View Full Version : [ubuntu] i/o error.

Necrom@ncer
August 15th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I am trying to install ubuntu 8.10 on my IBM thimkpad. Here are the specs:

Pentium m 2.0 ghz
768 mb ram
dvd rom drive installed
floppy bay can be installed

I get buffer I/o error on device sda and buffer i/o error on device sda on the live cd, going to try the alt cd. I am putting ubuntu on because it had XP, but it stopped booting past bios. I can provide more info if needed

spiderbatdad
August 16th, 2008, 12:06 AM
what model? Thinkpads are great with ubuntu, but many models require some boot options. My T30 boot and installs well with the options: lapic pci=routeirq, other thinkpads use other options, you might google ubuntu boot options <your model>

Necrom@ncer
August 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I dont know. I looked in the bios, but it is called type 2366

Necrom@ncer
August 16th, 2008, 12:13 AM
by the way. when the errors get to a certain # it brings up busy box, which does not recognize sudo or other basic debian commands. I typed help, but I cant stop the errors. I will try your command on the live cd.

spiderbatdad
August 16th, 2008, 12:15 AM
That's a T30 i believe. From the startup page, select F6 and delete quiet splash-- from the end of the kernel line. Then type in: lapic pci=routeirq

After the installation, the first boot will require you to do the same, then you need to edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst
gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
Make it look like this:

# savedefault=true

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu intrepid (development branch), kernel 2.6.26-5-server
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-5-server root=UUID=(#'s) ro lapic pci=routeirq
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-5-server
quiet
savedefaultAs highlighted above...your kernel is different, you only want to change what is highlighted.

Necrom@ncer
August 16th, 2008, 12:24 AM
i am trying it now

spiderbatdad
August 16th, 2008, 12:30 AM
standing by.:)

Necrom@ncer
August 16th, 2008, 12:49 AM
i will post again l8r

Necrom@ncer
August 16th, 2008, 07:20 PM
ok, the alternate cd works, but it fails to detect my cd drive during installation, failing the install process. the drive is an IBM dvd rom on a t30 thinkpad.