PDA

View Full Version : What will Ubuntu be like for release 14.10?

RATM_Owns
August 15th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Wow. 14.10. That's a while.
A little over 6 years.

But speculate, what will Ubuntu have/be like in 6 years?

Kadrus
August 15th, 2008, 01:34 AM
You're thinking too far ahead ;)
More packages,more stables,a better look,faster,more secure,more friendly.
6 * better than now i'd say.
An improved Ubuntu..every year it improves..so shouldnt differ..i don't expect it to change much,interface wise.

nick09
August 15th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Its so far away from release that I wont even guess what it will be like.

Giant Speck
August 15th, 2008, 02:05 AM
It'll be ready for the desktop. :p

benny bronx
August 15th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Maybe it will have Shockwave for Linux Alpha.

tamoneya
August 15th, 2008, 02:07 AM
bug report #1 will finally have its fix released.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

zmjjmz
August 15th, 2008, 03:43 AM
It will be assimilated into the borg.

Lord Xeb
August 15th, 2008, 03:49 AM
It will become more awesome and be running on everything while microsoft is put their thumbs in their asses to pull out new ideas. >_>

brunovecchi
August 15th, 2008, 04:02 AM
It will read your mind.

But still won't be able to come up with a good looking theme.

(just kidding).

pt123
August 15th, 2008, 04:10 AM
The the default theme will still be like Gutsy. All ideas from the "community" for the default look will be ignored.

Lord Xeb
August 15th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Opensource will be everwhere and M$ will be out of business or Bill will become a spokes person of linux when he is like 90 >_>

the yawner
August 15th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Everynone will hail that Linux is ready for the desktop. For the nth time.

gletob
August 15th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Most PCs will have Ubuntu microsoft will file for bankruptcy and kill windows forever while Apple will transition to a linux based OS X and still sell overpriced hardware

Lots of other distros remain but with small user bases

It will be named Ubuntu Ultimate Universe

Ubuntu will be on phones PMPs PDAs cars tvs servers and other electronics

And I will be a UF Moderator

Changturkey
August 15th, 2008, 05:11 AM
The the default theme will still be like Gutsy. All ideas from the "community" for the default look will be ignored.

:)..

Xzallion
August 15th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Flash will work as well on Linux as it does in windows. The sound back-end problems will be fixed with this pulse thing. Open Documents will be required and we will see more compatibility with MS Office/ OpenOffice There will also be a rise in games that work with linux, and most of them will have a logo saying they support Ubuntu and Mac along with Windows. There will be a division between an eyecandy version of ubuntu and a more performance focused version of Ubuntu. Wacom tablets will work out of the box. Kubuntu will be using KDE 4.3.something.

Giant Speck
August 15th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Opensource will be everwhere and M$ will be out of business or Bill will become a spokes person of linux when he is like 90 >_>

Most PCs will have Ubuntu microsoft will file for bankruptcy and kill windows forever while Apple will transition to a linux based OS X and still sell overpriced hardware

I seriously doubt that Linux will be able to destroy two corporations. That's just stupid to think that. People will still continue to use Microsoft and Apple Operating Systems because they will be the two most "experienced," if you will, operating systems out there. They've already made a name for themselves -- a name that people recognize.

In my opinion, Microsoft, Apple, and Linux-based distributions will all remain intact, and will perhaps interact with each other in a more user-friendly basis. Microsoft and Apple will still be able to sell their products as they have been for the past several years.

Now, the real question is: how do we know that in the next six years, a new type of operating system won't arise that will be stable and strong enough to actively compete with not only Microsoft and Apple, but also Linux?

kernelhaxor
August 15th, 2008, 09:01 AM
It would be much richer with great stability and touch functionalities and a lot faster.

Linux wud make its way into more and more portable devices and embedded systems. Microsoft will continue to rule the Desktop market (its market share might decrease but its share wud still be dominating). A lot of people talk here like as though Linux is the only OS tht wud continue to develop. They forget that even Windows and Mac OS continue to develop too, they'll get more advanced too.

uberdonkey5
August 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
hmm. But, linux is free, which is a boon to most young people (who lead computing). I don't think windows will continue to dominate. The ability for linux to be used on large & small computers, and the fact that developers allow windows files to be used, enables inter-changeability. I mean, if Linux ever DOES start to get a higher share windows will have to react fast otherwise people will be saying, yeh, but I'm not getting windows cos it won't open the native open-office files.

