PDA

View Full Version : A reason why guests are not allowed to post nor make threads in most online forums

Animeniac
August 15th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Whenever I have a problem involving computers, I go to 'help and support' or google.ca to find an answer to my problems. Most of the time, I am very specific.

For example, I want my windows vista home premium notebook to connect to my windows xp professional desktop using Remote Desktop. I want to add my username of the notebook into "Select Users" under 'control panel' --> 'system' --> 'remote' --> 'add', but even if both computers are connected to the same router, I do not see my laptop in the 'locations' window. I tried to connect my router to this computer using remote desktop, but when I try to open 'WORKGROUP' (both computers are in this workgroup), I get the error (something like) "this workgroup does not have a terminal server". I went to 'help and support' in both computers and typed in "install a terminal server in a workgroup", but I didn't get exactly the answer I want. I went to google and typed "how to connect a windows vista home premium computer to a windows xp professional computer using remote desktop", but the search engine didn't give me exactly the answer I want. I typed in "install a terminal server in a workgroup", but it didn't give me the correct answer.

Soon, I have learned that in search engines, "the more specific you are, the less likely the search engine will give you the webpage that has your answer". I can't accept this...FACT...as it is. Search engines MUST understand this much specif. :mad:

I go to an online forum that has a specific topic (for example, this forum is about Ubuntu). I search for my answers in all levels of specif, but if i couldn't find my answer, I have to post it. Unfortunately, most message boards, especially the ones with support, require people to register for an account, just to be able to make posts or start threads. I don't wanna register - I just want my answer! That's all!

I think the fact that guests are not allowed to post nor make threads in forums with support is ridiculous, because the guests may just want an answer to their problems and never come back again unless they have another problem, and registration is just a waste of time for these people. Being able to post as a guest is much easier on people who just want answers to their questions.

So tell me, why are people supposed to register for an account, just so that they can make a thread or be able to post? I understand that some guest posters may be spammers, advertisers, hackers, spyware, etc., but moderators and administrators should be able to IP ban those bad things. Mods and admins should also IP ban guest posters who keep on breaking the rules of the forum. Thanks.

Jim!
August 15th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Forums get spammed and trolled constantly, imagine what would happen if the amount of trolls on this forum increased by 1000...

Animeniac
August 15th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Forums get spammed and trolled constantly, imagine what would happen if the amount of trolls on this forum increased by 1000...

I didn't know what you mean by "troll", until I went to Wikipedia:

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]

If the amount of trolls in this forum increased by 1000, then only few people will actually get the answers to their questions. Ubuntu just wouldn't be "Linux for human beings", if you know what I mean.

Now I understand. Still, moderators and administrators can IP ban trolls, even if guests are allowed to post and make threads, right?

lisati
August 16th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Now I understand. Still, moderators and administrators can IP ban trolls, even if guests are allowed to post and make threads, right?

I think there's more to it than just basing it on IP - restarting my ADSL modem/router usually results in my being assigned a new IP by my ISP. An extremely paranoid approach would be to ban ALL people who use a particular ISP, which, in my opinion, would be unfair to the honest people who aren't out to cause trouble.

LaRoza
August 16th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I don't wanna register - I just want my answer! That's all!

If you want interactive help, you must have an identity on this forum.

I think the fact that guests are not allowed to post nor make threads in forums with support is ridiculous, because the guests may just want an answer to their problems and never come back again unless they have another problem, and registration is just a waste of time for these people. Being able to post as a guest is much easier on people who just want answers to their questions.

No, not on this forum. Guests can read most of the forum, and that is enough.

So tell me, why are people supposed to register for an account, just so that they can make a thread or be able to post? I understand that some guest posters may be spammers, advertisers, hackers, spyware, etc.,

some? We get many spammers daily. Having acountless posts is not an option. End of discussion.

but moderators and administrators should be able to IP ban those bad things. Mods and admins should also IP ban guest posters who keep on breaking the rules of the forum. Thanks.
No, that is very simple and unrealistic. An IP ban can ban a single person, or most of a nation. An IP ban didn't stop the PM spammer we had recently and we had to impose a post count restriction on who can PM.

Mods can't ban IP's. We can only ban accounts. Banning IP's doesn't work and is easy to get around. Now, we can only ban accounts, which brings us back to why we have accounts.