PDA

View Full Version : Funnest programming language?

jimi_hendrix
August 16th, 2008, 01:37 PM
What is your favorite/funnest language to use...this is not your best language or your most efficient just the one you like the most

i picked the languages ive heard the most around here

please tell why you picked your choice

LaRoza
August 16th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Not sure what "funnest" means, but I take it to mean a language that is fun to use, if not practicle.

Brain****. Nothing beats it.

jimi_hendrix
August 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM
lol well i typed in funnest and it didnt spell check it wrong so...

sofasurfa
August 16th, 2008, 02:23 PM
C++ definitely. It's the only one that's just the right shade of green.

LaRoza
August 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM

C++ "fun"?!

Masochists are a strange bunch...

ghostdog74
August 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
C++ "fun"?!

It will be fun to different people with different intellect. And i think i know where this useless poll is leading to.

LaRoza
August 16th, 2008, 02:47 PM
It will be fun to different people with different intellect. And i think i know where this useless poll is leading to.

Well, I voted for Brain****, so I guess I have different views on what "fun" is :-)

I am not sure what the poll (and thread) is about myself.

ghostdog74
August 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Well, I voted for Brain****, so I guess I have different views on what "fun" is :-)

I am not sure what the poll (and thread) is about myself.

That's why i said, it a useless poll, set up only to invite flames. I am tempted to calling the OP a troll, but i am scared of infractions. :)

LaRoza
August 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I am tempted to calling the OP a troll, but i am scared of infractions. :)

Well, no one got an infraction (except for a few rare occasions of abuse) for sending a report of a troll.

I don't think the OP is a troll, just not familiar with the ways things happen on the internet with regards to this.

NovaAesa
August 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I really do have to agree with LaRoza on this one (well, almost). All the languages on there are very 'normal' kind of languages. They are straight forward - not really unfun, but not fun either. Give me an esoteric language anyday if you are looking for fun. Of course, I have found Befunge to be more fun than brain****. Btw, brain**** isn't mean to be capitalised. :P

billstei
August 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Ruby.

LaRoza
August 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I really do have to agree with LaRoza on this one (well, almost). All the languages on there are very 'normal' kind of languages. They are straight forward - not really unfun, but not fun either. Give me an esoteric language anyday if you are looking for fun. Of course, I have found Befunge to be more fun than brain****. Btw, brain**** isn't mean to be capitalised. :P

"mean" is meant to be spelled with a 't' ;)

NovaAesa
August 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
"mean" is meant to be spelled with a 't' ;)

Haha you got me ::lolflag:

btw, here's one of my latest Befunge programmes, see if you can work out what it does:

25v v p 05 +1g 05 <
v0< >: 50 g%|
>p>&>:50g`|@,,"!p"<
@ , "p" <

Canis familiaris
August 16th, 2008, 03:01 PM
That's why i said, it a useless poll, set up only to invite flames. I am tempted to calling the OP a troll
Exactly the reason I do not start so many threads I thought I wanted to post.

LaRoza
August 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
btw, here's one of my latest Befunge programmes, see if you can work out what it does:

25v v p 05 +1g 05 <
@ , "p" <

That is Perl isn't it?

I like brain**** for its small size and extreme simplicity.

Canis familiaris
August 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM

+1 for that
Though the reason for this is that C++ is the only programming language I know.

ghostdog74
August 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I don't think the OP is a troll, just not familiar with the ways things happen on the internet with regards to this.
i think OP knows, since this forum is famous for useless language wars ever so often.

NovaAesa
August 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM
That is Perl isn't it?
Nope, definitely Befunge. It inputs a number from the user and then calculates if it is a prime number or not. It outputs a "p" if it is prime, and a "!p" if it's not prime. I had a ridiculous amount of fun writing it, and even more fun making my computer science and software engineering friends work out what it did.

Jessehk
August 16th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Either Ruby or (Common) Lisp.

