PDA

View Full Version : [Java] How to append text to a file like a log?

Zdravko
August 16th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hi!
I am about to write a small Java application, that will eventually run on a Windows machine. The program will generate a lot of output and it will be printed on the console via the System.out.* functions. But the program will run for a long time and I want to make things better, by printing in a text file too.
What should I use for appending text to a file? I prefer a simple, but fast method. Since the user might want to cancel the program, I want all output to be already written to the file so that the file is not lost, when not properly closed.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

P.S. I tried to ask this in a java IRC channel, but the guys there seemed to be even ignorant as me.

NovaAesa
August 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
PrintWriter outFile = new PrintWriter("fileName.txt"); //opens file
outFile.println("what you want to write"); //writes to file
outfile.close(); //closes the file

Nothing too bad happens if you don't close the file. Also, unless you are staring off with a fresh file, you might want to find a way of reading all the entries, storing in an array and then printing them back. Either that or find a way that will actually append.

myrtle1908
August 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM
String filename= "MyDataFile.txt";
boolean append = true;
FileWriter fw = new FileWriter(filename,append);
fw.write("add a line\n");//appends the string to the file
fw.close();

Zdravko
August 16th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks to both of you. But in the mean time I tried this:

try {
bw = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter("results.txt", true));
} catch(Exception e) {
System.out.println(e);
e.printStackTrace();
}
try {
for (;;) {
bw.write("some text...");
bw.newLine();
bw.flush();
}
} catch(Exception e) {
System.out.println(e);
e.printStackTrace();
}

I noticed, that canceling the program with Ctrl+C is not a problem, because the file is flushed after each write operation.
I think that I managed it! What do you think?

NovaAesa
August 16th, 2008, 11:48 AM
That certainly works as well. That's one of the great things about Java, there are many ways to do the same thing.