PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Install

Zorinea
August 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu over my Windows 98 PC however, I'm having some problems. When I put the CD in and restart, I get prompted to select a lanuguage. Then I select install. The Ubuntu logo comes up and an orange bar goes left to right ect.

After a while, this goes away and is replaced by a black screen. If I hit the keyboard, a small white line flashes at the top of the screen for a bit.

Does anyone know what the problem might be and how I could fix it?

lisati
August 15th, 2008, 09:48 AM
What are your computer specs, e.g. ram, processor, HD capacity?

Zorinea
August 15th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I really have no idea about that. It is 10 years old now.

wpshooter
August 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I really have no idea about that. It is 10 years old now.

It is very important that you know the specs. of your computer (especially the amount of memory/RAM). If you computer specs. do not meet certain minimum requirements, then you will just be wasting your time trying to install Ubuntu. Go to the Ubuntu website to see what the minimum requirements are for the various flavors of Ubuntu - please note that various versions have differing minimum requirements.

snowpine
August 15th, 2008, 02:53 PM
It is very important that you know the specs. of your computer (especially the amount of memory/RAM). If you computer specs. do not meet certain minimum requirements, then you will just be wasting your time trying to install Ubuntu. Go to the Ubuntu website to see what the minimum requirements are for the various flavors of Ubuntu - please note that various versions have differing minimum requirements.

Very good advice! :)
To save the OP some research time, the only "flavor" of Ubuntu I would (personally) recommend if you have 256mb of RAM (which is pretty standard on computers of that era) is called Xubuntu.

If you have less RAM than that, there are other options, however, I can't make a specific recommendation unless I know your system specs. :)

Zorinea
August 15th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Well, I have many spare computers hanging around but I wanted to try it on the oldest first.

Also, I have found my problem.

I cannot install it on the PC, built in 1998 as the cutoff point is 2000.

snowpine
August 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Well, I have many spare computers hanging around but I wanted to try it on the oldest first.

Also, I have found my problem.

I cannot install it on the PC, built in 1998 as the cutoff point is 2000.

Don't give up--lots of people are running some flavor of Linux on pre-2000 computers! (Not necessarily Ubuntu, but there are other good options.) However, you are going to have to make a little bit of effort to find the specs of your computer if you want good advice. You haven't even told us the brand name. :)

Zorinea
August 15th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Well, I have successfully installed Ubuntu on an old XP :)

As I said before I don't have a clue about the Windows 98 PC. All I know is that on the front it says PAL and Energy as brand names on the front.