PDA

View Full Version : KDE and Intrepid Ibex

Giant Speck
August 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I read something today that said that Intrepid Ibex is going to ship with KDE 4.1 as default.

What I want to know is if KDE 3.5.9 will still be usable in Intrepid, or will KDE users who favor 3.5.9 will be forced to make the switch to KDE 4.1.

I'm saying this because I want to upgrade to Intrepid Ibex when it's finally released in October, but I don't want to use KDE 4.x until I'm satisfied with it. I highly prefer KDE 3.5.9 to KDE 4.1 right now and I'm just not ready to make the switch.

I'm pretty sure there are other users out there that share my opinions of KDE 4.1 and still want to use KDE 3.5.9 once Kubuntu 8.10 is released.

steveydoteu
August 16th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Baring in mind a lot of the applications such as Kopete for example, will be in KDE4 form so it would be very difficult to alter the default install as I doubt the older versions will be included in the main repositories.

If you are really that unsure about using KDE4 I suggest sticking with Kubuntu 8.04 until you decide otherwise.

Bachstelze
August 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM
If you are really that unsure about using KDE4 I suggest sticking with Kubuntu 8.04 until you decide otherwise.

Ditto. KDE 3.5 is not in Intrepid right now, and it's very unlikely to change. Maybe there will be some kind of unofficial repo for 3.5 though, but it's generally a bad idea to use them. Or you can always build it from source, Qt 3 is still there ;)

MONODA
August 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
i think they will make a kubuntu with 3.5.10 (which will be release soon) and a kubuntu with 4.1 or 4.2, whichever is latest.

Bachstelze
August 16th, 2008, 10:57 AM
i think they will make a kubuntu with 3.5.10 (which will be release soon) and a kubuntu with 4.1 or 4.2, whichever is latest.

As I said, if there is a KDE 3.5 version, it most likely won't be official since there is no 3.5 packages in the repos as of now.

Canis familiaris
August 16th, 2008, 11:06 AM
May I know what this means to users like me who use GNOME but freqeuntly use KDE 3.5 apps like Amarok, K3b, Kooka, etc.?

stimpack
August 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
May I know what this means to users like me who use GNOME but freqeuntly use KDE 3.5 apps like Amarok, K3b, Kooka, etc.?

It shouldn't affect you, you will have the kde4 libs instead of the kde3 libs, but thats all in the background.

I hope kd4 is a bit more fleshed out now, part of being a KDE'er is liking the mass of features and options.

Canis familiaris
August 16th, 2008, 11:17 AM
It shouldn't affect you, you will have the kde4 libs instead of the kde3 libs, but thats all in the background.

I hope kd4 is a bit more fleshed out now, part of being a KDE'er is liking the mass of features and options.
Thanks. I cant bear to even think of parting with my favourite KDE programs.
BTW could KDE4 apps in Hardy would be able to be themed like GTK using Qt 4 Settings?

chris4585
August 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM
only two KDE programs I'm worried about Gwenview and ksnapshot, those I prefer over their gnome counter parts, but at the same time, I've seen the newer version of gwenview and I hate its ******* interface, would a older gwenview deb install fine in intrepid ibex? One would think so.. other then that I could care less if Qt4 and KDE fell off the face off earth

To clarify I only like the layout and UI of gwenview and options.

Bachstelze
August 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM

K3b is not really a KDE application, it just uses the Qt toolkit and some KDE libraries. So far, there is no Qt/KDE 4 version of K3b and Amarok, so those applications remain unchanged. Kooka, however, doesn't seem to exist anymore, most likely it got replaced by another application in KDE 4.

mips
August 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks. I cant bear to even think of parting with my favourite KDE programs.
BTW could KDE4 apps in Hardy would be able to be themed like GTK using Qt 4 Settings?

I don't see why not.

Canis familiaris
August 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Kooka, however, doesn't seem to exist anymore, most likely it got replaced by another application in KDE 4.
Oh no! I liked Kooka! It worked so well for me.
Would I be able to download KDE3 libs and compile from source?

Bachstelze
August 16th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Oh no! I liked Kooka! It worked so well for me.
Would I be able to download KDE3 libs and compile from source?

