PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Can't get Ubuntu to work properly

kjb34
August 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Okay about a month my motherboard crashed on me. I sent it back to get it replced and the replacement motherboard is DOA so I send it back. Finally Tuesday I get another replcement mobo. After getting everything situated I boot the computer and it starts to load ubuntu 7.10 and it stops. So I try it again same thing. So I used my alt install disk and do a fresh install. It worked last night with no problem. I turn on the computer this morning it starts to boot then it gets stuck. Right now I'm thinking that I might have do another fresh install but totally wipe the HD. Are there any of things I might be able to do?

wpshooter
August 15th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Your plan sounds good to me. Use www.killdisk.com to WIPE that drive.

Good luck.

kjb34
August 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Okay I appreciate that. I'm hoping that will work.

MonctonJohn
August 15th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Run some tests if all else fails. If there were hardware issues then test the hardware. Run memtest which comes on the Ubuntu CD. Also run a disk test just in case. Maybe reseat the RAM and video card as well.

kjb34
August 15th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Ok i can try that too.

kjb34
August 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I got Ubuntu to boot boot but now it won't recognize my modem so I can't access the internet at home. I'll probably will try yo download 8.04 from my mom's house and do another fresh install.

oldsoundguy
August 19th, 2008, 07:10 PM
there is also a chance that some of the stuff that you had on the old motherboard got damaged when the board went. Especially if the power rail capacitors were the items that went.

Run a test of your memory chips (you can use the Windows MemTest if need be as that is self booting) or you can use the memory test on the Ubuntu disk, but that will take a LOT longer.

I spent a few bucks and got a universal slot boot test card (from eBay). It reads out everything that loads and if something is amiss, it lets me know.

Paid for itself the first time I used it as it SPOTTED bad rail capacitors before they blew and ate anything else!

kjb34
August 21st, 2008, 04:54 AM
Well I have tried Linux Mint 5 and Ubuntu 8.04. I am able to access the internet with both but now I'm not sure which one to install. I may install both.