PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions valued - Survey about computer & software usage

pan8609
August 14th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Dear all,

I am an MSc student from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).

As part of my current research programme, I am conducting a survey about computer usage habits and preferences. The survey is in the form of an online questionnaire which takes about 5 minutes for an average user to complete.

I would like to invite everyone to participate in this survey. Please visit the following URL if you are interested:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/58552/opensource

All collected data will be processed strictly in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Upon conclusion of the survey, the questionnaire (including data from respondents) will be transferred for offline storage and permanently removed from the online servers.

Your opinion is very important and I honestly appreciate your help.

Kindest regards,

James Pan
Information Systems and Innovation Group
Department of Management
London School of Economics and Political Science
Email: y.pan3#lse.ac.uk (replace # with @)

helliewm
August 14th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I have filled out the questionnaire and left a note (with contact details) for you to contact me at the end of the questionaire, via my website see below in my signature at the bottom of this response. I am extremely concerned there is a real lack of understanding re OSS, FLOSS and the politics behind it. Please do contact me via my web site in my signature or via the contact details I left at the end of the questionnaire.

Helen

Mazza558
August 14th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Isn't this study going to be massively biased, unless you have other people to study?

andrek
August 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Filled it out, it didn't took me much time to do it.

helliewm
August 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I would think he is studying others too. But the questionnaire misses out important Linux software KMail, KContact, KOffice, Gnome Office, Evolution, Claws, Mutt etc. No alternative to the iphone such as the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet running the debian derivate Maemo which I have or the ipod for eg I have a Linux compatible IAudio/Cowan MP3 Player. Konquer was not featured as a browser either and it is a major Linux browser as is Epiphany and Iceweasel. There was the expectation people purchase software no way for you register you do not purchase it due to Linux, OSS, FLOSS.

I don't think the questionnaire is suitable for the Linux community, at the moment.

I have asked him to contact me as may well be able to help. Its excellent research if it has a real understanding of the Linux community and FLOSS.

Helen

sparky64
August 14th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Filled in but a quick note, There are other media players than ipods etc
I use a creative iriver because of it's support for ogg and mp4 video playback.

andrek
August 14th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Filled in but a quick note, There are other media players than ipods etc
I use a creative iriver because of it's support for ogg and mp4 video playback.

Btw, there's no such thing as 'creative iriver' ( unless 'creative' is an adjective ). They're different companies.

And talking about the survey, I've noticed that too. I'm using iRiver t60 ( watching movies, even on 3" displays, defeats its own purpose.. ) and I didn't know what to tick.

pan8609
August 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Isn't this study going to be massively biased, unless you have other people to study?

There are indeed other people participating in the survey.
Also there are translated versions of the same questionnaire.

I can understand your concern, and there are measures in place to address this potential problem.

If I do a "summary-style, mix'em all" analysis of ALL the available data, it will definitely yield "biased results" (as it is likely that at the end of the survey there are more responses from the Linux community than from say Windows, or vice-versa).

But the purpose is to do a comparative study, so the analysis will be done in relation different user groups. The referrer address provides useful information as well.

I hope this clarifies.

helliewm
August 14th, 2008, 09:27 PM
There are indeed other people participating in the survey.
Also there are translated versions of the same questionnaire.

I can understand your concern, and there are measures in place to address this potential problem.

If I do a "summary-style, mix'em all" analysis of ALL the available data, it will definitely yield "biased results" (as it is likely that at the end of the survey there are more responses from the Linux community than from say Windows, or vice-versa).

But the purpose is to do a comparative study, so the analysis will be done in relation different user groups. The referrer address provides useful information as well.

I hope this clarifies.

Please see my previous comments there is really a real bias here twardso Windows/Apple users and a lack of understanding re Linux software eg web browsers/email clients/office alternatives etc and compatible hardware Nokia N810, iAudio, Freerunner open source mobile phone etc.

It can't be comparative if you do not understand these issues and the Linux Community, Floss etc.

Hope this helps.

Helen

aysiu
August 14th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I couldn't finish the survey, since question #14 doesn't have an answer I can select honestly:
14. What is your preferred way of buying and obtaining software products (suppose all 3 choices are available)?
Purchase in-store
Purchase online and receive hard-copy through postal or courier service
Purchase online and download over network
No preference I don't buy software. The option no preference indicates I would consider all three of the prior options equally preferable. It doesn't mean I don't buy software.

pan8609
August 14th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I would think he is studying others too. But the questionnaire misses out important Linux software KMail, KContact, KOffice, Gnome Office, Evolution, Claws, Mutt etc. No alternative to the iphone such as the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet running the debian derivate Maemo which I have or the ipod for eg I have a Linux compatible IAudio/Cowan MP3 Player. Konquer was not featured as a browser either and it is a major Linux browser as is Epiphany and Iceweasel. There was the expectation people purchase software no way for you register you do not purchase it due to Linux, OSS, FLOSS.

