PDA

View Full Version : Must-have kids games

jonny
December 22nd, 2004, 10:45 AM
I'm building an ubuntu box as a Christmas present for for my mother-in-law and I guess she'll want some simple games to occupy her grandchildren. She's not going to have broadband, so I want to complete software installation by Christmas Eve.

What are the top ten must-have games for 5-10 year-olds? The kids are sophistcated enough to enjoy some adult-oriented games on Windows (eg Roller Coaster Tycoon) but I'd prefer avoid anything that involves too much violence and bloodshed.

soritong
December 22nd, 2004, 04:31 PM
I'm building an ubuntu box as a Christmas present for for my mother-in-law and I guess she'll want some simple games to occupy her grandchildren. She's not going to have broadband, so I want to complete software installation by Christmas Eve.

What are the top ten must-have games for 5-10 year-olds? The kids are sophistcated enough to enjoy some adult-oriented games on Windows (eg Roller Coaster Tycoon) but I'd prefer avoid anything that involves too much violence and bloodshed.
You should check out www.linuxforkids.org

They have plenty of games there, although I wouldn't call them sophisticated. Also, I'm sure you can buy some games .

A personal favorite of mine is SuperTuxCart (http://supertuxkart.berlios.de/). More games like that can be found at www.happypenguin.org

Razvan
December 23rd, 2004, 04:33 AM
You should check out www.linuxforkids.org

They have plenty of games there, although I wouldn't call them sophisticated. Also, I'm sure you can buy some games .

A personal favorite of mine is SuperTuxCart (http://supertuxkart.berlios.de/). More games like that can be found at www.happypenguin.org
what happened to TUXRACER?

jonny
December 24th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Thanks, guys. I just have time to check these out. If I can tear myself away from Pingus, that is... :D

HiddenWolf
December 25th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks, guys. I just have time to check these out. If I can tear myself away from Pingus, that is... :D

*grin*

I'm going to save up for a nvidia card, and then i'll go and be retro. :-)