Kadrus
August 16th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Either Ruby or (Common) Lisp.
I thought you were more into Ocaml ;)

ibuclaw
August 16th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Cobol is fun to play about with.

I sometimes admire the elegance of it's curses based functions...

TenPlus1
August 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I loved programming in AMOS for my Amiga, and it wasn't just for games as I managed to write a full gui system and other utilities... SLDBASIC is supposidly a similar language for linux...

y-lee
August 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Reverse Polish LISP or RPL the programming language used by the HP 48 and Hp 49 calculators is a most enjoyable language for me. I love its list processing abilities :)

Reiger
August 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Fun with a programming language for me means to be able to spit out elegant code. Solve a fairly complex problem with elegance: few lines of code, simple code, and portable code. It's the beauty of "I've managed it", that's when programming makes for a lot of fun.

That isn't bound to any specific language for me. Voted Other.

WW
August 16th, 2008, 04:34 PM
whitespace is usually good for a few laughs. Here's my version of "99 bottles" written in whitespace. The spaces, tabs and newlines have been translated to -, t and n, respectively.

99bottles.ws (translate back to spaces, tabs and newlines to try it)

---tt---ttnn---tn-n-tn-t---t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--ttntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt--tt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-t---ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-tttntn-----tt----tntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----t-tt--ntn-----t-----ntn---n-tn-t---t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--ttntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt--tt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----t-ttt-ntn-----t-t-ntn-----t-t-t--ntn-----tt----tntn-----tt-t-ttntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt--t--ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-tttntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt----tntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----tt--t--ntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt----ntn-----tt----tntn-----ttt--ttntn-----ttt--ttntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-t--tntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt----tntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-t-tntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----tt--t--ntn-----t-tt--ntn-----t-----ntn-----tnt--t-n-tn-t---t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--ttntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt--tt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-t---ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-tttntn-----tt----tntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----t-ttt-ntn-----t-t-ntn-----t-t-ntn---n----tnt--tnt--t-nn-n-tnn---t-n---tt---tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt--tt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-t---ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-tttntn-----tt----tntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----t-tt--ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt--tt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----t-ttt-ntn-----t-t-ntn-----t-t-t--ntn-----tt----tntn-----tt-t-ttntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt--t--ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-tttntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt----tntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----tt--t--ntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt----ntn-----tt----tntn-----ttt--ttntn-----ttt--ttntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-t--tntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt----tntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-t-tntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----tt--t--ntn-----t-tt--ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-tt-tntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--ttntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt--tt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-t---ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-tttntn-----tt----tntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----t-ttt-ntn-----t-t-ntn-----t-t-ntn-----t--ttt-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-tt-tntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--ttntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt--tt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-t---ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-tttntn-----tt----tntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----t-tt--ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-tt-tntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--ttntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt--tt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----t-ttt-ntn-----t-t-ntn-----t---tttntn-----tt-ttttntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-t---ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt--ttntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt----tntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----tt--t--ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----ttt-t-tntn-----tttt--tntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt--ttntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt-tt-tntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-tt-tntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-tt--ntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt--tntn-----ttt--tntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--ttntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt--tt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt---t-ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----tt--t-tntn-----ttt--t-ntn-----t-----ntn-----tt-ttttntn-----tt-ttt-ntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-t--ntn-----tt-t---ntn-----tt--t-tntn-----t-----ntn-----ttt-tttntn-----tt----tntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----tt-tt--ntn-----t-ttt-ntn-----t-t-ntn--nnn

It works with whitespace 0.2:

$ ./whitespace.pl 99bottles.ws
99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer.
Take one down and pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall.

98 bottles of beer on the wall, 98 bottles of beer.
Take one down and pass it around, 97 bottles of beer on the wall.

97 bottles of beer on the wall, 97 bottles of beer.
Take one down and pass it around, 96 bottles of beer on the wall.

<...snip...>

3 bottles of beer on the wall, 3 bottles of beer.
Take one down and pass it around, 2 bottles of beer on the wall.

