PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is the .iso file?

_Horus_
August 15th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Total noob question I'm sure but I've downloaded the server version of Ubuntu and I want to verify the md5sum and burn the image to CD however I can't find the .iso file.

Anyone know which folder it is in or if it comes up as something else?

Too Late
August 15th, 2008, 10:43 PM
The .iso file is like any other file. It's really impossible to say where it is, as we don't even know your operating system or browser. Try use some kind of find or search function, or download another file and check if browser tells you where the files will be stored.

_Horus_
August 15th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I downloaded it to a specific folder. The downloaded file was a .rar file. I opened that and then extracted it to another location. Within that location I did a search for *.iso and found nothing. I'm using XP.

Strange that I couldn't find anything:confused:

Too Late
August 15th, 2008, 10:52 PM
From where did you download that .rar file? I think Ubuntu is never distributed as a .rar file! You've possibly downloaded something else, maybe harmful. :(

jerome1232
August 15th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Where did you download it from? Download it from here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download it will be a straight iso file that you download.

iso's don't compress well anyways (if anything they might bloat) so it's pointless to rar it up.

wilbbe01
August 15th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Or maybe the iso file is still sitting next to the rar file and you just thought the rar file was ubuntu.

_Horus_
August 15th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Okay I just saw now that my .rar file is the .iso file. As in my rar has somehow associated itself with the .iso file coz I have the rar icon and then the file name ubuntu-8.04.1-server-i386.iso.

It's getting late and I think my brain has shutdown.

Anywayz, I've done the checksum and it's all good.

Thanks for your help guys!!