Certainly. The KDE3 libraries are still available in Intrepid, so compiling Kooka should be pretty easy. You could also try to just install the Hardy package. It might or might not work, but it can't hurt.

SunnyRabbiera
August 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM
My advice to those who wish not to switch over to KDE4 on future releases of ubuntu is to use gnome in its place.
I know a lot of pro KDE fans hate that idea but as a impartial party I rather use gnome then that POS KDE4.

andamaru
August 16th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Before you knock down KDE 4.1 you should give it a shot. It's A LOT better then KDE 4.0. KDE4 also has kde3 support libs so they'll ship the amarok 1 and k3b if the KDE 4 version are not ready.

SunnyRabbiera
August 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Before you knock down KDE 4.1 you should give it a shot. It's A LOT better then KDE 4.0. KDE4 also has kde3 support libs so they'll ship the amarok 1 and k3b if the KDE 4 version are not ready.

I did but I still dislike it.
It still has many bugs and issues I dont like.

Bachstelze
August 16th, 2008, 04:18 PM
It still has many bugs and issues I dont like.

Yeah, but even with all those minor bugs and issues, it's still way better than Gnome to me. Hell, Gnome doesn't even need to have a new major version to remove features...

JillSwift
August 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Before you knock down KDE 4.1 you should give it a shot. It's A LOT better then KDE 4.0. KDE4 also has kde3 support libs so they'll ship the amarok 1 and k3b if the KDE 4 version are not ready.For all the improvements in 4.1 over 4.0, I still didn't find it usable. I love where they're going with KDE4, but they're not there yet.
If 4.1 ships with Intrepid, I'm gonna stick with Hardy 'till KDE4 is ready.

SunnyRabbiera
August 16th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Yeah, but even with all those minor bugs and issues, it's still way better than Gnome to me. Hell, Gnome doesn't even need to have a new major version to remove features...

But plasma still needs work, I dont like the fact that closed apps stay in the panel, plus it still lacks many features that even gnome has over it.
Like being able to work properly, KDE 4.1 still feels like a mess and I still have stability issues.

stmiller
August 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Hey all, why not Install Intrepid with KDE4 and file bug reports? That would help speed up the KDE4 goodness...

steveydoteu
August 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Now now, lets not start arguments over what is better, personal opinion should prevail as the winner here.

Being a Gnome user, I will not knock down those that choose KDE but infact, in the spirit of the community help them as best I can.

JillSwift
August 16th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Hey all, why not Install Intrepid with KDE4 and file bug reports? That would help speed up the KDE4 goodness...Because I need my machine to be usable? All the issues I have with KDE4 are known and being worked on by the KDE4 team. I'm not worried that I'll be using KDE4 happily one day, just not yet.

stimpack
August 16th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Well said steveydoteu. Sadly we are in the minority, desktop fanaticism is pretty overwhelming here, I find it quite unpleasant at times, the most innocent of threads getting derailed.

JillSwift
August 16th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Well said steveydoteu. Sadly we are in the minority, desktop fanaticism is pretty overwhelming here, I find it quite unpleasant at times, the most innocent of threads getting derailed.
What are you and steveydoteu talking about? I've not seen any bashing or fanaticism in this thread.

steveydoteu
August 16th, 2008, 07:39 PM
What are you and steveydoteu talking about? I've not seen any bashing or fanaticism in this thread.

I never said there was, if you read my post carefully I said lets not get into arguments about which is superior.

Giant Speck
August 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM

I did try KDE 4.1. And I tried KDE 4.0.

I didn't like either of them.

What did you think I meant, that I didn't want to switch to KDE 4.1 because I was afraid to try something new? It's not that. Otherwise I wouldn't be talking about upgrading to Intrepid Ibex in the first place.

While KDE 4.1 is aesthetically pleasing, but is not as functional as the KDE 3.5.9 that I have grown to love.

SunnyRabbiera
August 16th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I did try KDE 4.1. And I tried KDE 4.0.

I didn't like either of them.

What did you think I meant, that I didn't want to switch to KDE 4.1 because I was afraid to try something new? It's not that. Otherwise I wouldn't be talking about upgrading to Intrepid Ibex in the first place.

While KDE 4.1 is aesthetically pleasing, but is not as functional as the KDE 3.5.9 that I have grown to love.

Aye, my feelings too.

