PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good, cheap, 2.5" PATA IDE hard drive? (or SSD)

zmjjmz
August 16th, 2008, 03:10 AM
As most of you probably don't know, my Thinkpad 560's 2GB hard drive died a while ago.
Luckily it's easy to replace, but I don't have a lot of budget for this machine and most of the hard drives I've seen were pretty expensive and probably inappropriate for a 12" Thinkpad from 1997.

Also, does anyone know if USB to IDE adaptors exist, and how I would go about setting this HDD up? (I intend to preinstall Damn Small Linux)

lswb
August 16th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Check out ebay for inexpensive notebook hard drives. An older model say 20GB will not cost much, and sometimes can be found still in the factory package.

There are also cheap external enclosures that convert a laptop drive to an external USB drive, again available on ebay. Last time I bought some they were under $10 IIRC.

zmjjmz
August 16th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Check out ebay for inexpensive notebook hard drives. An older model say 20GB will not cost much, and sometimes can be found still in the factory package.

There are also cheap external enclosures that convert a laptop drive to an external USB drive, again available on ebay. Last time I bought some they were under $10 IIRC.

Any good keywords to search by?