PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Login after Logout Failure in Hardy Heron

afuchs
August 14th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Dear Board Members,

I attempted to search the Board for solutions to my problem, and there are indeed threads with similar titles and people with similar problems, but it did not help me, and the information offered seemed to be somewhat indecisive, owing to the fact that it might be highly specific.

So let me recapitulate, adding individual specifics, and ask you for your most needed help.

I have Hardy installed on an HP Compaq 6910p with Gnome.
Everything seems to work fine until I try to log out and then log in again.
What happens then is that my background colour (not the pic) appears, and at the point where a login sound must be heard (I suppose this is where Gnome must come in), the system stalls in silence, nothing happens for about half a minute, whereupon a grey terminal window likeness without prompt appears in the upper left corner, not reacting to any action (the mouse pointer changes to its text cursor version, but clicking avails nothing). At this point I can interact with the X-Server by using Ctrl-Alt-strokes; for example, I can go back to the greeting screen through Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and repeat the process, or reboot the laptop and log in normally.

I attach the .xsession-errors report full of warnings and misfirings I do not fully understand and would highly appreciate your elucidations and directions toward solving the problem.

It is true that being the only user of my laptop I do not experience extreme discomfort stemming from described flaw, but firstly, it might be indicative of further problems awaiting in the future and, secondly, the ability to log in and log out freely belongs to the area of elementary human rights, as we all know.