PDA

View Full Version : Do u want a new theme for Intrepid or is the current theme better?

sharks
August 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
They have changed the theme but Do u want a new theme for Intrepid or is the current theme better?
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-8-10-Alpha-4-Screenshot-Tour-91907.shtml

SunnyRabbiera
August 15th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Well I certainly do like that colortheme better, no ugly browns.

TheSlipstream
August 15th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Honestly, Canonical's unwillingness to either make a theme themselves or accept a community theme ensures the crappy (heh, it's funny because it's literal) theme will never leave. Seriously, there are hundreds of better themes on Gnome-Look alone. How hard can it be to make a halfway decent theme when you have an entire art team, many of which can do such things?

starcannon
August 15th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Since I have not yet lifted a finger to help create a new theme, and since after the "new" wheres off of a release (usually in about 10minutes) and I go to gnome-look and grab something shiny. I will vote for "no preference", put in a new theme and I'll enjoy it for a moment, don't and I won't notice, I'll pop emerald on and reskin it and put up my own wallpaper anyway.

ooobuntooo
August 15th, 2008, 02:01 PM
This theme is awsome!

http://willwill100.deviantart.com/art/Interpid-Ibex-Mockup-Part-2-93584910

Lod
August 15th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Honestly, Canonical's unwillingness to either make a theme themselves or accept a community theme ensures the crappy (heh, it's funny because it's literal) theme will never leave. Seriously, there are hundreds of better themes on Gnome-Look alone. How hard can it be to make a halfway decent theme when you have an entire art team, many of which can do such things?Because there is no theme that will be acceptable by everyone. And there is no such thing as 'community theme'. All those mock ups based on something called willwill (not sure what that is) were in my opinion just plain ugly. I rather like the current theme of 8.04 and so I like the theme shown in the link of the OP.

TheSlipstream
August 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Because there is no theme that will be acceptable by everyone. And there is no such thing as 'community theme'. All those mock ups based on something called willwill (not sure what that is) were in my opinion just plain ugly. I rather like the current theme of 8.04 and so I like the theme shown in the link of the OP.

So let's all go to the one that's selected by no one, oh, except a few people. I'm glad you like it. That's very nice. Hopefully the home users out there will be all "Wow! This is so much better looking then Vista, and is so much more sleek! except they won't be. It's childish to think they will, because Human is butt-ugly, and only a minority like it. No, I don't mean WillWill. WillWill is a mockup, and as someone who has been doing graphics for a while, I know mockups mean jack. It would take me half an hour to make a flashy, but impossibly to implement UI. But with so many fine themes floating around - ones you can actually use, why have Human? We can't please everyone, but the numbers of people who are not pleased are disturbing.

You say you want to match OSX for looks, Mark? Well why don't you take some action and do it. OSX wasn't made from hopes.

Lod
August 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM
So let's all go to the one that's selected by no one, oh, except a few people

We can't please everyone, but the numbers of people who are not pleased are disturbing.Can you proof this to be correct?
Yes, there al lot of posts complaining about it but that is hardly any proof. Because one will sooner open a topic to complain than open topics to give praise.
So what is the opinion of the silent mass? You can't tell because they keep silent. So to be honest I couldn't say if most of the users like the theme or not.

dnns123
August 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM
The answer is easy, give them a repo which gives them more themes... Linux is about choice, right?
Personally, I hate the current selection of the themes e.g. Crux, Glider, Clearlooks.
They look like they're from the 90's

zmjjmz
August 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Regardless of whether or not you use the default theme, it will still matter.
Because, regardless of reason or logic, the blogosphere and the press will likely judge Ubuntu's looks on the default theme.

tuxxy
August 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I would most likely change the new theme provided if there was one anyway but still wouldnt mind one :lolflag:

billgoldberg
August 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Honestly, Canonical's unwillingness to either make a theme themselves or accept a community theme ensures the crappy (heh, it's funny because it's literal) theme will never leave. Seriously, there are hundreds of better themes on Gnome-Look alone. How hard can it be to make a halfway decent theme when you have an entire art team, many of which can do such things?

Exactly what I am thinking.

There are amateurs on gnome-look that make great themes by them self.

How hard can it be for a professional team?

billgoldberg
August 15th, 2008, 03:08 PM
This theme is awsome!

That's not a theme.

Just a mockup.

A theme I like very much and am currently using is this one;

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ClearlooksTriomphe?content=84012

Simple clearlooks theme with some different colours. Looks 20 times better than the default look.

TheSlipstream
August 16th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Can you proof this to be correct?
Yes, there al lot of posts complaining about it but that is hardly any proof. Because one will sooner open a topic to complain than open topics to give praise.
So what is the opinion of the silent mass? You can't tell because they keep silent. So to be honest I couldn't say if most of the users like the theme or not.

Then where are the angry, anti-Fedora theme posts? Or the angry anti-OpenSuSE theme posts, or the posts for pretty much any distro that bashes the theme? It's clear that only Ubuntu manages this widespread theme hate, so I think it's pretty obvious that we need to improve. I mean, c'mon, we're practically a commercial distro, how do you lure people over when it looks like this?

myusername
August 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM
if you would have read the release note you would know that they made that theme default by accident

chris4585
August 16th, 2008, 10:02 AM
if you would have read the release note you would know that they made that theme default by accident

That explains everything!

perlluver
August 16th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Sorry I prefer the mockup, to that all to familiar Ubuntu 8.04 theme. Been there, seen it, got the background and theme to prove it. But yeah I would like to see a new theme now.

starcannon
August 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I thought the 8.04 theme was the best so far as the default themes go. But like I said, a default theme lasts about 10 minutes. I don't want my computer to look like every liveCD out there, I like to give it my own bit of style.

I seriously doubt I do anything original, indeed all I really do is mix and match the incredible amounts of creativity I find prepackaged for me at gnome-look.

johel
August 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM
my idea for intrepid ibex:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Human+Aurora+(my+idea+for+intrepid+ibex)?content=8 7265

its all about detais ;)

Exsecrabilus
August 16th, 2008, 03:14 PM
This theme is awsome!

I would be a happy man if I didn't have to read at least 10 posts every single day about how that "mock-up" should be the default "theme" for Ubuntu. :(

my idea for intrepid ibex:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Human+Aurora+(my+idea+for+intrepid+ibex)?content=8 7265

its all about detais ;)
Aurora engine? Hell no, you know how slow that and filled with bugs that is?

SunnyRabbiera
August 16th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Peronally I dont see why we just cant make a murrine theme a standard.
Murrine-human already looks better then the default human theme.
Out of all of them the murrine engine is the most flexible so why not play around with it?
That way we have something more modern then clearlooks and something nicer looking then the ugly brown theme proposals we have seen.