PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Anything out there as good as utorrent ?

Dreamerman
August 16th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Hi. I have been using utorrent under XP & very happy with it. It has functions very important to me especially download scheduling as I use it during off peak hours. Is there any torrent client in the repo which is as good as utorrent with scheduling capabilities ?

Thanks

Superevil
August 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I'm partial to Deluge. It's a minimal torrent client plus it has plugins to give it more functionality.

TenPlus1
August 16th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I second that, Deluge rocks...

kidux
August 16th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I third Deluge. Very powerful in a streamlined package. Transmission isn't bad either if you're looking for something quick, down and dirty, but Deluge is my preferred torrent client, and it has a scheduler via a plugin.

Mongo5000
August 16th, 2008, 07:15 PM
i'll fourth for Deluge. It just works and thats that.

krsmit0
August 17th, 2008, 12:44 AM
i didn't like deluge, i never could get it to show up as connection on my trackers.

switched to ktorrent and everything worked fine. althought running kde apps in gnome is probably not the ideal situation.

moycano
August 18th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Ey, I see this deluge and remember utorrent = zero learning curve, awesome!

sstusick
August 18th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Transmission, the default torrent client in Hardy works great for me. Ktorrent was probably the best torrent client I've ever used, though.

Redmumba
August 19th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Aye, I will... fifth... Deluge? Very lightweight, very straight forward, and doesn't get bogged down when there are lots of torrents (At school, I have a desktop that is basically a dedicated torrent box... hehe).

As a side note, I could never get Transmission to operate very well... even with correct port forwarding, it seemed to struggle to top dial up speeds.

Toupee
August 19th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Deluge is good, the interface is very very similar to uTorrent. But I do have kind of a soft spot for Transmission lately.

Dreamerman
August 19th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Deluge is good, the interface is very very similar to uTorrent. But I do have kind of a soft spot for Transmission lately.

Yeah but very important for me is to be able to schedule downloads during off peak. Don't think transmission supports that.

Cheers

krsmit0
August 19th, 2008, 05:21 AM
i think ktorrent has a plugin for that.

MrMarc
August 19th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I will add a vote for Ktorrent even running it on Gnome, it's interface is near identical to Utorrent and works pretty much the same too.

It's as close to Utorrent you're gonna get on Linux... unless Utorrent works on WINE heh. :)

cb951303
August 19th, 2008, 10:59 AM
deluge is as close as you get to utorrent on linux
however I prefer transmission

qetuR
August 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah, it maybe does, but! What if many of the big torrents sites have such big restrictions on which client to be allowed, once example is Bitmetv that doesn't allow Deluge. And if you are on 64bit, the only way for you to download from there is to do it through the terminal, and I don't want to use the terminal.

krsmit0
August 19th, 2008, 03:46 PM
utorrent works well in wine.

gb5757870
August 25th, 2008, 09:41 AM
utorrent works well in wine.

I'm impressed you got utorrent working under wine! It installed fine and loads fine too but when I run it, it first asks if it is to be the main torrent client and then freezes the whole system. grrr

merlyn
August 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM
If it's not too late I'll throw my vote Deluge's way.

Cheers.

gb5757870
September 1st, 2008, 08:05 AM
Have since had a look at Deluge and very impressed.

kaivalagi
September 1st, 2008, 08:33 AM
I first tried Deluge, great, then onto Transmission, good, used rtorrent with a web frontend, okay but troublesome now and again, and then came back to Deluge.

Deluge gets me the best download speeds for some reason, but I run clutch (transmission via the web) too in case I want to kick off a download from work.

Dreamerman
September 2nd, 2008, 02:28 AM
Yeah, been using deluge for some weeks & confirmed all good.