2 bottles of beer on the wall, 2 bottles of beer.
Take one down and pass it around, 1 bottles of beer on the wall.

1 bottle of beer on the wall, 1 bottle of beer.
Take one down and pass it around, no more bottles of beer on the wall.

No more bottles of beer on the wall, no more bottles of beer.
Go to the store and buy some more, 99 bottles of beer on the wall.
$

stevescripts
August 16th, 2008, 04:40 PM
The programming language that you *like* the most, is not necessarily the language
that you find the most *fun* ...

Steve
(no vote in this one)

Vishal Agarwal
August 16th, 2008, 04:52 PM
PHP

Easy and simple.:)

I like brain**** for its small size and extreme simplicity.

LaRoza, Can u write a small code for Brain**** language. How does this Code Looks like ?

:confused:

CptPicard
August 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Strangely worded. The funniest language is either LOLCODE or INTERCAL.

The favourite is Lisp, in its various incarnations. I don't really favour any particular version, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. There should be some kind of überlisp that takes the best of all worlds.

But of course one is not allowed to say this -- after all, all personal exprience is pointless. C dominates because you can write any other language in it!!1

LaRoza
August 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM
LaRoza, Can u write a small code for Brain**** language. How does this Code Looks like ?

"Hello world":

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.

It is simpler than it looks, just that its simplicity can make it complicated.

See my wiki to learn more.

LaRoza
August 16th, 2008, 05:11 PM
There should be some kind of überlisp that takes the best of all worlds.

There is. I already told the forum about it. It is BorgLisp, which is used for my programming.

But of course one is not allowed to say this -- after all, all personal exprience is pointless. C dominates because you can write any other language in it!!1
You can write any language in Assembly as well. Or in B.

elithrar
August 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Python, though I really do like Ruby as well. It's a fun language to use because of how "beautiful" the syntax is, even if it has a few Perl-isms about it. With "everything as an object" there's a fair bit of magic, but that's part of the fun ; )

pmasiar
August 16th, 2008, 06:00 PM
25v v p 05 +1g 05 <
@ , "p" <

That is Perl isn't it?

That was good one :-)

Of course it is not Perl. That was the joke.

Funniest part is that some people were event tempted to believe you - it says something about Perl's fame to be 'executable line noise'.

It could be Perl it it had more $ % and @ sigils :-)

NovaAesa
August 16th, 2008, 06:06 PM
MDR, I fail at recognising jokes at times...

I am now eyeing off the Perl: Core Language book that's collecting dust on my book shelf. I got it off my uncle about 6 months ago, and haven't really touched it yet. Maybe one of these days when I'm bored and have no assignments...

You can write any language in Assembly as well. Or in B.
You can write any language in any other Turing-complete language for that matter :P

CptPicard
August 16th, 2008, 06:19 PM
You can write any language in any other Turing-complete language for that matter :P

Tell that to the C-fundamentalists... sometimes they behave in this issue as if mentioning this made their pointers shorter or something ;)

LaRoza
August 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Tell that to the C-fundamentalists... sometimes they behave in this issue as if mentioning this made their pointers shorter or something ;)

The Bond node is going to come up again...

CptPicard
August 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM
The Bond node is going to come up again...

Yeah, I suppose it could be taken as natural proof of the magical properties of a pointer put to work by a talented user.

pmasiar
August 16th, 2008, 06:37 PM
All the languages on there are very 'normal' kind of languages. They are straight forward

Yup, OP should read up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esoteric_languages to get idea what 'fun language' migh mean for some serious geeks :-)

Fun with a programming language for me means to be able to spit out elegant code. Solve a fairly complex problem with elegance: few lines of code, simple code, and portable code.

I quite agree (while ignoring simple fact that those 3 requirements contradict each other :-) ).

Let's ignore esoteric languages and look at languages which were used for real programming even if marginal languages.

