PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Kernel added in Menu.ls - Help Needed!

kpk
August 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hi,
[Me=New2Ubuntu]:confused:
I have a dualboot and I noticed that until today my Boot Menu had the following items:

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic
title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic (recovery mode)
title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
title Other operating systems:
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional

But earlier this morning, I ran an update process which crashed due to an abrupt system restart. However, since I had trouble logging in using the default session, I switched over to the GNOME session (not sure about the name though) and when I restarted the system I was able to see additional items being added to the Boot Menu (as shown below):

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic
title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic (recovery mode)
title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
title Other operating systems:
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Could someone throw some light on this? Is this normal? Should I edit the Menu.ls file and delete the additional items or is it better if it is left as is? Also, I did not understand the concept of logging in using a different session that is available in the login page. Apologies if my questions sound weird!

Stemp
August 15th, 2008, 07:37 PM
It's nothing menu.lst show all the available kernels. Just in case version -15 doesn't work you still can switch back to version -14.
These entries are automatically added when a new kernel is installed.

kpk
August 16th, 2008, 06:58 AM
It's nothing menu.lst show all the available kernels. Just in case version -15 doesn't work you still can switch back to version -14.
These entries are automatically added when a new kernel is installed.

Thanks Stemp!
Will it cause a problem if I remove version-14 from Menu.lst?

cdtech
August 16th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Removing a kernel version from the menu.lst will not harm your system, as long as you can boot from the latest kernel. Your kernel images are not removed from your system by modifying the menu.lst.

If you want to permanently remove a kernel images (to save space within your /boot partition), it's recommended to remove using the Synaptic Package Manager.

Hope this helps......

grndrush
August 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Er, you DO notice, right, that -14 replaced -15, and NOT the other wat around (at least per yours screens). I'd be darned slow removing the last kernel added to GRUB!

Did you do an upgrade which involved a new kernel, or perhaps one involving a dependency change (shudders) necessitating a new kernel flavor?

kpk
August 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Removing a kernel version from the menu.lst will not harm your system, as long as you can boot from the latest kernel. Your kernel images are not removed from your system by modifying the menu.lst.

If you want to permanently remove a kernel images (to save space within your /boot partition), it's recommended to remove using the Synaptic Package Manager.

Hope this helps......

Sure... :)
Thanks a bunch!

kpk
August 18th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Er, you DO notice, right, that -14 replaced -15, and NOT the other wat around (at least per yours screens). I'd be darned slow removing the last kernel added to GRUB!

Did you do an upgrade which involved a new kernel, or perhaps one involving a dependency change (shudders) necessitating a new kernel flavor?

I think it was created when I was trying to upgrade/update... but I am still confused.. I mean I just upgraded to Hardy and I got a third kernel added to the already existing list of 2!:confused:

Hope I dont mess around and add another one to that list :(

Stemp
August 20th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I think it was created when I was trying to upgrade/update... but I am still confused.. I mean I just upgraded to Hardy and I got a third kernel added to the already existing list of 2!:confused:

Hope I dont mess around and add another one to that list :(

Don't worry, when you upgrade softwares only the last version is kept.
But for the kernels it's different, your 2.6.22-15 kernel could be updated (for security reasons) but the new version (2.6.22-16 or 2.6.24-1) will not delete 2.6.22-15.