PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing unwanted updates from Update Manager

jse
August 16th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I started using Ubuntu 8.04 on a new laptop two weeks ago(newbie). Update Manager tells me I have 960 updates available. It seems that about 800 of them are language packages that I will never need. Can I remove them from the list? The typical solution seems to be to "lock" the package but I don't want to exclude all updates, just the unwanted ones. I can't imagine repeatedly scrolling through this long list to look for updates I really want.

Thanks for any advice.

kellemes
August 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I started using Ubuntu 8.04 on a new laptop two weeks ago(newbie). Update Manager tells me I have 960 updates available. It seems that about 800 of them are language packages that I will never need. Can I remove them from the list? The typical solution seems to be to "lock" the package but I don't want to exclude all updates, just the unwanted ones. I can't imagine repeatedly scrolling through this long list to look for updates I really want.

Thanks for any advice.

Simply remove the packages you feel you don't need.
Just watch the messages telling you about depending packages being removed, some packages may be needed by the system to function.

You can use synaptic to get a more detailed list of packages.