I don't think the questionnaire is suitable for the Linux community, at the moment.

I have asked him to contact me as may well be able to help. Its excellent research if it has a real understanding of the Linux community and FLOSS.

Helen

Thanks for your response.

Exactly as you said, you don't like and don't use iPhone/iPod. The reason is obvious, they don't work well with F/OSS. But you can't say that unless with evidence right? You can't discuss something before proving its existence. And sometimes you just have to prove something even if we all know it. Academic is this boring if I had to admit...

But what I feel from your first reply (before you edited it) is that, people who {don't know other MP3 players than iPod; don't know other phones than Symbian/WinMobile; don't know other office suites than MS Office/OpenOffice.org; etc.} are not suitable for/welcomed by the Linux community.

The questions might seem naive to you and probably many other people here.
But the study is about some of the social aspects of F/OSS adoption, it is not supposed to be a technical survey. By saying "adoption" we must consider those outsiders. Believe it or not, this questionnaire has already been proven difficult to some people.

So maybe I was wrong in inviting all the people here to fill this dumb questionnaire. Apologize if that's the case.

billgoldberg
August 14th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I couldn't finish the survey, since question #14 doesn't have an answer I can select honestly: I don't buy software. The option no preference indicates I would consider all three of the prior options equally preferable. It doesn't mean I don't buy software.

Same here.

The only software I bought in the last 5 years was counterstrike source.

I bought it in a store, so I picked that one.

Also, I never buy stuff on the internet, so that option seemed the best.

helliewm
August 14th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Yes you are inviting the wrong people here. For example, I do not use the Ipod/Apple/Windows etc becauxse its is closed source. I really ethically opposed to closed source. Once again you have completely missed the politics re open source and closed source software and hardware.

It has has absolutely nothing to do with whether an ipod, for example. works in Linux and everything to do with the fact Apple is closed software and does not support open source in anyway.

Also see comment below I too could not answer this question for exactly the reason as in Aysiu's comment below so I put anything down to get to the end of the Survey so I could leave you feed back.

---Quote (Originally by aysiu)---
I couldn't finish the survey, since question #14 doesn't have an answer I can select honestly: I don't buy software. The option no preference indicates I would consider all three of the prior options equally preferable. It doesn't mean I don't buy software.

---End Quote---
Same here.

Also, I never buy stuff on the internet, so that option seemed the best."

You really need a far better understanding of the Linux/Floss Community. As well as open source and closed source politics. I am not sure this forum is appropriate for your Survey.

Edit: As I have said before it very biased towards Windows/Apple with no real understanding of the Linux/Open Source. Perhaps you should have participated in the Community used the software/hardware etc first.

Helen

aysiu
August 14th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Maybe if you explain exactly what the goal of the survey is, we could help you finetune the questions and answer choices?

Sealbhach
August 14th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I have to use Windows at work but use Ubuntu at home so I answered only with reference to my home computer use. Is that OK?

zmjjmz
August 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Question 14 does not make allowances for people who don't "buy" software, but rather download OSS or pirated software.

Also, a lot of the choices presented do not make allowances for devices outside of the PS3, XBox 360, Blackberry, etc. like the Nokia Nxxx, iRiver devices, etc.

cariboo
August 14th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I worked for a market research firm back in the 80's while going to school. Most surveys are paid for by some company or organization that already know what answer they want, this is just for data to prove their point.

Jim

wyliecoyoteuk
August 14th, 2008, 10:56 PM
also, question number 4 only allows one selection.

The survey is far too limited and biased in it's attitude to prove anything.

I manage a heterogeneous windows/linux/mac network.
So, at work, I buy software for all 3 platforms.
At home I only use Linux, and I don't buy software.
I do, however, donate to several community projects.
I think that you just don't understand the field well enough to ask the right questions.

pan8609
August 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I have to use Windows at work but use Ubuntu at home so I answered only with reference to my home computer use. Is that OK?

That's absolutely fine, thank you..

Sealbhach
August 14th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I couldn't finish the survey, since question #14 doesn't have an answer I can select honestly: I don't buy software.

