PDA

View Full Version : lost the point?

elmuppito69
August 15th, 2008, 10:15 PM
i have read many posts saying "compiz...blender..."along with many other gui problems.
I always thought linux(Unix) stood for....hmmmm....not conforming to the comercial hype.
i know ubuntu is free, and i use it as my only o/s, but why does it always have to be a competition with m/s windows.
I read Windows has AERO....and we had that since so and so..., but why?:confused: linux is about the power of the pc/laptop in-front of you,not the s*!te you can see on the screen.I use my laptop for making a game of sorts (and playing some).I only like Gui because it can visualize what i draw/model on the screen.hmmmm, think im losing the point too.
right.... if you want to play games.........Buy a console
if you want to do something.......Buy a PC wt linux
if you think you need something...Buy a PC wt Windows
Why is everything turning into EyeCandy?
Bring back Unix and M/s Dos(Yes, the only thing m/s got right)
Thanks for reading if you got this far..... im just reminicing about the old days....Black screen, green txt.:lolflag:oh well, if someone replys.....Cheers, shall speak to you soon.

wilbbe01
August 15th, 2008, 10:19 PM
All OS's have their pros and cons, it's just people try and act cool by arguing one is better than the other. I guess it could be comparable to a cars. Some people wouldn't drive anything, but an SUV, some wouldn't drive anything but a Hybrid. Does the difference and strong opinions of those people towards one or the other really make one better? They both have their benefits as well. Windows is good for what it is good at, linux is good for what it is good at, OS X is good for what it is good at, I don't see why everyone has to try and show their competence by claiming one to be better. I guess I used to, but now that I realized I was just stupid back in the day.....they all have their benefits. Cheers to you too.

elmuppito69
August 15th, 2008, 10:38 PM
ok,i've just deleted a massive reply, because...
Computers are for work, thats how i feel,and yes, i am a hypocrite, because i am making a game for windows/linux, the reason why is not nessacery.i always thought Unix(linux) was for that one reason, not to try and emulate windows, most distros(ca.400) are all trying to be windows or best it.Why?
Also, Wow that was a Quick reply.Cheers.

Bachstelze
August 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Well, Linux is not really about this or that, it's meant to be suitable for pretty much any purpose. So if someone want tu use in the same way they use Windows, well, why not? That doesn't stop you for using it like in the old days if you want.

happysmileman
August 15th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Compiz is completely optional (maybe it's on by default in Ubuntu, I wouldn't know since I use Kubuntu, if you don't like it you can turn it off completely, or disable any effects that you don't like).

Blender is a 3D modelling program, not entirely sure what you meant by including that, I assume you misunderstood it's purpose? It can be used for very serious work, including creating 3D graphics for games and films.

If you feel that your computer is for work only and don't like when graphics get in the way, you can go through the options and disable whatever you don't like. If GNOME itself is too much you can use XFCE as a desktop environment, or just use a Window Manager on it's own like Fluxbox.

If that's too much for you, just do a minimal install of Linux and use the command line (of course in most cases you will need GUI for some things, which is why Fluxbox is good, very minimal, light on resources, doesn't get in the way, but allows for graphical programs and multiple windows)

Linux is not trying to be like Windows or compete with it. Compiz was around long before Vista was released with Aero.

elmuppito69
August 15th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Tiz fair play, i do use it like the old days,or as best as.it just seems that all the extra bells and whistles seem to make everything unstable, for example compiz, it works fine until i want to do something.i am a firm beliver linux was suppost to be Stable, not like windows....all the extra stuff seems to be turning it into windows(i can make terminal crash (f.f.s))
(i do remember when Unix worked on a whim and a prayer)tiz just a shame thats all.:(

miggols99
August 15th, 2008, 11:00 PM
The reason for eye candy on the desktop is because many people are going to be using it a lot and they'd rather look at something nice than a black and white (or grey) terminal. Obviously it's good for some things, but not everything. For example web browsing with a text browser...

t0p
August 15th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Most (all?) Linux developers want the "market share" of Linux to increase. And this necessarily means that Linux must compete with *******. So Compiz is there to please those users who would otherwise miss the Vista-like eye-candy. As for "true" Linux being just the CLI: do you think Linux would have as many users if the command line was the only user interface?

Plus, of course, developers develop stuff like Compiz because they can. Computers have become immensely powerful, and are capable of doing so much nowadays. And the developers want to use those capabilities; in fact they want to push the boundaries, to see what their creation truly is capable of.

So, the creators of Compiz haven't "lost the point" - they've just moved it.

swoll1980
August 15th, 2008, 11:53 PM
All OS's have their pros and cons, it's just people try and act cool by arguing one is better than the other. I guess it could be comparable to a cars. Some people wouldn't drive anything, but an SUV, some wouldn't drive anything but a Hybrid. Does the difference and strong opinions of those people towards one or the other really make one better? They both have their benefits as well. Windows is good for what it is good at, linux is good for what it is good at, OS X is good for what it is good at, I don't see why everyone has to try and show their competence by claiming one to be better. I guess I used to, but now that I realized I was just stupid back in the day.....they all have their benefits. Cheers to you too.

When did arguing about computer software become cool?

Ozor Mox
August 16th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Tiz fair play, i do use it like the old days,or as best as.it just seems that all the extra bells and whistles seem to make everything unstable, for example compiz, it works fine until i want to do something.i am a firm beliver linux was suppost to be Stable, not like windows....all the extra stuff seems to be turning it into windows(i can make terminal crash (f.f.s))
(i do remember when Unix worked on a whim and a prayer)tiz just a shame thats all.:(

That's the great thing about Linux and free software in general though, it can be whatever you want it to be. Ubuntu's aim is to try to take on the desktop market by providing a solid alternative to Windows that provides everything a user needs, as well as having a nice looking interface (which includes fancy Compiz stuff), but still remaining highly customisable for advanced users.

Surely if you did a Debian net install, you would have the experience you are after? In other words, rock solid and completely devoid of marketing and special effects! :)

boblemur
August 16th, 2008, 02:26 AM
The eye candy is fine... because you chose if you want it or not...

Linux to me is about the power underneath, but its so flexable, thats what ubuntu is for, you can make ur opperating system anything you want...

u can make it a massive ball of eye candy with flashing lights and gloss when ever you do anything

or you can make it lean, light and quick, no waiting while ur windows catch on fire or anything like that.

the ubuntu is not a fight against windows, ubuntu is driven by the feedback it gets. however there are very few things they force upon you without a choice of removal.

if you want cli interface then install it, but if you want a lightweight gui try: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

loell
August 16th, 2008, 02:27 AM
i if you want to play games.........Buy a console
if you want to do something.......Buy a PC wt linux
if you think you need something...Buy a PC wt Windows
Buy! Buy! Buy! is sooo compatible with Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! .... :D

and yes, Old people miss the Old days where everything runs fast. :lolflag: