PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] how to change xubuntu to ubuntu ?

charleshdw
August 15th, 2008, 05:55 AM
how to change the xubuntu 6.06 to ubuntu 7.10?
thanks for your help.

meindian523
August 15th, 2008, 06:35 AM
More details please.Why not 8.04?

MaxIBoy
August 15th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Assuming you wanted to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 instead of 7.10, type

sudo dist-upgrade
into the console. The download should take a while. Then find GNOME in the Synaptic Package Manager and install that.

The boot screen will still say "Xubuntu," but the only difference between Xubuntu and Ubuntu is that Xubuntu uses Xfce and Ubuntu uses GNOME.

meindian523
August 15th, 2008, 06:41 AM
MaxIBoy:
I believe you meant to install ubuntu-desktop?OP will still have Xubuntu,only with the ability to choose between Xfce/GNOME at login.I believe OP wants to switch to Ubuntu completely.

SkonesMickLoud
August 15th, 2008, 06:51 AM
MaxIBoy:
I believe you meant to install ubuntu-desktop?OP will still have Xubuntu,only with the ability to choose between Xfce/GNOME at login.I believe OP wants to switch to Ubuntu completely.

It's better to upgrade in an Xfce only environ, as GNOME is much larger, and installing gnome before upgrading will take much much longer.

A clean install is a much faster option.

meindian523
August 15th, 2008, 06:55 AM
It's better to upgrade in an Xfce only environ, as GNOME is much larger, and installing gnome before upgrading will take much much longer.

A clean install is a much faster option.
Exactly what I was going to recommend.And I meant installing ubuntu-desktop AFTER dist-upgrade,not before.