Yeah, that's right. It's not really possible to answer the Qaire fully. Like, I picked 0-4 software products bought when in fact it is actually 0.

We don't buy software, peeplz gives it to us.

pan8609
August 15th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Yes you are inviting the wrong people here. For example, I do not use the Ipod/Apple/Windows etc becauxse its is closed source. I really ethically opposed to closed source. Once again you have completely missed the politics re open source and closed source software and hardware.

It has has absolutely nothing to do with whether an ipod, for example. works in Linux and everything to do with the fact Apple is closed software and does not support open source in anyway.

Also see comment below I too could not answer this question for exactly the reason as in Aysiu's comment below so I put anything down to get to the end of the Survey so I could leave you feed back.

---Quote (Originally by aysiu)---

---End Quote---
Same here.

Also, I never buy stuff on the internet, so that option seemed the best."

You really need a far better understanding of the Linux/Floss Community. As well as open source and closed source politics. I am not sure this forum is appropriate for your Survey.

Edit: As I have said before it very biased towards Windows/Apple with no real understanding of the Linux/Open Source. Perhaps you should have participated in the Community used the software/hardware etc first.

Helen

For many of the questions there isn't a long list of options that fall within the open source domain. Such as the one about Email clients and the one about mobiles. That's probably what you are not happy with. It's not my intention to study the percentages of different email clients (or whatever).
That would probably end up with 40+ choices, and everyone will be happy I suppose?

No offence, but how do you reach the conclusion that this survey is biased if you don't know what it's trying to prove? Because it is biased in a manner other than what you've expected?

By the way I do use Ubuntu, if that's what makes me eligible to talk to you. However I'm not ethically opposed to closed source...

P.S. Would you call Mutt's slogan as biased?:)

zmjjmz
August 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I think the problem with the mobiles was the lack of "Other".

helliewm
August 15th, 2008, 07:44 AM
No offence, but how do you reach the conclusion that this survey is biased if you don't know what it's trying to prove? Because it is biased in a manner other than what you've expected?

Its biased as there none of the major hardware Nokia N810, for example, that supports open source are NOT listed as an option. There is also no option for people who do not buy software. You are also missing very major Browsers/Email Clients such as Evolution, Kmail, Konquer aNd Epiphany.

We are not talking about listing 40 alternatives, just to ensure the major software and hardware are covered

This shows a real lack of understanding about Linux/Open Source Software and also shows a real bias towards Apple/Microsoft.

If contributed to the Community, you only have 1 post in the forums, and asked for help people would help you fine tune the questions. It would also be helpful to explain what you are trying to achieve.

EDIT: There is also the fact that it never crossed your mind that people may be ethically opposed to closed source as with our discussion over the IPOD.You thought the only issue was that it did not work in Linux, in actual fact you can get the IPOD working in Linux but I chose not to support Apple as it is closed source and does not support open source in anyway. This is also reflected in the fact there is no option for people who do not buy software and support open source software. This has prevented people in the forum finishing your Survey.

Helen

helliewm
August 15th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I forgot to say (see my last post) by not including open source Linux equivalent hardware/software you are missing a whole body of people who use similar hardware/software to Windows/Apple products as they cannot answer your questions. Once again evidence of bias.

I am not talking about listing 40 alternatives just the major open source Linux hardware and software so you can include people who are using similar/same technologies.

Hope this helps.

Helen

grossaffe
August 15th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks for your response.

Exactly as you said, you don't like and don't use iPhone/iPod. The reason is obvious, they don't work well with F/OSS. But you can't say that unless with evidence right? You can't discuss something before proving its existence. And sometimes you just have to prove something even if we all know it. Academic is this boring if I had to admit...
That may be one reason for people not purchasing iPods, but there are other reasons. Personally, I found that iPods are overpriced as they cost much more than their competition while providing less functionality. I purchased my digital media player before I had gotten into linux and FOSS, so that wasn't one of my concerns.

But what I feel from your first reply (before you edited it) is that, people who {don't know other MP3 players than iPod; don't know other phones than Symbian/WinMobile; don't know other office suites than MS Office/OpenOffice.org; etc.} are not suitable for/welcomed by the Linux community.
I would say its more along the lines of people who know about and use linux are the same people who know about and more likely (relatively) to use non apple devices. I'd venture to say the people who don't know there is more to the market than iPods also don't know there is more to the computer market than Microsoft and Apple. Of course that's just speculation on my part.

pan8609
August 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Its biased as there none of the major hardware Nokia N810, for example, that supports open source are NOT listed as an option. There is also no option for people who do not buy software. You are also missing very major Browsers/Email Clients such as Evolution, Kmail, Konquer aNd Epiphany.