First 'fun language' was APL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_%28programming_language%29) - in mid 60ties. You can spend afternoon trying to understand single-line program (which worked, but how?) 70ties till mid 80ties was 'Golden age' of languages, with plenty of interesting languages, like Prolog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolog) and Forth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_(programming_language)). But then unwashed masses with ZX Spectrum and later PC came, who considered QBASIC 'programming language', then AOL members found about usenet and diluted discussion there, then internet.... Influx of new people with unsophisticated tastes overwhelmed 'old school' and resulted in death of 'fun languages'. Exhibit 1: someone considers C++ a 'fun language'! I rest my case :-)

All is not lost, we are recovering: scala (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scala_(programming_language)), D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_programming) and Factor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factor_(programming_language)) are new languages which show promise. But for a whole generation, fun in programming was lost, sadly...

Of course I did not mentioned Lisp - it is too useful and mainstream to be considered 'fringe and fun' language. Lisp made $50M for Paul Graham, certainly can be considered mainstream :-)

slavik
August 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Not sure what "funnest" means, but I take it to mean a language that is fun to use, if not practicle.

Brain****. Nothing beats it.
whitespace > brain**** :)

LaRoza
August 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
whitespace > brain**** :)

Whitespace is hard to read, almost as bad as Perl.

pmasiar
August 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM

Some of the comments made me laugh - poll is worthless, but discussion is **very** entertaining!

'C fundamentalist' is another excellent term we shall see more often.

WW
August 16th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I know the feeling. :)

By the way, you can have fun with two languages at once: the following is both a C program and a whitespace program:

hwx.c

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
printf("Hello, world!\n");

return 0;
}

E.g.:

$ gcc -Wall hwx.c -o hwx
$ ./hwx
Hello, world!
$ ./whitespace.pl hwx.c
Hola, mundo!
$

EDIT: I'm not sure you'll be able to access all the trailing whitespace characters in the code listed above. Here is the same C/whitespace program, with spaces, tabs and newlines translated to _, T and N, respectively:

hwx.c.tr

#include_<stdio.h>__T__T___NTNint_main()____TT_TTTTN{TN____printf("Hello,_world!\n");TT_TT__NTN____return_0;TT____TN}TN_____T_TT__NTN _____T_____NTN_____TT_TT_TNTN_____TTT_T_TNTN_____T T_TTT_NTN_____TT__T__NTN_____TT_TTTTNTN_____T____T NTN_____T_T_NTN__NNN

NovaAesa
August 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Wow, that's like... crazy clever.

CptPicard
August 16th, 2008, 07:50 PM
'C fundamentalist' is another excellent term we shall see more often.

[-X All the infractions etc should have taught you by now that you are not allowed to add new, semantically richer concepts to language unless they have gone through the Language Police vetting process to make sure you can't make a more concise, persuasive argument using those new words.

Incidentally, I believe this is also applies to formal languages, and therefore, HLL constructs are meaningless.

jinksys
August 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Ahem.

.section .data
truth:
.asciz "Assembly programmers need love too!\n"
.section .text
.globl main
main:

pushl $truth
call printf
addl $4, %esp
pushl $0
call exit

nvteighen
August 16th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Why have fun with one?

# Python!

def fun(x):
if x == "Python":
print "Fun!!"
else:
print "Not fun."

fun(raw_input())

; R5RS compliant Scheme Lisp

(display
(if (eqv? (read) 'Scheme)
"Fun!!"
"Not fun."
)
)

/* Standard C */

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
int input = getc(); /* :-) */

if(input == 'C')
printf("Fun!!");
else
printf("Not fun.");

return 0;
}

Achetar
August 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM
C++ "fun"?!

I'll take that as a compliment

lisati
August 16th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Most of the languages I've looked at (and used) have a fun aspect to them - there can be a great satisfaction in getting a project into a usable state.

