PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't make Update manager understand that I don't want the upgrade!!! Please help...

Truckerpunk
August 15th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Hey. I'm really fond of Ubuntu and how easy it is to use... And I like the Update Manager... But now I've run into some trouble. I run Sun Java(because it's the only way I can play Blood bowl over www.Fumbbl.com), and now the manager wants me to install OpenJDK java updates and I really don't want that.. Even though I have set the default Java interpretor to SUN I don't know if this upgrade will Fu#k me over... And everyhig is working like a charm now. So is there a way to make Ubuntu understand that I don't want the upgrade? (there aren't any cancel-button... and f I uncheck the updates and close the Update manager the "Updates available"-icon keeps sitting in my menu-bar. And I'm afraid that I will accidentally click the update button). Any help is highly appreciated.

spiderbatdad
August 15th, 2008, 01:02 AM
go to synaptic, select your installed version, go to the package menu, select "lock version."

Vadi
August 15th, 2008, 01:07 AM
So in synaptic, search for "openjdk", select it, then click on package -> lock version.

Truckerpunk
August 15th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Thanks a lot guys... Worked like a charm... One more thing added to my knowledge of Ubuntu... Great! And thanks for the fast replys.

tinny
August 15th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Why dont you remove OpenJDK? It really is just a waste of space having it installed if Sun Java is setup correctly.

If Sun Java is setup correctly....

java -version

Should result in something like...

java version "1.6.0_06"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_06-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b22, mixed mode, sharing)

If it is setup correctly remove OpenJDK...

sudo remove --purge openjdk*