PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems on fresh install of Ubuntu on an Intel STL2 motherboard

stalag
August 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Dear People,

I have tried to RTFM on the installation of Ubuntu 8.04.1 and am having so many difficulties that it is not funny. Currently on the motherboard is installed 1GB of ram and 2 processors. Installed also on the machine are 1 CD rom drive and 1 Plextor DVD drive. The installation errors out before I can even get to the drives to partion the drives. Does anyone know how to get the system to boot. By the way I have been able to get the latest KNOPPIX DVD to boot on this system so I know that it will run linux fine. Could use some pointers.

By the way I have tried already noapic and nolapic as boot parameters.

](*,)

Partyboi2
August 16th, 2008, 03:45 AM
what are the error message you are getting? When you downloaded it did you check the md5sum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) and burn't the iso at x4 or less speed?

stalag
August 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM
what are the error message you are getting? When you downloaded it did you check the md5sum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) and burn't the iso at x4 or less speed?

Since these are CD's form Cannonical that give the same problems as the downloaded CD's, I do not think that the MD5 sums are the problem here. :( The errors are varied based on the boot and are not consistent with regards to the CD's supplied by Cannonical. I have had the install CD drop to an system prompt. I have gotten as far one time unpacking the CD's when the CD drive suddenly stopped reading the CD during the initial install. Since the errors are random I am wondering what the issue is. I have however been able to install Debian 4.0 etch from a home burnt CD. This install went flawlessly and I played with it a little. So I think the problems are with the installer with this particular motherboard. From what I RTFM'ed, I think this is sad because the info on Ubuntu's website says that this Debian environment would meet my needs better than the Debian etch version. :(