PDA

View Full Version : A little research goes a long way

BGFG
August 16th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Not to be ******* or anything because i'm new to the forums and have posted my share of noob questions. But i must pay respect to all the thousand plus posters for answering the same questions over and over again.
It takes so much more energy to register in a forum, then say that you're thinking of using ubuntu, then methodically list all of your program needs and ask if your preferred flavour of linux has it.

But what has happened to the google search ?

Wanna know of good vector graphics software for ubuntu ?

http://www.google.com then:

Ubuntu + Vector Graphics

Good bibe study ?

Ubuntu + Bible study + software

Good Fractal Generator ?

Ubuntu + Fractal Software

Wanna learn how to optimise your google search synthax ?

http://www.google.com/help/cheatsheet.html
http://www.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=searchguides.html&ctx=advanced&hl=en

Please don't misunderstand, i love helping others and being helped, But so many questions are have already been answered here by hard working guys and gals....
I guess thats it.

loell
August 16th, 2008, 02:35 AM
helpful Forum user + google Search = Ubuntu noobs Search engine ;)

BGFG
August 16th, 2008, 02:50 AM
LoL. so true. and back to absolute Beginners we go ! :)

JillSwift
August 16th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Thing is, what those new users are looking for is something Google can't offer - human support. It really helps to know that someone out there somewhere gives a darn whether or not you get your problem straightened out.

Though, I think it would be very useful to all the new users to end posts with things like "For even more information, search Google/the forums with 'blah-blah'". =^_^=

lisati
August 16th, 2008, 02:55 AM
There are several forum users with more expertise than myself, I "tip my hat" to them out of respect.
I also know what you mean - I often see the same (or similar) questions come up again and again, and can almost type the answers to some of them automatically.

kernelhaxor
August 16th, 2008, 03:14 AM
saw a few things on that cheatsheet tht I hadn't seen before .. Thanks!

LeoSolaris
August 16th, 2008, 03:47 AM
This should be a sticky at the top of the Absolute Beginner's section! Maybe with a title like:
How to solve most of Ubuntu's problems!

It's a great point, but the repeatedly answering questions is one thing that separates the Ubuntu forums from a great deal of other Linux distro forums.

cariboo
August 16th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I for one do get tired of seeing the same questions over and over agian. The real problem is that the forum's search engine sucks. If we could convince the newbies to use google to find the answers to their questions instead of the using the forum search engine we might not see so many duplicate questions.

The only other solution would be to improve the forums search engine.

Jim

BGFG
August 16th, 2008, 05:38 AM
saw a few things on that cheatsheet tht I hadn't seen before .. Thanks!

Your Welcome! :)
I'm also in agreement with everyone else. I think a 'beginners Setup' sticky would be in order. As for repeatedly answering questions, I've been to some other forums and most pale in comparison, quite cold actually. i guess i'll hold up my end and keep answering where i can.
Think I'll work on a beginners HOWTO. start to finish.

hansdown
August 16th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I for one do get tired of seeing the same questions over and over agian. The real problem is that the forum's search engine sucks. If we could convince the newbies to use google to find the answers to their questions instead of the using the forum search engine we might not see so many duplicate questions.

The only other solution would be to improve the forums search engine.

Jim

Google does work best, (my personal preference). I'm not assighning fault, it just works for me.

chris4585
August 16th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Agreed, when I want to find something on this forum, I use google, because it just works, boy isn't that ironic?