PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing ubuntu from flash drive, computer crashing

thatguy113
August 16th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Ok, I downloaded the Ubuntu .ISO and extracted all of the files to a flash drive using PowerISO. I also used PowerISO to make a bootable image file (.BIF) which I then saved onto the flash drive. I have an old laptop which is running Windows XP and its basically junk. I started it up with the flash drive in a USB port and pressed F12 and went into the boot menu. The only OS it showed was Windows XP. Not that I really expected it to work (it would have been too easy). I restarted it and pressed the escape key which took me to a screen with a solid dark blue background and some grey boxes asking me where to boot from. My choices were: Hard Drive, Cd/Dvd Drive (the optical drive is gone), A:, and LAN network. I tried to boot from A: (I was hoping it meant the flash drive) and it crashed. Then, when I restarted it, it shortly crashed again, I tried to boot it from the hard drive, it writes several lines, then when it gets to a certain line it crashes. Now I can't get it to even startup and run windows because it keeps crashing.
I need help fixing the laptop, and making the flash drive bootable (its formatted FAT if that is important). ANY help is desired and GREATLY appreciated

meindian523
August 16th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I think you would be better off following pendrivelinux's tutorial on creating a Live-cum-installable flash drive.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05/15/usb-ubuntu-804-persistent-install-from-linux/