One of the WORST languages I've encountered was one I was expected to learn on a course I was on. It was an artificial language invented by the university that was intended to introduce the students to the basics of ASM programming (pun not intended).Trouble was, it was one of those antiquated languages where everything had to be exactly the right place - if your indentation was off by just one column, your chances of a successful assembly/compilation disappeared in a cloud of cascading error messages.

K7522
August 16th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Honestly, I think I have you all beat.

LOLCODE.com

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
PLZ OPEN FILE "LOLCATS.TXT"?
AWSUM THX
VISIBLE FILE
O NOES
INVISIBLE "ERROR!"
KTHXBYE

CptPicard
August 16th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Honestly, I think I have you all beat.

Fail (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5601441&postcount=28) :)

K7522
August 17th, 2008, 12:00 AM

I lose at life.

*slits own wrists

njkt
August 17th, 2008, 12:07 AM
You can call me a massochist, but, i've always enjoyed programming in assembly far more than python, c++, php, or the other languages i've picked up over the years. That is, of course, if we're just talking about programming for programming sake.

pmasiar
August 17th, 2008, 12:07 AM

<joke> (in case someone think I am serious)
waaaa! you cannot do that! Just because I did not read previous discussion? I have right for my own little opinion! stop having that opinion of yours right now! You are cabal trying to silence me! waaaa!
</joke>

BTW, K7522, it is not about you at all. (and your entry did have actual source code, so it **was** different)

It is about almost flamewars in one thread and then highly contested another thread I started (if you are around, you know, if not, you may not care). I hope that bringing that style 'ad absurdum' might open some eyes... although it also close some minds, it's hard to tell :-)

Alasdair
August 17th, 2008, 12:25 AM
You can call me a massochist, but, i've always enjoyed programming in assembly far more than python, c++, php, or the other languages i've picked up over the years. That is, of course, if we're just talking about programming for programming sake.
I agree - assembly can be a lot of fun, plus it will teach you a great deal about how your computer actually works.

MaxIBoy
August 17th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Python is a real joy to use it. I use Python for I/O-bound programs and for prototyping, as a test of how sound an algorithm is. If I can get an algorithm working quickly under Python, I move onto a compiled language.

jinksys
August 17th, 2008, 12:37 AM
i agree - assembly can be a lot of fun, plus it will teach you a great deal about how your computer actually works.

qfe

Mr.Macdonald
August 17th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Prolong is a brain teaser

pmasiar
August 17th, 2008, 01:31 AM
If I can get an algorithm working quickly under Python, I move onto a compiled language.

Did you ever tried Python compilers, like Psyco or ShedSkin? Or creating custom C library for the bottleneck part of you code, after profiling?

happysmileman
August 17th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Voted for C++ and Python sicne I enjoy them, I don't program much, when I do I use C++ and enjoy it, but now that KDE4 is out I can see myself using Python a lot more in the rare cases I acdtually do some programming (for plasmoids and scripts, presumably Kross is adopted widely)

yabbadabbadont
August 17th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Although I have no experience with it, I would guess that LOLCODE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOLCODE) would be pretty fun to use. Assuming that you could stop laughing while you wrote your code... :D

K7522
August 17th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Although I have no experience with it, I would guess that LOLCODE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOLCODE) would be pretty fun to use. Assuming that you could stop laughing while you wrote your code... :D

I wrote a 99 bottles of beer on the wall in LOLCODE and that's about it, I couldn't stop laughing and looking at LOLCAT (http://icanhascheezburger.com/) pictures.

lorgonjortle
August 17th, 2008, 03:59 AM
C++ "fun"?!

They sure are! I think BASIC should be up there, because that's by far the easiest/most fun "funnest" language in my opinion. No declaring variables, no including header files.... Just do stuff. It's great. But not very powerful at all, I'll add in. In terms of power and usability, i go with C++, because that's the only other one I know! ;-)

fiddler616
August 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I nominate TI-BASIC, TI-86 style.
I had a lot of fun programming random stuff after I finished a math test early, and it's also great having syntax errors be very difficult to make.

lisati
August 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I agree: "BASIC" was one of the first languages I used for my own personal use. The first computer I had which was bigger than a programmable calculator used a version of BASIC that was derived from that found on the TRS-80/System 80, which in turn was derived from a Microsoft product.

