PDA

View Full Version : Will this all work?

Lord Xeb
August 16th, 2008, 02:52 AM
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12693947&WishListTitle=LINUX

I have finally can up with a computer build which suits me and my budget. Also, the reason why I have such a strong GPU is because I am going to dual-boot windows and play games :D Also, I am using AMD because it cheaper and I have no preferance of CPU since they will do the same thing an also AMD has hyperthreading and Virtualization support. I plan to use both since this computer will double eventually as data server for my house when booted as linux >_>

Lord Xeb
August 16th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Hello!

BGFG
August 16th, 2008, 07:23 AM
hey,
Your choice of hardware does not seem too exotic, but by no means am i a hardware guru. The only thing i'd look at is your choice of graphics card. In ubuntu nvidia has great support and ATI not so hot. But i have yet to come across any propriety drivers for gigabyte. Whenever i build a machine i plan to definitely use a high end nvidia card.

Take a look at this thread to see what i mean.

http://ge.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?p=4447029

PryGuy
August 16th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I'd say Intel + nVidia...

Xzallion
August 16th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I just took a look at your list, there isn't any problem hardware in there. The Gigabyte video card has an Nvidia chipset, and will work with the Nvidia Drivers. The only thing to worry about is that without a built in Intel video chipset on your motherboard, you have nothing to fall back on should the open Nvidia drivers not work correctly. Be prepared to install the Nvidia drivers by command line, as a worst case scenario.

Now, to teach you how to look for hardware support. Most Newegg products that get bought, eventually have a comment on how they work in linux. Check the customer reveiws for the specific product. Second, google the part by its model number "Make, Model# linux support?" and read. This will help you more then just posting wishlists and asking. This was a seriously easy one to find out if it was linux compatible or not, so take a look around next time.

And if for some reason you can't find it, were a post away. Happy computing.

Lord Xeb
August 16th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Dude, holy awesome ninjas of awesomeness! THANK YOU! >_> I will be sure to do that next time :D Also, I love the command line and installing drivers ins't very hard, just annoying sometimes and long other times.