We are not talking about listing 40 alternatives, just to ensure the major software and hardware are covered

This shows a real lack of understanding about Linux/Open Source Software and also shows a real bias towards Apple/Microsoft.

If contributed to the Community, you only have 1 post in the forums, and asked for help people would help you fine tune the questions. It would also be helpful to explain what you are trying to achieve.

EDIT: There is also the fact that it never crossed your mind that people may be ethically opposed to closed source as with our discussion over the IPOD.You thought the only issue was that it did not work in Linux, in actual fact you can get the IPOD working in Linux but I chose not to support Apple as it is closed source and does not support open source in anyway. This is also reflected in the fact there is no option for people who do not buy software and support open source software. This has prevented people in the forum finishing your Survey.

Helen

That iPod and Mobile question is the last one I suppose, and it's been filled ONLY with proprietary-locked products.
Why? Just to make it look biased?
I guess it can be left blank.

Thank you for explaining why you don't use those stuff. Much appreciated.

I assume there are people who don't use the exact same products for different reasons. But the simple fact that they don't use is pretty much all I need, it proves.
Otherwise there will be loads of questions following that one, if I really want to find out why by using this questionnaire.

pan8609
August 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM
That may be one reason for people not purchasing iPods, but there are other reasons. Personally, I found that iPods are overpriced as they cost much more than their competition while providing less functionality. I purchased my digital media player before I had gotten into linux and FOSS, so that wasn't one of my concerns.

I would say its more along the lines of people who know about and use linux are the same people who know about and more likely (relatively) to use non apple devices. I'd venture to say the people who don't know there is more to the market than iPods also don't know there is more to the computer market than Microsoft and Apple. Of course that's just speculation on my part.

Yes.
And the result from here matches what you've said, that people who use FOSS tend to stay away from Apple[SONY,M$...].
For the opposite idea, it's still unclear, at least not from the survey.

barbedsaber
August 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
hang on, people BUY software?
what, with money?
wow.

zmjjmz
August 15th, 2008, 01:15 PM
hang on, people BUY software?
what, with money?
wow.

Yeah I know what is this the stone age?

at2smithjason
August 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Filled out the survey for you. I hope this helps your on your study.

hrod beraht
August 16th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I couldn't finish the survey, since question #14 doesn't have an answer I can select honestly:

14. What is your preferred way of buying and obtaining software products (suppose all 3 choices are available)?
Purchase in-store
Purchase online and receive hard-copy through postal or courier service
Purchase online and download over network
No preference
I don't buy software. The option no preference indicates I would consider all three of the prior options equally preferable. It doesn't mean I don't buy software.

I agree that this seems to be a flawed question. There isn't an accurate option for a FOSS user to choose if they only use free/libre software. I don't buy software either.

Bob

helliewm
August 16th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Quite this relates to my earlier discussion, there is no understanding of FOSS/Open Source.

Its all rather an irritating waste of time. He/she also claims to use Ubuntu but has one post relating to 2006 and fails to include major Linux browsers/email clients and software/hardware that supports FOSS as well as leaving us with a question we are completely unable to answer.

Something not quite right here:confused:

Helen

NovaAesa
August 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Did anyone else find it ironic that a questionaire partly about FOSS puts you into a draw for an iStore gift card at the end?

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Did anyone else find it ironic that a questionaire partly about FOSS puts you into a draw for an iStore gift card at the end?

That gave me a good laugh also.

helliewm
August 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Dam missed that. I can't help thinking although we all genuinely want to help people this type of thing should be monitored especially when posted by someone who has not participated in the community. One post 2006 relating to Hoary.

My Organisation uses 100% Ubuntu I have personally offered to him off the forum. Additionally remembering my stats from Univ I fail to see how this can be comparative study when he fails to include to major Linux software/hardware:confused:

He has also included a question relating to how we obtain software that we are completely unable to answer

He has failed to respond to the question as the purpose of this study.

All rather worrying as the LSE is a very highly thought of college at the University of London. I studied at an adjacent college to the LSE which is part of the University of London. I have to say that was the key reason for me responding to this Survey.

Helen

pan8609
August 17th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Dam missed that. I can't help thinking although we all genuinely want to help people this type of thing should be monitored especially when posted by someone who has not participated in the community. One post 2006 relating to Hoary.