Bachstelze
August 17th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Okay now. There was a question asked, and it was: "will KDE 3.5 be available in Intrepid?" not "Do you like KDE 4 so far?"

Please stay on-topic, I'm sure there are lots of KDE4-bashing threads out there.

SunnyRabbiera
August 17th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Well its bound to come up, just because you like KDE4 doesnt mean the rest of us have to.

Bachstelze
August 17th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Well its bound to come up, just because you like KDE4 doesnt mean the rest of us have to.

How do you know I like KDE4? And anyway, that's not the point, is it?

chris4585
August 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM
only two KDE programs I'm worried about Gwenview and ksnapshot, those I prefer over their gnome counter parts, but at the same time, I've seen the newer version of gwenview and I hate its ******* interface, would a older gwenview deb install fine in intrepid ibex? One would think so.. other then that I could care less if Qt4 and KDE fell off the face off earth

To clarify I only like the layout and UI of gwenview and options.

since there will be kde 3.5 libs in the repos in ibex i take it i can run my two favorite kde 3.5 programs just fine?

SunnyRabbiera
August 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Still kde4 is still unstable and in my opinion unusuable.
I have had countless issues with KDE 4.0 and 4.1

mips
August 17th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Still kde4 is still unstable and in my opinion unusuable.
I have had countless issues with KDE 4.0 and 4.1

You continue ignoring the OPs question and stearing the thread in your own direction? Ok, we get it, you hate kde4, how many more times do we have to listen to you regurgitating it?

What I want to know is if KDE 3.5.9 will still be usable in Intrepid, or will KDE users who favor 3.5.9 will be forced to make the switch to KDE 4.1.

andamaru
August 18th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I don't have Intrepid Ibex installed but I don't think KDE 3.5 is going to be shipped. I only did a quick search on packages.ubuntu.com. They should backport it or I'm sure someone will release their own kde 3.5 packages

paxmark1
September 23rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Quick scan through all. Still, if the KDE 3.5.X version is less cpu and graphics intensive and for those who choose to stick with KDE because of older machines and personal preference...

Would it be possible to add xubuntu presently and then come November after the dust settles to do aptitude dist-upgrade from Xubuntu?

Or would it make more sense to (back up back up) do a clean install of Xubuntu and then add KDE 3.5.X

peace, mark

Kevbert
September 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Intrepid started off with KDE 3.5.9 and the current version is KDE 4.1.1 in Intrepid Alpha6. KDE is improving all the time, there are some glitches with both KDE 4.1.1 and the way in which it has been implemented into Intrepid, but things are improving all the time. You may be surprised when Intrepid Kubuntu is finally released. If you have any problems raise a bug report in Launchpad or Bugzilla, all input helps to improve the software. I've raised a few bugs myself in both.

Chame_Wizard
September 23rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
they rather stick with KDE 3.5 series,since i love it too much:lolflag:

Kevbert
September 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Quick scan through all. Still, if the KDE 3.5.X version is less cpu and graphics intensive and for those who choose to stick with KDE because of older machines and personal preference...

Would it be possible to add xubuntu presently and then come November after the dust settles to do aptitude dist-upgrade from Xubuntu?

Or would it make more sense to (back up back up) do a clean install of Xubuntu and then add KDE 3.5.X

peace, mark

Xubuntu comes with Xfce by default and not KDE. Kubuntu Hardy came with KDE 3.5.X. A clean install would be best.

of_darkness
September 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
a dirty hack to kde3 in intrepid.
------------------------------------------------
well i did a intrepid install,updated.

then i commented out the intrepid sources and added the hardy sources.

then i updated the package cash.

then i installed all kde3 packages and only them.

and then i pinned them in synaptic so that the wont be owerwrited whit kde4.

reverted to intrepid sources and updted the packages cashe.

and for kde4 packages i use the hardy kde4 ppa that can be installed besides kde3.

it pretty mouch works until kde3*onlly intrepid repos are upp and working.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
personal experiences and thoughs about kde4.
-----------------------------------------------------------
and i actualy gave kde4 a try but untill some better icon thems native kde4 comes thats one show stopepr for me.

and some other bugs and badly working things in plasma.

on the good side akregator kde4 is usable,one nice thing is the avibility to use custom colors for new and "old" unread posts in list..