Some of the more recent versions of BASIC I've used (including FreeBASIC, which comes in Linux, DOS and Windows versions) prefer that you declare variables.

BASIC fans might also be interested in BCX, which is a dialect of BASIC that gets translated into C. The last time I checked, however, it was geared towards Windows systems, but since the source is available, some brave soul might be able to port it to Linux.

NathanB
August 17th, 2008, 11:57 AM
REBOL

http://www.rebol.com/docs/quick-start.html

thesmartace
August 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Ruby. No contest ;)

Yesideez
August 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM
For me it'd have to be a tie between these two languages I used on the Amiga:

Amiga E
Assembler

Can't choose really as I used both side-by-side. E let me use assembler in-line and had the best parts of all languages rolled into one.

jespdj
August 18th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I guess that programming is fun if you can create something that works quickly, without having to spend too much time on issues like memory management.

With that in mind, I'd say that something like Python or Ruby would be a fun programming langauge; they're not too hard to learn and hide many nasty details from you, so that you can concentrate on writing a working program.

C or C++ are definitely at the other side; those languages don't have automatic memory management, which makes them much harder to use. It will take you much longer to learn C or C++ than Python or Ruby and you'll be frustrated by bugs with pointers and memory leaks many times.

For Ubuntu, Python is probably the best choice for simple to moderately complex desktop applications.

LaRoza
August 18th, 2008, 12:59 PM
C or C++ are definitely at the other side; those languages don't have automatic memory management, which makes them much harder to use. It will take you much longer to learn C or C++ than Python or Ruby and you'll be frustrated by bugs with pointers and memory leaks many times.

Please don't put C and C++ in the same boat. C is very simple, and although its simplicity can get in the way, it never approached the complexity of the langauge known as "C++".

jespdj
August 19th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Please don't put C and C++ in the same boat. C is very simple, and although its simplicity can get in the way, it never approached the complexity of the langauge known as "C++".
You're right, C is a lot simpler than C++, but it is still very low-level and requires you to manually manage memory and will give you lots of bugs with regards to pointers.

SexyTechDude
August 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Oh, and most fun to me is Actionscript 3.0

I dont know if you'd consider it as being in the same boat as C++ or anything, (I havent really tried anything other than html/css/xml/php and flash cs3) :confused:

Kadrus
August 19th, 2008, 10:10 AM
snip

How on earth is that relevant to this thread?

SexyTechDude
August 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
How on earth is that relevant to this thread?

how on Jupiter is that relevant to this thread?

:KS

Yesideez
August 19th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Assembler:

progstart
movem.l d1-d7/a1-a6,-(sp)
move.l 4.w,a6
lea dos(pc),a1
moveq.l #0,d0
jsr -$228(a6) ;OpenLibrary(a1,d0)exec
move.l d0,a6
beq.b .err
jsr -$3c(a6) Output()dos
move.l d0,d1
beq.b .noIO
lea text(pc),a2
move.l a2,d2
moveq.l #13,d3
jsr -$30(a6) ;Write(d1,d2,d3)dos
.cldos move.l a6,a1
move.l 4.w,a6
jsr -$19e(a6) ;CloseLibrary(a1)exec
.err movem.l (sp)+,d1-d7/a1-a6
moveq.l #0,d0
rts

dos dc.b 'dos.library',0
text dc.b 'Hello world!',$a
end

Probably the best language I ever used.

ooobuntooo
August 19th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Pascal and Visual basic suck!!

NovaAesa
August 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Pascal and Visual basic suck!!

flamebait anyone? mdr

What's wrong with visual basic? Easy to pick up, you don't have to do OOP if you don't want to, it has static strong typing (my favourite typing system), you can set up a GUI in seconds. If it wasn't for Visual Basic, I might not have gotten into programming.