My Organisation uses 100% Ubuntu I have personally offered to him off the forum. Additionally remembering my stats from Univ I fail to see how this can be comparative study when he fails to include to major Linux software/hardware:confused:

He has also included a question relating to how we obtain software that we are completely unable to answer

He has failed to respond to the question as the purpose of this study.

All rather worrying as the LSE is a very highly thought of college at the University of London. I studied at an adjacent college to the LSE which is part of the University of London. I have to say that was the key reason for me responding to this Survey.

Helen

I guess you mean King's?

Since the survey is coming close to its conclusion, I think it's ok at this stage to say something more in detail.

As to the purpose of this study, we are trying to identify the factors that are preventing the (wider)adoption of FOSS for "generic" computer users.

What we mean by "generic" is basically people who:
are not specialised in IT or related fields, either as a current/former/intended student or professional;
are not computer-gurus or hobbyists who are likely to have strong incentives of trying, learning and accepting new things like FOSS ("new" as from their perspectives. Not to mean FOSS is itself new)

In addition, the context we've chosen is the use of computers for non-work-related purposes, so it doesn't matter if their companies use Windows or Linux.

Before rolling out this survey, we realised that the majority of our target group has little or no experience in FOSS. So we couldn't ask more questions specifically related to FOSS as they won't be able to give answers.

So the viable strategy of the survey itself is to study what they mostly do with computer, what are their preferences with regard to Browser, Email, IM service and software acquiring etc., then relate these details to their perceptions of and behavioural intentions toward FOSS. There are many compositions we can do, such as the possession of proprietary products among FOSS users in comparison with other users.

When more such comparisons are made, we'll probably know what's putting people off from FOSS.

Question: Why the ... did you put this piece of ... on here (as it really seemed to be focusing on the OTHER people) ?

We decided however, to post the survey here despite the questions all seemed pointless and biased to you. But the responses from all of you will serve a useful point of reference. Moreover, the criticisms on the questionnaire itself will also be one of our topics of discussion.

We as humans (nearly)always try to infer "what's the question behind the question", but when doing a survey you'll know that's not so good.:( We don't want people to incline to our desired answer, do we?

To answer the other question of why there are such limited ranges of options for Web Browser and Office suite etc., I think some charts can explain a little.

These are based on approx. 100 randomly selected responses originated from the FOSS community.

http://pan.ac.webfusion.co.uk/q9.PNG

http://pan.ac.webfusion.co.uk/q10.PNG

Uh... I'm really surprised by this, why??:
http://pan.ac.webfusion.co.uk/q1.PNG

Twitch6000
August 17th, 2008, 03:44 AM
That was pretty easy to answer :).

I wish we could get more surveys like this around here that was fun :).

pan8609
August 17th, 2008, 04:10 AM
That was pretty easy to answer :).

I wish we could get more surveys like this around here that was fun :).

When you are asked to provide "facts about facts", that's the thing to do to get easy answers.

Though sometimes you learn more from besides what you've done...:(

pan8609
August 17th, 2008, 04:19 AM
That gave me a good laugh also.

Perhaps we could find something else of equivalent value...:confused:

helliewm
August 17th, 2008, 09:04 AM
are not specialised in IT or related fields, either as a current/former/intended student or professional;
are not computer-gurus or hobbyists who are likely to have strong incentives of trying, learning and accepting new things like FOSS ("new" as from their perspectives. Not to mean FOSS is itself new)"

There seems to be a very big assumption being made her that people who use Ubuntu are only playing with Linux/foss

Realistically then this forum is not the best place for this questionnaire as there are mixture of people here. Apart from using Ubuntu professionally at my organistaion, which I set up, The BIg Opt Out I am also a Cabinet Member and Councillor and IT policy is part of my portfolio. At home I am a keen hobbyist. A large number of us are hobbyists and a large number also work IT professionally.BigKen on the forums lives down the road from me( I met him through these very forums) he is the same he runs his own IT Repair Company that also specialises in Ubuntu and is a hobbyists too. I going over to Ken's on Mon am one of IT Ubuntu projects has gone wrong.

Outside of the forums I have a friend who uses Linux professionally and is a hobbyist.

You really needed screening questions in there as you need to rule out people like my friend, Ken and I.

I may lead a national UK Campaign against the government centralised database for medical records NHS Care Records but I am very IT literate. BBC journalists tell me I am two stories in one:)

Just because Ubuntu is good for newbies does not mean its not good for experienced Linux uses, its still excellent for the professionals and hobbyists too.

