PDA

View Full Version : FULL Tutorials on Programming

indecisive
August 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hello, Everyone!

I was thinking about starting a series of threads that provide tutorials on various languages. Everyone would be able to give input, and I would like to start if there is a general consensus that this would be useful.

Thanks!

pmasiar
August 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Did you read sticky FAQ? We link to best such tutorials found in 'net. of course you are free to add more anytime, but first check existing ones.

In general, there are plenty of excellent tutorials (IMHO) and problem is that beginners cannot distinguish them from the lousy ones, so adding more tutorials makes that task harder - but again, you are free to try. :-)

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 05:12 PM
well yes but people will be able to find more good tutorials and could post them

like here (http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/) is a good one for html...i know html is obsolete to xhtml but i found if you learn html you can learn xhtml in about 3 minutes and it goes under the radar to things like the w3c site but i find this guy explains everything very clearly

shankhs
August 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I am not a very good programmer but I know one thing that there are thousands of tutorials of every programming language.
If you want to help then create a post of mistakes that you made while programming and what it lead to,what you learned from it.

nvteighen
August 15th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I am not a very good programmer but I know one thing that there are thousands of tutorials of every programming language.
If you want to help then create a post of mistakes that you made while programming and what it lead to,what you learned from it.
Hey, that's a great idea!

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 06:27 PM
should be a sticky tho

indecisive
August 15th, 2008, 06:29 PM
How about a thread containing links for good tutorials on various languages?

cmay
August 15th, 2008, 06:32 PM
there is in the sticky tread. however i think
that the idea of having tutorials written by members are good.

am not a very good programmer but I know one thing that there are thousands of tutorials of every programming language.
also if its tutorials on what not to do.:)

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 06:37 PM
i vote for both the links to tutorials and errors and solutions

Kadrus
August 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Sticky links to many thread.If I am not mistaken Wybiral started a thread on how to learn programming,users provide links to tutorials..the link to the thread is in the sticky..so i suggest checking it out,and adding your links in that thread.

slavik
August 15th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I would say, do what pmasiar said (read other tutorials), but if you do find them outdated or bad wording or anything of the sort, feel free to write your own.

pmasiar
August 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM

We already have - did you checked sticky?

/mode=old+grumpy

You youngsters do not believe that almost every good idea is already taken. People had exactly same problems years before you were born - and have solutions for them too. It is called FAQ because it is being asked 3 times a week - but for every newbie is is like inventing universe.

/mode=normal

Really. Just check FAQ and contribute to it if you have something meaningful. Or get a free wiki: wikidot is my current favorite.

Don't get discouraged (some of your ideas might be new - even if chances are slim), but do check FAQ. :-)

Kadrus
August 15th, 2008, 10:56 PM
All we do is say read the sticky:p.never gonna happen i guess.

Lster
August 15th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Most of the time Google finds me a good tutorial for whatever I want but there are times when I've been unable to get the information I need easily. Each time I think, and mean, to make a tutorial for others but just never get round to it.

The last topic I can remember thinking this about was AKS primality testing. I might post that soon...

indecisive
August 16th, 2008, 03:44 AM
We already have - did you checked sticky?

/mode=old+grumpy

You youngsters do not believe that almost every good idea is already taken. People had exactly same problems years before you were born - and have solutions for them too. It is called FAQ because it is being asked 3 times a week - but for every newbie is is like inventing universe.

/mode=normal

Really. Just check FAQ and contribute to it if you have something meaningful. Or get a free wiki: wikidot is my current favorite.

Don't get discouraged (some of your ideas might be new - even if chances are slim), but do check FAQ. :-)
Thank you. Leading is a talent, whereas following is skill that must be developed before someone can become helpful. I apologize for repeating the FAQ, which I did find very helpful.

nvteighen
August 16th, 2008, 11:30 AM
All we do is say read the sticky:p.never gonna happen i guess.

I asked my friend John on this matter and he told me:
"All we're saying is give the Sticky a chance".

:)

samjh
August 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM
One of the problems with the sticky is that it is one sticky with a MASSIVE conglomeration of links to other threads, which again link to other threads with other links... etc. etc. etc.

It doesn't make for efficient finding of information, especially if the expectation is for it to be used as a FAQ resource.

I can understand the rationale behind having such one giant sticky. But it is not effective.

That is not to say that several separate stickies WILL work better. However, having several stickies with obvious titles like: "How to use command-line compilers", "Tutorials for programming languages", etc. is much more accommodating than "Please READ THIS before posting (We mean it)".

Also, we should be mindful of the fact that when we have as many new users (or new programmers) popping into these forums, there will always be some who will ask a question regardless of whether it has already been answered in a sticky. Come on folks, most of us are old enough to have managed people (or am I assuming too much?) - there is always a portion of a group who don't read or follow instructions properly.

========================

Back on topic:

I'd say only create a tutorial if a thorough <insert search engine here> search cannot find one equal to, or better than, what you have in mind.

There are some topics obscure enough that most tutorials on the web are either obsolete, too sparse, too complex, or otherwise inadequate. PyGTK/Glade, for example. If anyone here is knowledgeable enough to post tutorials on such things, I'd say go ahead! :)

Shin_Gouki2501
August 16th, 2008, 12:41 PM
There exist various information on programming on thte net. Problem is most people can even express their problem because they don't know what the problem is.

You may soleve a Problem in 100 Ways using 100 programming languages.

IMO Tutorials should not work its more that collection of "best practices" of how to do a certain thing IN a certain language. Like:
File IO in Python. GUI Apps with Java. Scripts with Ruby.
This would help MOST questions here significantly more imo.

pmasiar
August 16th, 2008, 07:13 PM
One of the problems with the sticky is that it is one sticky with a MASSIVE conglomeration of links to other threads, which again link to other threads with other links... etc. etc. etc.

I agree - but that is the way we organize information on Internet, right?

Problem is not that is has multiple layers of links: problem is that layers are not intuitive enough - and they are not intuitive because they can be edited by single person who is too busy to do it. This is obvious restriction of the forum format (as compared to wiki): posts are focused on expressing personal opinions (and differences), not on reaching consensus.

That's why we had multiple discussions about how to do it better ... and nothing happened. The way how forums work are not helpful to reach consensus about how certain information should be presented.

It doesn't make for efficient finding of information, especially if the expectation is for it to be used as a FAQ resource.

... so people do not read them - so we don't expect them to read them - so they don't feel bad about not reading them... positive feedback loop about ignoring FAQ.

However, having several stickies with obvious titles like: "How to use command-line compilers", "Tutorials for programming languages", etc. is much more accommodating than "Please READ THIS before posting (We mean it)".

Yes. Nielsen (at useit.com) calls it 'information smell' - if link does not smell like having relevant info, I'll skip it. Life is short and Internet is big.