The changes I see to ubuntu involve broader usability, and it isn't just dependent on the ubuntu base system:

1. better games programmed specifically for linux OR better ability to use windows games in linux
2. a desktop ready linux (only kidding - well slightly kidding. I think what will happen is you will be able to type in specifications on web-site, and it will automatically configure the download version for you. Indeed you'll be able to select options before download. This will minimise download time and prevent having to find hardware devices.
3. We'll STILL be catching up with the latest hardware

I do expect windows to bring out new flashy stuff, although I believe people have reached the limit of what they want in terms of gimmicks, and are now interested in rapidly useable, powerful software (which linux can potentially excel in). One reason I switched to ubuntu is NOT because I have a rubbish computer, but because when I click on a button I want it INSTANTLY (that has always been the computer users dream, no?)

(In fact, sometimes it happens so fast with my computer in ubuntu, I end up opening the program 3 or 4 times. I've watched videos many times and thought, whats up with the sound? only to realise I have 3 copies running simultaneously!)

Also think technology will be increasingly integrated, and the lightweight potential of linux (and customisability) is ALREADY meaning its being used more in smaller devices. What is interesting is that hardware retailers are installing linux now on computers (esp. super portable) but at same cost as windows BUT with better hardware). Who wouldn't go for linux in these cases??

I HOPE that ALL hardware producers will be giving a choice of linux or windows preinstallation in the future. This will result in MANY more people using linux. What we need to do NOW is to make sure that ubuntu keeps up with new developments and actually, I think there should be a prettier front end that you can turn off, just to attract new users (who DOESN'T have a customised desk-top?)

oedipuss
August 15th, 2008, 09:33 AM
But still won't be able to come up with a good looking theme.

It won't need a theme .
What do you think the Matrix servers will be running ?

kevin11951
August 15th, 2008, 12:01 PM
It won't need a theme .
What do you think the Matrix servers will be running ?

i dont like to think of overlord mega-monopoly's running linux.

kirsis
August 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM
If the advancements are anywhere near as great as the ones since 2002, I can't even fathom the awesomeness than Linux will be.

Here's some predictions-slash-wishlist:

The boot-up will finally be text->framebuffer->X, not text->framebuffer->text->X, and the switches wont be so obvious.

Linux will have a substantially bigger userbase and an increasing number of proprietary software vendors will produce apps for it.

Canonical will have hired 100 top notch artists and designers, locked them in a basement, and they'll have produced the best default theme in the world.

Nautilus will have fixed the desktop so the icons aren't in a state of complete mess constantly.

An increasing number of hardware vendors will produce quality drivers for Linux.

Rashedul
August 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM
ATI will be closer to delivering on better drivers.

Ubuntu will be #2 on distro watch ranking right behind Winbuntu.

WinBuntu - a community driven project sponsored by Microsoft consisting of the Ubuntu base and other improvements from WinBuntu Professional Edition.

VitaLiNux
August 15th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Wow. 14.10. That's a while.
A little over 6 years.

But speculate, what will Ubuntu have/be like in 6 years?

By that time, Ubuntu will have Pwned Wind0ws in every aspect :guitar:

bruce89
August 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM
GNOME 2.48 will have been released, and people will still be arguing as to when GNOME 3.0 will happen.

Mozilla will have disappeared from non-Windows platforms.

Superkoop
August 15th, 2008, 07:58 PM
We won't be using computers in 6years time, heck, we won't even be using light bulbs...

China and Russia will have by then seemingly decided to get together and take over the world, but both countries are lying to the other, and they actually want everything for themselves. So after the rest of the world is in utter ruins (I will be moving to the shire at the first sign of trouble, so I will be living a nice life), China and Russia will go for the other, and in doing so, both countries soil will be so full of radiation, they are glowing.

Now in the off chance that doesn't happen, 14.10 will be approximately the same as it is now, just many things will work as they should perfectly. Microsoft and Apple will both be ahead in the desktop market, and things will mostly be as they are now, just we'll all be 6yrs older.

Sealbhach
August 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Hardware manufacturers will have followed Dell's lead and started shipping Ubuntu systems en masse.

Each hardware vendor will have it's own Ubuntu flavour, Dellbuntu, HPBuntu, Sonybuntu, Acerbuntu.

gletob
August 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM
we won't be using computers in 6years time, heck, we won't even be using light bulbs...

China and russia will have by then seemingly decided to get together and take over the world, but both countries are lying to the other, and they actually want everything for themselves. So after the rest of the world is in utter ruins (i will be moving to the shire at the first sign of trouble, so i will be living a nice life), china and russia will go for the other, and in doing so, both countries soil will be so full of radiation, they are glowing.

Now in the off chance that doesn't happen, 14.10 will be approximately the same as it is now, just many things will work as they should perfectly. Microsoft and apple will both be ahead in the desktop market, and things will mostly be as they are now, just we'll all be 6yrs older.
noooooooo!!!! The horrer