Screening questions where needed here. Yes I am also probably the lone female here:)

I also feel these type of Surveys need to be monitored/screened by the Moderators as its inappropriate to a lot of Ubuntu users and it has been posted by someone who has made by no contribution to the Community. This is all rather an irritating, inappropriate and a waste of time. This must apply to other Ubuntu users too.

Helen

Edit: Yes I did some programming at Univ too. University of London like you.

rune0077
August 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM

You really shouldn't speak for all of us here. I couldn't care less if my software is open or closed source, as long as it's free and does what I need it to do, I'm happy. And I like my iPod and my iPhone (those where not free, though, by a long shot). I refuse to see anything political and/or religious in something that boils down to strings of ones and zeros.

helliewm
August 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
You really shouldn't speak for all of us here. I couldn't care less if my software is open or closed source, as long as it's free and does what I need it to do, I'm happy. And I like my iPod and my iPhone (those where not free, though, by a long shot). I refuse to see anything political and/or religious in something that boils down to strings of ones and zeros

Apologies but see my previous post. There would appear to be a big assumption that people who use Ubuntu are not keen hobbyists and/or do not use IT/Linux/FOSS professionally.

Also other Ubuntu users have similar views to mine:

I agree that this seems to be a flawed question. There isn't an accurate option for a FOSS user to choose if they only use free/libre software. I don't buy software either.

Bob

See comment by Survey Owner below where it appears a big assumption seems to be being made that Ubuntu users do not use Linux/IT professional are not keen hobbyists Is this why this forum was used for the Survey?

As to the purpose of this study, we are trying to identify the factors that are preventing the (wider)adoption of FOSS for "generic" computer users.

are not computer-gurus or hobbyists who are likely to have strong incentives of trying, learning and accepting new things like FOSS ("new" as from their perspectives. Not to mean FOSS is itself new)

Hence there should be screening questions to rule people such as myself out. Or the Survey owner should have explained in his first post exactly what target audience he wanted to complete the Survey.

This will not just apply to me but other Ubuntu users also. I am not the only person to use Ubuntu/IT professionally as well as being a keen FOSS hobbyist.

Helen

Edit: Both Kings and Birkbeck so you are in my old stomping ground:)

pan8609
August 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Apologies but see my previous post. There would appear to be a big assumption that people who use Ubuntu are not keen hobbyists and/or do not use IT/Linux/FOSS professionally.

Also other Ubuntu users have similar views to mine:

See comment by Survey Owner below where it appears a big assumption seems to be being made that Ubuntu users do not use Linux/IT professional are not keen hobbyists Is this why this forum was used for the Survey?

Hence there should be screening questions to rule people such as myself out. Or the Survey owner should have explained in his first post exactly what target audience he wanted to complete the Survey.

This will not just apply to me but other Ubuntu users also. I am not the only person to use Ubuntu/IT professionally as well as being a keen FOSS hobbyist.

Helen

Edit: Both Kings and Birkbeck so you are in my old stomping ground:)

It's not about screening anyone out. We want to know what's putting less-technically-adapt people off from FOSS. But if we know what the situation looks like on current FOSS users, we could better justify the findings.

To your concern on #40:
I've PMed one of the moderators asking about the adequacy before posting this, but didn't get response. But hey, I think it's not difficult to get this 'irritating' thread removed if you ask the moderator :)

helliewm
August 17th, 2008, 04:59 PM

It's not about screening anyone out. We want to know what's putting less-technically-adapt people off from FOSS. But if we know what the situation looks like on current FOSS users, we could better justify the findings.

These 2 Statements do not make sense. What is the audience for the Survey? On one hand you say you only want "generic" users. You then say want to know "what the situations looks like on current FOSS users? See 2 statements you made above.

This is very contradictory??

Helen

aysiu
August 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM
But if we know what the situation looks like on current FOSS users, we could better justify the findings. Then make sure you provide an "Other" or "does not apply to me" or "none of the above" option for all the required questions.

pan8609
August 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM
These 2 Statements do not make sense. What is the audience for the Survey? On one hand you say you only want "generic" users. You then say want to know "what the situations looks like on current FOSS users? See 2 statements you made above.

This is very contradictory??

Helen

I mean: "if we ALSO know what the situation is on current FOSS users, we could better justify on findings on the 'generic users'."

pan8609
August 17th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Then make sure you provide an "Other" or "does not apply to me" or "none of the above" option for all the required questions.

Yes but a couple of them have been missed out, that's my mistake.

helliewm
August 17th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Many thanks for that clarification but see previous my post. It still does not explain your target audience for the Survey? Its all very contradictory.

Helen