PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I install one on computer, then move the hard drive to another?

tmcarson1
August 16th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Was curious if I could install Ubuntu on one computer, then pull the hard drive out and put it into another computer to use it?

Reason is the other computer doesn't have a CD player or a floppy drive.

So just curious if anyone has tried this method, and if linux does work or if it requires a lot of tinkering to get it running since it was installed one on machine and actually booting and running on another.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Vivaldi Gloria
August 16th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Was curious if I could install Ubuntu on one computer, then pull the hard drive out and put it into another computer to use it?

Reason is the other computer doesn't have a CD player or a floppy drive.

So just curious if anyone has tried this method, and if linux does work or if it requires a lot of tinkering to get it running since it was installed one on machine and actually booting and running on another.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

If the other computer supports ubuntu then it'll just work.

mikjp
August 17th, 2008, 06:55 AM
If your computer can boot from net, you could use that for installing Ubuntu. No need to move the hard drive around.

mikko

tmcarson1
September 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Just thought I would give an update here.

I installed ubuntu on one machine, and then moved the drive over to the other computer and it seems to be working just fine.

The only thing I had to do was go in and change a sound device to get the sound to play, other than that all is working well.

Thanks for the help.

Vivaldi Gloria
September 4th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Just thought I would give an update here.

I installed ubuntu on one machine, and then moved the drive over to the other computer and it seems to be working just fine.

The only thing I had to do was go in and change a sound device to get the sound to play, other than that all is working well.

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome mate. Good to hear.