PDA

View Full Version : Installing Linux on the Xbox 1 looks hard e_e

Lord Xeb
August 16th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Has anyone done it before using the software method. that seems to be the easiest. If so, give me so pointers. Also, I WISH IT HAD MORE RAM!

nick09
August 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM
That is expected for a Xbox its only a gaming console plus Xbox does not allow you to install a OS anyways. The PS3 does let you install one though because its meant to be a computer entertainment system and the feature is all the way back to version 1 of the firmware.

Its not worth it anyways because the systems do not allow you to use whole ram where the PS3 only gives you 192MB out of 256MB because the rest is for the system's original OS and video games.

Canis familiaris
August 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
The Hard Work isn't really worth it.
And unless I'm much mistaken it will void your warranty as well.
So Just play games and be happy. :)

NovaAesa
August 16th, 2008, 10:57 PM
It might be a bit hard to find an Xbox that still has warranty seeing that they were discontinued in 2006. There should be plenty of guides on the net though, if you look hard enough.

gn2
August 17th, 2008, 12:02 AM
If you're looking for something to do with an X-Box, you could perhaps try X-Box Media Centre: http://xbmc.org/home/

Dremora
August 17th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Has anyone done it before using the software method. that seems to be the easiest. If so, give me so pointers. Also, I WISH IT HAD MORE RAM!

You can add another 64 MB of RAM.

Hardware method is the best, the software method results in a slow system.

I put in a 200 gig hard disk too.

at2smithjason
August 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
You can add another 64 MB of RAM.

Hardware method is the best, the software method results in a slow system.

I put in a 200 gig hard disk too.

I agree, also the only way to fix a softmod if it beaks is to hardmod it. So its a smart idea to do the hardmod anyway. I am looking for a good chip to buy. If anyone has a chip that they are using, or know someone that does, please send me a pm and let me know what brand they/you have.

machoo02
August 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Has anyone done it before using the software method. that seems to be the easiest. If so, give me so pointers. Also, I WISH IT HAD MORE RAM!I've done the software method...it's fairly easy. Just follow one of the many guides available.

Dremora
August 17th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Software mods = Easier, but not very good results.

Hardware mods = Better results, but I hope you're good with a soldering gun.

Tell you the truth, it's been so long since I modded my XBOX, I don't even know what I did anymore, I remember I cussed a lot and followed a diagram and some step by step instructions :lolflag:

You basically will want to solder in the new 64 meg RAM chip, it also needs a very specific type which I don't remember, 128 megs ain't a lot, but 64 megs is almost unbearable.

And then you will need a replacement BIOS.

RedPandaFox
August 18th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Software mods = Easier, but not very good results.

Hardware mods = Better results, but I hope you're good with a soldering gun.

Tell you the truth, it's been so long since I modded my XBOX, I don't even know what I did anymore, I remember I cussed a lot and followed a diagram and some step by step instructions :lolflag:

You basically will want to solder in the new 64 meg RAM chip, it also needs a very specific type which I don't remember, 128 megs ain't a lot, but 64 megs is almost unbearable.

And then you will need a replacement BIOS.

I soft-modded my xbox, it is great, does everything I need it to, althow I need to put in a bigger HDD. Im to lazy to put in the new HDD so Im living fine with the game disks and emulators.