It's only downside is that it runs in Windows and is a closed language. These things make no difference if you are only using it as a beginner's language though (which is what it's meant to be used for).

Kadrus
August 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM
if you are only using it as a beginner's language though (which is what it's meant to be used for).
It's the nub's language.I can see why people might say that Visual Basic might suck,because it can give bad habits to a programmer,and when switching to another language,he might encounter a lot of difficulties.

LaRoza
August 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM
These things make no difference if you are only using it as a beginner's language though (which is what it's meant to be used for).

That is wrong. It is a highly advanced language for advanced programmers.

Lster
August 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Visual Basic .NET is just rather standard. It doesn't add anything (except object-orientation)...

Even so, I don't see how it "can give bad habits to a programmer". I don't know the language well any more, but it seems pretty standard to me.

Kadrus
August 19th, 2008, 12:20 PM
A bit of Googling..found this..a bit surprised.
Linus Torvalds

For example, I personally believe that Visual Basic did more for programming than Object-Oriented Languages did. Yet people laugh at VB and say it’s a bad language, and they’ve been talking about OO languages for decades.

And no, Visual Basic wasn’t a great language, but I think the easy database interfaces in VB were fundamentally more important than object orientation is, for example.

Orlsend
August 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Python is fun :D Well the point I am now on easy stuff

dribeas
August 19th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Don't want to start a discussion here, but please don't mix C/C++. They are two different languages, and if you don't agree it's ok (it's not, but I won't discuss here) but just for the sake of it offer both possibilities.

David

Vishal Agarwal
August 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM
That is wrong. It is a highly advanced language for advanced programmers.

LaRoza is right. VB is one of the best programming tool for Nub,s and advanced programmers. There are 2 most lovely features, that I like is :
1. The VB supports the API (Application Program Interface).
2. Also the feature of VB is VBA, that is also one of wonderful feature of VB.

pmasiar
August 20th, 2008, 03:10 PM
LaRoza is right. VB is one of the best programming tool for Nub,s and advanced programmers. There are 2 most lovely features, that I like is :
1. The VB supports the API (Application Program Interface).
2. Also the feature of VB is VBA, that is also one of wonderful feature of VB.

This is first time IIRC when LaRoza promoted legacy platform and language. :-)

VB **might** be good choice for someone looking forward to be shackled into MSFT proprietary universe. But why anyone would choose (or advise to choose) slavery when freedom is for free?

LaRoza
August 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
This is first time IIRC when LaRoza promoted legacy platform and language. :-)

No, I said it was for advanced programmers only. Only a programmer who understand what they are are doing should ever use VB and VS.

jespdj
August 20th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Oh, and most fun to me is Actionscript 3.0

I dont know if you'd consider it as being in the same boat as C++ or anything, (I havent really tried anything other than html/css/xml/php and flash cs3) :confused:
ActionScript is totally different from C++ and definitely not "in the same boat" in any way.

Zeotronic
August 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I think Python is the 'funnest' Language, but this may only be because I'm having a good time trying to learn it. I'm fairly certain that at, at least one point while learning it I actually laughed, though that was probably at the documentation on the python site ('with', not 'at'), or perhaps at my own abstract sense of humor, which I made it a point to exercise while learning it. I don't think I ever really had a good time (in any sort of comical manner at least) with C++... and I know I never liked HTML, which is the only other language besides which I would claim to know.

skeeterbug
August 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM
No, I said it was for advanced programmers only. Only a programmer who understand what they are are doing should ever use VB and VS.

http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/hey-language-snobs-dont-pinch-pennies/

Tim Sharitt
August 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I have to go with lisp. I'm still a beginner with it, but learning common lisp (and now clojure) has been much more enjoyable than most other languages except for C (and that's probably because it was the first language I learned). I might have voted for C if it hadn't been paired with C++.

cmay
August 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM
i think it is just fun to learn something.
i voted for pascal, c, c++, perl as this is what i have
been dabbling whit.

bruce89
August 20th, 2008, 08:25 PM
There are no fun languages, they all make you want to tear out one of your own kidneys.

pmasiar
August 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
There are no fun languages, they all make you want to tear out one of your own kidneys.

