PDA

View Full Version : basic web developement?

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM
so ive learned javascript and (x)html and i want to make a simple easy website just for fun (its the end of the summer and im bored :))...is there some simple type of website that all beginers make or something? any advice?

Reiger
August 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
You want a simple & easy website? Well you could go for the classic "Hello World", but with that there isn't much of an opportunity to show off your JavaScript skills, is there? :)

Kadrus
August 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM
.is there some simple type of website that all beginers make or something
Not really.If you are good enough with JavaScript,you can create games with it.
Learn web programming,Perl + CGI,Python + CGI,(with databases).etc,and use what you learn to make a website,you can create a forum software,shopping site,e-commerece,etc.

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM
You want a simple & easy website? Well you could go for the classic "Hello World", but with that there isn't much of an opportunity to show off your JavaScript skills, is there? :)

did that the second i learned how to print text with javascript :)

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Not really.If you are good enough with JavaScript,you can create games with it.
Learn web programming,Perl + CGI,Python + CGI,(with databases).etc,and use what you learn to make a website,you can create a forum software,shopping site,e-commerece,etc.

isn't there something simpler? Besides i dont think starting with a shopping site is the best idea...im trying to build up to make a forum with a twist (my get rich quick scheme)...

-grubby
August 15th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Did you learn CSS (http://www.w3schools.com/css/) yet? That's crucial too. Most (some) sites use PHP, but you don't have to. You can easily use Python CGI (if your post supports it)

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM
well when i first looked at html i looked at some css (cascading style sheets right?) and thought that after i got a base site down i would look at css to make it look better (i had no idea i would need javascript and php too...i programed in xhtml anyway since i basically used the conventions it uses)

Kadrus
August 15th, 2008, 09:19 PM
isn't there something simpler? Besides i dont think starting with a shopping site is the best idea...im trying to build up to make a forum with a twist (my get rich quick scheme)...
Hack an open source forum software,there are plenty!

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 09:28 PM
uhh websites are all opensource except for things like java apps in them? i mean a simpilar website then a forum

Kadrus
August 15th, 2008, 09:29 PM
The HTML,CSS,JS,in a website is open source,the server side scripting isn't.

i mean a simpilar website then a forum
A simple blog?:p
edit:
i really don't know your skills,only you can find out what you want to do to be honest.

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM
meh might work...im not good with this whole "thinking" concept...if you get any more suggestions please post (its hard to think up new stuff now that the web is so big)