PDA

View Full Version : When do you think you'll be using Ubuntu's "out of the box" theme/settings?

Mazza558
August 14th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I hardly see anyone currently just using the default appearance settings for Ubuntu. When do you think the situation will change for you, if ever?

niccholaspage
August 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM
When I installed 8.04 on this laptop I used the Glossy Theme And customized everything.Than I upgraded to the 8.10 Intrepid Version and I used the NewHuman theme which is default.

dca
August 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Okay, I'll bite. I'm guilty of changing default themes/icons since 5.10... This may change w/ the release of Ibex because all the changes that were planned for 8.04LTS were pushed back so Hardy could look the same as other prev releases. From what I've seen of the mock-ups for Ibex seem pretty impressive but I think Human icons will still be there.

The weird thing is I use SuSE's defaults for Ubuntu: Tango icons & Guillouche themes from GNOME's website.

lukjad
August 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I already have used the Ubuntu Default look. I don't mind it but I am now using Ubuntu Studio and it is really hard to read anything with the default and I tweaked it.

cardinals_fan
August 14th, 2008, 06:01 PM
When Ubuntu includes a minimal Openbox using the Elegant Brit theme.

kirsis
August 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Configuring and tweaking the appearance was fun for about a month after switching to Linux. Nowadays I just use the defaults as I can't be arsed with customizing it.

I'm one of those guys who doesn't want or even like choice much in certain areas :)

jomiolto
August 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
When they disable Compiz by default, switch to only on panel at the bottom of the screen (semi-transparent to blend in better with the background) and include icons in the panel for most of my favourite applications. In other words: never :)

grossaffe
August 14th, 2008, 06:31 PM
All I did was change my background. I'm too friggin' lazy to change much more than that.

Superkoop
August 14th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Ubuntu: as soon as there is no more ornage and brown...AKA, never.

hessiess
August 14th, 2008, 06:37 PM
when thay get rid of compiz completley, switch to a tialing window manager and use a dark and lo contrast theme.

ajgreeny
August 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I don't like the brown/orange, so that has to go; I prefer a single panel with the simple gnome menu rather than the menu bar so I do that, and I much prefer the mist theme. So quite a few changes, but that is the joy of Linux/Ubuntu isn't it? And it takes all of 60 seconds or so to do.

smartboyathome
August 14th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Never, ever. I change my theme too much to use any one theme for a significant amount of time. Plus I use Arch, which doesn't come with Ubuntu's theme, anyway. :P

trig
August 14th, 2008, 07:46 PM
i use a custom version made by my friend, in cambridge ohio. i use the same load screen as when it came. the only thing i changed is my wallpapers and i make crappy versions of them.

MaxIBoy
August 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I just like to play with the settings. It's fun.