PDA

View Full Version : Found a neato website for studying languages.

UniverseA7X
August 16th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I know a few people on here are learning a new language, I remember someone posting a thread about wanting to learn Japanese, LaRoza is learning Hindi, and I'm going for German myself.

This website seems to look promising, www.livemocha.com, There's several courses that take on college naming (English 101, 102, etc.) and each course has a wealth of information. You get to write, read, listen, as well as speak for others on the website to help and correct you where you might be wrong. You can also help others with languages you know or are a native tongue.

How many have used this, and what are your opinions of it? It's kind of helping me stay on a routine, studying for a little more than an hour a day, going back if I don't remember something.

:popcorn:

Swarms
August 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
That website is great, my chance for finally picking up on spanish! :)

DrMega
August 16th, 2008, 09:04 PM
That looks promising. I had an idea a while ago and bounced it off a few colleagues, who all laughed and said it would never work. I don't care though, as long as someone does it, it doesn't matter who did it.

I'll certainly be giving it a closer look. I got 80% in the Spanish test on the site (although I have to admit some of my answers I arrived at by deduction, knowing only a few of the words in the multiple choice answers, rather than actually understanding it all).

Swarms
August 16th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Too bad its only free while in beta.

DrMega
August 16th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Too bad its only free while in beta.

I didn't see any mention of that.

UniverseA7X
August 16th, 2008, 11:51 PM
yeah, neither did I. As far as I understood, it was free period.

koji042
August 17th, 2008, 12:56 AM
This looks like a great website. I've been looking around for Japanese lessons for some time now. Too bad it'll be a for pay service when it gets out of beta. :( It tells you on their website (http://www.livemocha.com/help/onlinehelp#pricing).

Oh well, thanks! I'll use it while I still can. :)

UniverseA7X
August 17th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Well that sucks. The reason it was free was the reason I signed up. Only to find it was a great program.

I sent them a message using their feedback tool begging them to not make it a paid service. lol. Dunno how much that would affect things, but hey, maybe if enough people respond, then they would listen.

I know all those language software prices and tape prices really try to rip you a new one.

Swarms
August 17th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Pricing

Currently, while LiveMocha is in Beta, every feature and function you currently see on the site is free. In the future, LiveMocha will be a paid site with some content remaining free.
http://www.livemocha.com/help/onlinehelp#pricing

Giant Speck
August 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I was so glad when I found out this site offers classes in Russian now.

Слава Богу!

DrMega
August 17th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Well I guess they have to at least cover their costs, and if someone has packed in their job to run this service then they will need to earn a living. I have no problem with that. If they ask me to pay money I will decide at the time if it is worth it or not.

UniverseA7X
August 18th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Well I guess they have to at least cover their costs, and if someone has packed in their job to run this service then they will need to earn a living. I have no problem with that. If they ask me to pay money I will decide at the time if it is worth it or not.

I guess you're right. If the price isn't too bad, and if it's not a subscription, which I'd assume it would be, I might pay for it. But I may as well take advantage of it while I can. I'm going to end up taking Conversational German at the community college here and German I in school. AND I'm going to go there as well, so it shouldn't be a big worry. :)

worx101
August 18th, 2008, 06:28 AM
cool website, sad that it doesn't have malay :( then again, didn't really expect it too.

Hopefully one or two of them will assist tho :)

|{urse
August 18th, 2008, 10:16 AM
awesome, this site is just awesome. I'm to 200 level classes in spanish in a couple hrs.