PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Problem

pdadad
August 16th, 2008, 11:51 PM
My desktop no longer allows right clicks and the icons are no longer visible. I've tried reseting the desktop in gconf-editor to show the desktop but this had no effect - changed the settings and rebooted each time. The only other issues I could find were a usb connected drive, turned it off, and a message about Opera, stopped it from starting on boot.

I have 2 panels and they work as they are supposed to. Compiz is running and everything with it seems to be working fine. I tried turning off compiz and rebooting, it made no difference.

I set up another user to see if the desktop was active. It was.

I've been running Ubuntu since v7.04 but I feel like a total noob when I run across this kind of issue. If anyone can point me in a productive direction I would very much appreciate it.

mr.moch
August 17th, 2008, 01:21 AM
OK. Try a couple of things:

1. If you have a login screen, check the session type. You should be under "GNOME", "X Window Client". Pick one of the two.

2. If they're doing a file scan, skip it and see what happens. Not sure how to turn it off.

3. Try turning off desktop effects if on.

pdadad
August 18th, 2008, 03:20 AM
mr. moch - Thank you for your assistance. I rebooted and could not find a reference to "GNOME" or "X Window Client" on the login options. The scan did not occur but it's easy enough to cancel if it would have. I had already tried to turn off the compiz desktop effects. Well long story short. My desktop came back and I don't know why. I changed no settings after reading your post. Must have been the result of your good will. :-)

swisscow
August 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Mine has also done this as well, seemingly at random.

so you are not alone.............

pdadad
August 18th, 2008, 11:19 AM
swisscow - Did you try going to the gconf-editor to show the desktop?

swisscow
August 18th, 2008, 12:53 PM
swisscow - Did you try going to the gconf-editor to show the desktop?

If you mean show trash, home folder etc then yes, I like to see them. When it happens it's like the icons and right click menu are invisible. A reboot usually seems to fix it. Hasn't happened recently come to think of it.

pdadad
August 19th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Yes, that is exactly what I experienced. It's like the icons and right click menu are invisible.

I would have liked to figure out what caused it but it was just such a productivity killer having it fixed is a big relief.