets" button and am definitely liking 4.1 a lot more than 4.0.

Thanks!