PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] KDE 4.1 slower than Gnome with compiz fusion, is that because of the nvidia bug?

Starlight
August 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hi! I've noticed that my KDE 4.1 is much slower than Gnome even with compiz fusion and most effects enabled. For example, minimizing and maximizing windows isn't smooth, even though it's perfect in Gnome. I've tried running glxgears in both KDE and Gnome, and it was significantly faster in Gnome (more than 2700 fps, while it was only around 2100 in KDE) Another thing is that while playing games on PCSX they work perfectly in Gnome, but in KDE they often slow down so that it's like playing in slow motion. I have GeForce 8400 and I'm curious... is that all because of the nVidia bug described here: http://techbase.kde.org/User:Lemma/KDE4-NVIDIA ? Or is there some other problem, which can be fixed? :)

wrix
March 19th, 2010, 12:54 PM
This because KDE is basically slower than GNOME. I am a new user, but I have tried them both. I have looked many places in the net, but all of them says that GNOME is faster.

javyn999
March 19th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Even though I'm a new Linux user (about 1 year), I don't understand how KDE can be the most popular desktop environment for Linux. I tried it, and it was like going back to Windows all over again, a real mess.

That being said, KDE does have some pretty great apps though, like K3b...but still, better to just install the dependencies and run it in Gnome IMO.

3Miro
March 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM
OK this is how things work under KDE:

KDE 4.0 was an alpha version (barely working)
KDE 4.1 was a beta version (usable, but very buggy)
KDE 4.2 was the first stable version
KDE 4.3 is what people should be using right now (until KDE 4.4)

You should be running at least 4.2. One version of Gnome is not vastly different from the previous, but those initial versions of KDE are very different.

KDE 4.3 with Kwin effects is faster than Gnome with Compiz. (if you want speed with little effects, go for xfce, it beats both KDE and Compiz). Overall, KDE is more customizable, has an overall better collection of native apps and has features that Gnome currently lacks.

That said, Kubuntu currently sux. Ubuntu in general is a Gnome-centric distro and when you try to combine all the Gnome apps with KDE you get all kinds of strange problems. To better appreciate KDE, you should try Sabayon or Mandriva or Mepis. The Kubuntu team promises to fix all the issues for 10.04 and I sure hope they do.

javyn999
March 19th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Interesting 3Miro. I have only tried KDE with Ubuntu and Slackware..didn't like it at all, but I have to hand it to them, their apps are great.

3Miro
March 19th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Interesting 3Miro. I have only tried KDE with Ubuntu and Slackware..didn't like it at all, but I have to hand it to them, their apps are great.

Slackware doesn't seem to be aimed towards any particular DE (I actually am not really sure, since I have never used it). Kubuntu is the black sheep of the KDE family (again, hopefully this will change for 10.04).

Sabayon is Gentoo based, entirely user-made (no corp), and workd very well. The only disadvantages it has is that put next to Ubuntu it has less software available and since it is Gentoo based it assumes that you have at least a basic understanding of the system (but it is not nearly as bad as Gentoo itself).

Mandriva is RedHat based, aimed at KDE and historically it was one of the easiest to use. They have been trying to get it massively on the desktops for some time. However, Mandriva is commercial and the simple free version only comes for i586.

Mepis is Debian based and the latest version is still in beta. The previous one was probably the best KDE 3 distro, so they have a good KDE record. However, this is their first attempt at KDE 4.

irrdev
March 19th, 2010, 11:32 PM
openSUSE is the fairest distro to evaluate KDE; openSUSE is overall slightly slower than Ubuntu (even with Gnome) but Novell has done a stupendous job at integrating all of their custom applications into KDE, including YaST which, quite frankly, is the best graphical administration tool available for Linux. That said, I am still anticipating that KDE 4.5 will be the first true release to have absolutely no regressions to KDE 3.5 and be virtually bug free. The KDE roadmap has not been easy, but nor am I greatly anticipating an easy transition for Gnome as we look forward to Gnome 3.0

javyn999
March 20th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Same, irrdev. Even though I'm a relative newb, I'm still considering lxde for the future.