PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ./configure help

ss2pheonix
August 16th, 2008, 04:31 AM
when im installing beryl i try to ./configure like the instructions say but when i do i get an error that says "c compiler cannot create executables"
whats that mean?

CloudFX
August 16th, 2008, 06:03 AM
It's not worth install Beryl. The new desktop effects application for Ubuntu is Compiz Fusion. It's preinstalled in Ubuntu, and System > Preferences > Appearance, under the Visual Effects tab, offers three default options for visual effects.

However, if you would like to manually configure your effects and add even more, enter the following into a terminal:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Now go to System > Prefences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings and you can manually configure your desktop settings.

jualin
August 16th, 2008, 06:05 AM
What version of Ubuntu are you using?

ss2pheonix
August 19th, 2008, 08:27 PM

jualin
August 22nd, 2008, 05:34 AM

That version of Ubuntu doesn't require the old Beryl since it comes with Compiz Fusion (Beryl+Compiz) by default. You don't have to install Beryl. Check on Synaptic that you have the package "compiz" installed. Or via terminal
sudo apt-get install compiz

ss2pheonix
August 28th, 2008, 10:10 PM
yeah well i downgraded to 7.10 cause i didnt like 8.04 but it is still doing the same thing

adult swim
August 28th, 2008, 10:49 PM
did you do like cloudfx said, sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager, and then go to system/preferences/advanced desktop settings? there is no need to install beryl.

oldos2er
August 29th, 2008, 01:19 AM
yeah well i downgraded to 7.10 cause i didnt like 8.04 but it is still doing the same thing

You need to install the package "build-essential"