Which languages do you know from personal experience? because then we can suggest which one to try.

I bet you don't know Python (yet), so your opinion is biased... or maybe your destiny is not in programming...

bruce89
August 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Which languages do you know from personal experience? because then we can suggest which one to try.

I bet you don't know Python (yet), so your opinion is biased... or maybe your destiny is not in programming...

Indeed I don't, and I don't intend to. I don't like things that are that popular.

Anyway, C, Java and Vala in that order of non-screwyness.

linuxguymarshall
August 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I voted "Other" because there is an entire programming language in l33t

jimi_hendrix
August 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
really? whats it called ive looked at wikipedia's entry of all languages but it only has lolcode

pmasiar
August 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Indeed I don't, and I don't intend to. I don't like things that are that popular.

I did not know that kidney amputations are that popular with some people :-)

linuxguymarshall
August 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
really? whats it called ive looked at wikipedia's entry of all languages but it only has lolcode

Here is the URL : http://www.geocities.com/electrodruiduk/l33t.htm

LaRoza
August 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Anyway, C, Java and Vala in that order of non-screwyness.

You realise you just named two of the most popular languages?

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

bruce89
August 20th, 2008, 09:17 PM
You realise you just named two of the most popular languages?

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

You've got me, well done. Perhaps C and Java are used a lot, but people aren't so fanatical about them as people are about Python.

LaRoza
August 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
You've got me, well done. Perhaps C and Java are used a lot, but people aren't so fanatical about them as people are about Python.

I think more people are C fanatics (in fact, a forum is called that devoted to C) and there are those who swear by Java (usually Blubs, but some people use Java because of its strengths, instead of their lack of knowledge of other languages)

In fact, I think Java has more of its fans than Python. It is on this forum that Python is so popular, for various reasons, one being it is recommended by Ubuntu and another being it is installed by default.

pmasiar
August 20th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Perhaps C and Java are used a lot, but people aren't so fanatical about them as people are about Python.

C is system programming language, as such is base for everything else, a must-know language.

Java gained it's position as a result of being promoted into high heavens by rich company during dot-com boom. Compared to that, Python is only promoted by word of mouth, with no budget and until recently no company.

So who you will trust more: honest opinion of a experienced hacker with no financial interest at all and only interested to help you (as Python helped to him), or marketoid trying to sell you something?

LaRoza
August 20th, 2008, 09:36 PM
So who you will trust more: honest opinion of a experienced hacker with no financial interest at all and only interested to help you (as Python helped to him), or marketoid trying to sell you something?

Who is going to pay for lunch, and give me things?

http://www.hackles.org/strips/cartoon185.png

bruce89
August 20th, 2008, 10:26 PM
In fact, I think Java has more of its fans than Python. It is on this forum that Python is so popular, for various reasons, one being it is recommended by Ubuntu and another being it is installed by default.

Where is the recommendation? I admit a lot of Ubuntu-specific programs are written in Python.

I trust my judgment. I'm not sure which languages are "sold".

Anyway, all I can see going for Python is ease of programming (vala is much the same), not having to compile stuff (this is a big advantage) and no pointers with all the memory issues they have (of course, the interpreter has to be in memory also, voiding this somewhat [I've seen update-manager use 100MB]).

pmasiar
August 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Where is the recommendation? I admit a lot of Ubuntu-specific programs are written in Python.

I cannot find the recommendation - ubuntu is distro, packaging all worthy packages, in whatever language they are.

I trust my judgement. I'm not sure which languages are "sold".

Your judgment just failed you :-)

Certainly Java only recently became GPLed. Are you young enough not to know/remember how it was promoted in say '97?

bgs100
November 29th, 2008, 03:00 AM
:mad:Hey, what about BASIC!!!???